Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gnabonnand

Reine des Violette & Pretty Jessica

gnabonnand
14 years ago

The two most fragrant roses in my garden ... Reine des Violettes & Pretty Jessica.

Randy

{{gwi:217194}}

{{gwi:217195}}

Comments (15)

• mashamcl
    14 years ago

Wow, Randy, those two look stunning together! My Pretty Jessica never looks like this - looking at this picture I am beginning to wonder if I have ever seen a fully open bloom on mine:-(. Great pictures!

Masha

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

Randy, of all the pictures of Pretty Jessica I've seen (and we know we've seen lots lately!), this is the first that has really delighted me. It made me realize I've never seen a photo of this rose fully open with the stamens showing, and to me that's Jessica at her most beautiful. She and Reine Violette are a match made in heaven.

Ingrid

• rosecorgis
    14 years ago

Wow! Beautiful! I have both my baby Pretty Jessica's in bud now (thanks Randy!) and I have Reine Des Violette on order for the spring. I hope to grow it up a tuteur with Enchanted Evening. I think the deep purple and lavender will look good together.

You have a great pairing! I might have to plant one of my Pretty Jessica's at the foot of my future Reine des Violette.

Hmmmm... more garden plans!

Debbie

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

Randy, very beautiful roses and photos! It must be stunning in person. I can't wait - MY RdV is now almost 10" tall :)

I don't have Pretty Jessica but I hope to pair my RdV with SDLM or another pale pink somehow!

Lynn

• cincy_city_garden
    14 years ago

Great combo and wonderful composition!

• sherryocala
    14 years ago

Lovely, lovely!

Sherry

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Randy --those two blooms look fantastic together

Great photography

Florence

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

My Pretty Jessica is 3 years old, and I don't remember ever seeing her blooms open like that. I think they always retain the cupped form.

Maybe it has to do with amount of sun. How many hours of sun does your PJ get? Mine just gets 6 hours. Maybe a couple more hours of sun would open it up more? Dunno.

Kate

• User
    14 years ago

Beautiful combo. I must admit I almost always cut PJ and bring it home before it's fully opened.

• gnabonnand
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Masha, this is three days after the bloom opened. It stayed in its typical perfectly tightly cupped form for the first couple of days.

Ingrid, I'm glad you liked this one. Every bloom I've ever seen on my two Pretty Jessica roses have blown me away. The near lack of thorns and great fragrance is the icing on the cake.

Debbie, it's fun to plan where to plant roses and their companions. Sounds like you've got some good ideas.

Lynn, RdV & SdlM would look great together.

Eric, Sherry, & Florence glad you enjoyed!

Kate, they get about 8 hours of sun.

Joe, I can definitely understand that. The blooms on Pretty Jessica were made to bring inside for a vase.

Randy

• Missy_GardenWhimsy
    14 years ago

Beautiful photos, Randy! Those are two of my favorite Roses in my garden! I have 3 Pretty Jessicas and one Reine des Violettes. Wish that we lived closer...I would love to meet you and see your garden!
    Warm regards...Missy

• senko
    14 years ago

They are so beautiful togather. I have PJ and very tempted to get Reines des Violette. I wish I could be sure that the color will be similar. I have been discuraged by my experiences that the colors do not come out as I see on the catalogs or internet. Must be the soil thing.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    14 years ago

Oooooh I so love pink and purple together. Those are my most favorite color combos. Thanks for sharing. Now I have to talk myself out of getting two more roses. LOL, Judy

• aimeekitty
    14 years ago

wow, so beautiful! I just planted ReineDV in my yard, but it's just a little stick right now. thanks for sharing yours!

• kstrong
    13 years ago

If anyone is still looking for Pretty Jessica, despite David Austin Ltd's attempts to make her extinct in the US, she's available now, and ON SALE(!) at Heirloom right now in their "final sale of the year." $12.95 plus shipping, which is about as good as you will ever see for this fine rose.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty Jessica on sale