Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

reine des violettes came back! (etc)

aimeekitty
13 years ago

a little while ago, my very spindly band of Reine des Violettes dropped all its leaves (AGH!)... and those were like the only 3 leaves it's had since I planted it in January, so that was discouraging... but I fertilized all my roses about a week ago, and now RdV has new leaves! So I guess she doesn't completely hate me. I still might pot her up.

{{gwi:217061}}

a petal from one of my friend's hybrid teas

{{gwi:217063}}

bloom on Pomponella, one of my new bands from RVR. I saw a beautiful on HMF that someone had done on an obelisk and I'm tempted to try that in a pot. :)

{{gwi:217065}}

{{gwi:217068}}

part of my pot ghetto

{{gwi:217070}}

an older bloom of Jude the Obscure, still smells great and has such lovely color! The only reason I had this bloom was that I missed this bud. I've been trying to be good about pinching so I can get more plant growth. :)

{{gwi:217072}}

bonus: blue angel's trumpet

{{gwi:217074}}

Comments (8)

• elemire
    13 years ago

I am glad that your RdV is doing better, I might try and buy her after all next spring, so I can join up "Problems with RdV" club. Maybe leave her be where she is while she is showing wish to grow, maybe she settled in new place small bit, so disturbing her now might be not that good idea.

The Pomponella from what I remember had rather lax long canes, so your plan I think would work with that obelisk thingie. Still have to figure where I am going to put mine lol.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I hope your RdV makes it; it's such an enchanting rose and the fragrance is simply beautiful. Pomponella is a new rose to me but very pretty. Your pot ghetto seems to be thriving.

Ingrid

• mnkitty
    13 years ago

I'm glad your RdV is doing better. I love the color although, mine doesn't bloom as much as I wish it did. Maybe too much shade. I love your pomponella bud; it looks just like a peony bud minus the ants. How long does your angel's trumpet bloom. I was thinking of growing one in a pot and bringing it in for the winter.

Thanks,
    Kitty

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

RdV was one of the first roses I thought I wanted, but now that I've learned more about various ones, I'm more on the fence about her. But I'll keep babying this one and see how she does. :)

As to the Angel's Trumpet, I really don't know! I got it a couple months ago and it had some buds on it, then not for a while, and now it's blooming again. I have it in a pot. I guess they can get really big, so eventually I'll have to put it in a larger pot. I got it as an experiment. :)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

"...it looks just like a peony bud minus the ants."
    Heh heh heh. Funny!
    Renee

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Kitty----I too am nursing along my RdV-----I rescued this bush at Home Depot a couple of years ago----Just did not have the heart to walk away from her-----

Hopefully next year she will "leap" into bloom

Florence

• gnabonnand
    13 years ago

My Reine des Violettes took a while to get established. Now, years later, it's actually a remarkably tough rose in my garden, surviving quite well with my occasional neglect. Don't give up, she hasn't been around since 1860 without reason! I refuse to garden without her. At this moment, on our master bathroom counter, there is a perfect single RdV bud in a vase with her unique foliage all the way up to the bud. The bud hasn't even fully opened up yet, and you can already take in the legendary RdV fragrance.

Randy

• Krista_5NY
    13 years ago

Your pics remind me of spring, lovely pics.

Reine des Violettes is such a great rose, one of my favorites.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert