Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elemire_gw

My musks, Austins and co

elemire
13 years ago

A few of my roses that I think I haven;t been showing off yet. :)

Musks:

Ghislaine de Feligonde

{{gwi:216144}}

Felicia

{{gwi:216145}}

Cornelia

{{gwi:216146}}

Ballerina

{{gwi:216147}}

Bouquet Parfait

{{gwi:216148}}

Plaisanterie

{{gwi:216149}}

Paul's Himalayan Musk

{{gwi:216150}}

Austins:

Geoff Hamilton - aged bloom since I forgot to take a pic when he was young. x)

{{gwi:212275}}

Alnwick castle - the fragrance is very nice of this one, raspberry-ish.

{{gwi:212279}}

Jude the Obscure

{{gwi:216152}}

Piligrim - probably, since I lost its tag. It is Austin almost certainly, just it is a wild guess which one exactly.

{{gwi:216154}}

Some other OGRs:

Macrantha Raubritter

{{gwi:216156}}

Ulrich Brunner Fills - so far in a one stick with 3 blooms stage.

{{gwi:216161}}

Ferdinand Pichard

{{gwi:216163}}

Perle d'or

{{gwi:216164}}

Few more interesting moderns:

Euphoria - Hybrid Hulthemia persica.

{{gwi:216165}}

Our Molly (Bright eyes) - got it mostly to stretch my rose order to 10 roses (to get one free haha) and it was quite a win in my garden, healthy, almost constantly in bloom and very bright.

{{gwi:216166}}

Some climbers:

Red Eden

{{gwi:216167}}

Nahema - it has that sheen to the petals that tea roses tend to have, which make them look glowing. Very elegant blossoms, from bud to self cleaning drop of petals at the same time. Quite a Lady rose. :)

{{gwi:216168}}

Climbing Elfe - extremely healthy rose.

{{gwi:216170}}

New dawn being pretty

{{gwi:216171}}

Paul Noel

{{gwi:216172}}

Spectabilis

{{gwi:216173}}

Here is a link that might be useful: The rest of my roses

Comments (18)

• inga007
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Loved all your photos, but thought Plaisanterie so dainty.
    Our Molly is really bright to the eye.
    Thank you.

• elemire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, Plaisanterie is quite delicate and dainty, although mine gets too much shade at the moment, because the thistles in front of it took off to sky high this year and have to be moved... I think whole shrub pics do not do it justice, because the blooms are small, but they are rather nifty, each one of them.

Our Molly is indeed very bright, I don't think one can get more red than that red. It should set hips also, so I am quite curious if she will stay decorative throughout our winter.

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

Those are beautiful roses, Elemire. It is great that you have enough room for them, I wish I could grow Plesanterie...

Masha

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

What a beautiful collection of roses you have, elemire. I enjoyed looking at all your other photos very much too. I was really taken with the very full pink mystery rose - gorgeous! It would be lovely if you could show us your whole garden so we can have an idea of what's planted where and the general plan. I have this picture in my head that you have a rather wild and romantic garden, my very favorite kind.

Ingrid

• elemire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The pink mystery one was really good this year, although it can ball in spring, this year it opened perfectly! It is some kind of HP I think, quite a bargain from a leftover bin. :)

I will try to take a picture of a whole garden some day, so you can see the whole overgrown mess. :D It is far less impressive to be honest, since most of my plants are in teenage years at the best, so the general view is still work in progress. x) There are a few shots in the link bellow, with the rest of the plants I grow.

Masha, the room part worries me a bit, since it is calculated that they do not get bigger than they are supposed to in my climate. But I also cannot get really big roses anymore, so a few semi's in this last autumn order probably will be the last bigger ones for a while.

Here is a link that might be useful: The other plants

• Krista_5NY
    13 years ago

I love the fragrance of Alnwick, one of my favorite Austins.

Delightful pics of your roses, I really like the clusters of blooms on the Hybrid Musks.

• altorama Ray
    13 years ago

Beautiful roses, don't you love Bouquet Parfait? It's one of my favorites.
    My Ballerina is naked, my Sally Holmes, Nymphenburg, all completely nude. :(

• elemire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My Ballerina so far does not seem to be bothered by disease that much, I hope she will stay that way.

I love Bouquet Parfait, it is very tidy shrub so far, nice habit, nice blooms, nice foliage. I also think he would look superb in a formal garden, because bloom clusters have something formaly-ish about them. I am quite impressed about Lens musks in general, I think I might get another one of his, Feeling.

• elemire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the compliments Krista, indeed, Alnwick has exceptional fragrance.

• berndoodle
    13 years ago

Interesting that your Lens roses are dainty. Here, both Plaisanterie and Bouquet Parfait are husky thugs. At the Lens nursery, they kept Bouquet Parfait pruned upright, no more than 4 x 4 feet/1.2 x 1.2m. Retaining the arching canes, mine is about the same height, more like 5 feet, and about twice as wide. As for Plaisanterie....one reaches the eaves of the house.

• elemire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am quite curious how big Plaisanterie eventually will get for me, I suppose she should be smaller than what it gets in the tropical climates. :) I will have to move it though this autumn, since even after I pruned back stuff that gets over the fence from the neighbors garden, she still gets too much shade there.

My Bouquet Parfait is still young, but I saw them in public planting and it seems they stay quite mannerly here even without much of pruning. A certain benefit of cooler climates for a smaller garden. :D

• elemire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Since Ingrid was curious how my garden generally looks like, here a a few pics, far less glorious than the close ups. :) Sorry for a quality though, I sneaked out at 7 am while the baby was sleeping, so the light was not all that great. :)

Here is where I started 2 years back, pics after a week of moving in, front garden:
    {{gwi:216176}}

Now it looks like this:
    {{gwi:216178}}

{{gwi:216180}}

{{gwi:216183}}

{{gwi:216185}}

The backgarden looked this:

{{gwi:216187}}

{{gwi:216189}}

Now it is different kind of mess. :D
    {{gwi:216192}}

{{gwi:216194}}

{{gwi:216196}}

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

WOW--what a great group of pictures----I like the way you showed the before and after pictures---very nice arbors-

You have some wonderful roses---

Florence-

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

WOW--what a great group of pictures----I like the way you showed the before and after pictures---very nice arbors-

You have some wonderful roses---

Florence-

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

your roses are SO GORGEOUS! I especially love your raubritter and felicia. I hope mine look as pretty someday!

• elemire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Florence - my dear husband appreciates the compliments, he made all the arbors himself. :)

Aimee, considering that I do not do any extra effort for mine Felicia and Raubritter, yours should do fine too. :) Raubritter for me is a bit slow to get growing, but I was really amazed how many flowers that puny plant can produce. He may be blooming once, but it really lasts long.

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

JUSt stopped in for another peek----you sure have some great roses and your DH has done a wonderful job with the arbors-

Florence