Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
5400jana

Some of My Roses

5400jana
13 years ago

I present here some of my favourite roses. I am a totally organic gardener, growing roses in a good, fertile soil. If there exist good varieties without any special care, why to waste money on fungicides? I started with English Roses and found some really great varieties in this group, but lots of them also had to leave. As time passed by my focus has moved from only beautiful, fragrant flowers more to the nice shrubs with lush, healthy foliage lasting long into the autumn.

{{gwi:219254}}

Tuscany Superb. A new additon to my garden, but took my breath away. What a beauty! Now I divide my gardening period to "before Tuscany Superb" and "after".

{{gwi:219255}}

Bouquet Parfait. A florist's dream. Healthy foliage.

{{gwi:219256}}

Abraham Darby. Blackspot prone, but blooms and fragrance of incredible beauty.

{{gwi:219257}}

Excelsa

{{gwi:219258}}

Paul's Himalayan Musk. Its vigour is unbelievable and can be a bit problematic.

{{gwi:219259}}

Glamis Castle. Excellent repeating, blackspot in the autumn, but without defoliation.

{{gwi:219260}}

Gold Reef

{{gwi:219261}}

Spanish Sun

P{{gwi:219262}}

Carefree Beauty, always in bloom.

{{gwi:219263}}

Carefree Wonder aka Dynastie

{{gwi:219264}}

Johann Strauss

{{gwi:219265}}

Buff Beauty

{{gwi:219266}}

Crown Princess Margareta

Other beloved roses are continuous flowering Schneewittchen (aka Iceberg) and Betty Prior, but nowadays I don't have better pictures to present them properly.

Jana, the Czech Republic

Comments (15)

• inga007
    13 years ago

Loved the photos of all your blooms.
    Thanks for posting

• vuwugarden
    13 years ago

How lovely!!!

I love the pics of Excelsa and Paul's Himalayan Musk! Very beautiful with them cascading over the wall and EATING the shed!

Off I go to purchase Paul's Himalayan Musk....

Audrey

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Your roses are simply lovely, and Tuscany Superb really is superb. Love those purple roses. Your roses all look really vigorous and healthy. I also garden organically and wish that everyone in the world did.

Ingrid

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

We have the same taste in roses. I have a number of these on my short list (Bouquet Parfait, Carefree Wonder) and your photos have confirmed my choices.

Your Gold Reef is a lovely shrub. The foliage, the color, what a pretty plant. And your climbers! Wow.

I love each and every one of your roses. Thanks for sharing them.
    Renee

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Your roses are gorgeous----I have Paul's Himalayan Musk--It is an incredible rose ----and a surviver of much neglect but each year it rewards me with a gorgeous display--

Carefree Beauty is another winner--

thanks for sharing these beautiful roses.

Florence

• labrea_gw
    13 years ago

Great photos Beautiful Roses!

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

usak, you are definitively growing very beautiful roses! I was happy when I read that you are also gardening organically like I do and proof the point that you can grow wonderful roses that way that don't have to fear the comparison with roses that get sprayed.

You seemed to be really in love with Tuscany Superb and I can understand why. I was also blown away when I saw it the first time in person.

Since I love white roses Bouquet Parfait looks really appealing to me. I have never heard of this rose. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Your hedge of Excelsa is absolutely stunning. It can't get more floriferous than that!

That Paul's Himalayan Musk is breathtakingly beautiful, too!

Another favorite for me out of the bunch that you posted is Johann Strauss. I really admire the delicacy of this rose and you captured it beautifully.

Thanks for sharing your roses here, I hope we will see more of your roses in the future.

Christina

• 5400jana
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks much for all your kind comments. Jana

• labrea_gw
    13 years ago

Gorgeous collection

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Just back for another peek at your beautiful roses
    Florence

• 5400jana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have to revise - Glamis Castle seems to be not hardy enough in my conditions, from three plants two died during this winter. But now I can post the photo of Betty Prior, which I hadn't before. I love her so much, it looks so romantic and cottage. Even its first year it behaved so well, creating a nice, vital, healthy bush and blooming almost non-stop. This is in its second year, planted in a group of three. More can be seen also on my pages, quite lonely in a growing season as there is not much time to contribute...I must enjoy my plants instead, nice weather is quite short here... Jana

{{gwi:219267}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening

• jumbojimmy
    12 years ago

Gosh! I hope my Abraham Darby looks like the one in your photo. My first year one keeps balling!

• 5400jana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Disease reference to the mentioned roses:
    Blackspot prone: Bouquet Parfait, Glamis Castle (terribly, also not hardy enough), Gold Reef, Spanish Sun (terribly), Carefree Wonder (terribly), Johann Strauss (terribly), Schneewittchen (a bit), Betty Prior
    A bit of anthracnose on Abraham Darby
    From these I still keep Abraham Darby, Bouquet Parfait, Gold Reef, Schneewittchen, others shovel pruned.

Jana

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Thank you for the follow-up. This is excellent information.
    Renee

• lenie
    12 years ago

wow i love your roses!i wish i know where i can buy bouquet parfait..i love my abraham darby and i just ordered my glamis castle im so excited!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery