Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jovy1097

Ducher through the year

jovy1097
14 years ago

Thought I would post some random pictures of my little tea rose, Ducher. These pictures were taken throughout the year. This is such a lovely little disease free rose. Seemed like the hotter it got, the better it bloomed. As far as I can tell, this is as carefree a plant as any Knockout.

{{gwi:219444}}

{{gwi:219445}}

{{gwi:219446}}

{{gwi:219447}}

{{gwi:219448}}

{{gwi:219450}}

{{gwi:219451}}

Comments (34)

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

Ducher is a rose I really like. Great pics. Thanks for sharing them.

Randy

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Great pictures---the blue makes a nice companion .

Florence

• Krista_5NY
    14 years ago

I love the look of the blue companion flower with the white blooms. It's a charming rose.

• jovy1097
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The blue flower is a plumbago and their is also a white four-o'clock growing next to the Ducher. I love the combination and intend to keep. Both plumbago and Ducher seem to like the same growing conditions - hot, almost tropical, Louisiana weather.

• rosemeadow_gardener
    14 years ago

It looks a very nice Tea rose. Great photos !

• organicgardendreams
    14 years ago

Jovy, this is indeed a very lovely Tea rose. I enjoyed that you are showing photos of her taken over a period of a couple of months.

As others I also like the combination of Ducher with the plumbago and the white four o'clocks a lot.

May I ask how old is your Ducher? Do you have any idea what the final size might be?

Christina

• jovy1097
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My Ducher is only planted a little over a year. However, I do know that they don't get all that big. Perhaps a 3'x3' mound. A good choice for a container, if that's what you're thinking.

• oldblush
    14 years ago

Beautiful pictures Jovy. I love Ducher, one of my favs. Think again about the size though. Mine is 3 years old from a cutting and is over 6 feet tall and wide. Another plus, I have yet to find a thorn on it.

• organicgardendreams
    14 years ago

Jovy, thanks for sharing your info about the final size of Ducher. I was not thinking to put this rose in a container just curious about the general space that this beautiful rose would need in a garden.

Oldblush, thank you too for sharing your size experience with Ducher, which is quite different in comparison to what Jovy is expecting the final size will be, yikes! Since the difference in size is so enormous I am wondering are we really talking about the same rose?

Christina

• Molineux
    14 years ago

What a pretty rose! I wonder if it is hardy in zone 6b?

Patrick

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

Having a series of pictures of this rose was a great idea. I had never really gotten a good idea of what Ducher was all about when presented with one close-up photo of a rather modest-looking rose. Seeing the bush and the flower at different stages of its development is really helpful. Thank you for posting.

Ingrid

• jovy1097
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't doubt that this rose can get large given the right conditions, but it is generally touted as small for a china rose. I got mine from Chamblee's, so you can read their description if you want. Mine hasn't grown nearly as large in the same time period as my Archduke Charles, for instance. What I really love about this plant is that it is such a full and attractive shrub even without the blooms.

"Oldblush" made a great point that I forgot to mention about this rose having few to no thorns. I just can't believe that it's not more popular. I recommend it to everyone in the South that asks me about roses. Ducher is the WHITE Knockout.

• berndoodle
    14 years ago

Those are lovely shots of a baby Ducher. I collected it from a very old cemetery plant, and I value it in my garden. The scent is strong. It has built into a fine, bushy 5 x 5 plant in my garden, and I doubt it's mature yet in Zone 9. BTW, Ducher was first issued as a China, not a Tea, although the plant has many characteristics of a Tea. Commentators have commented on the Tea-ness of Ducher for more than 125 years. Read the amusing 1887 description in Revue de l'horticulture belge et étrangère
    at the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Revue de l'horticulture belge et étrangère

• cemeteryrose
    14 years ago

That French commentary is funny indeed!

At hearst Castle, Fabien Ducher spoke with pride about his family having developed the only white China rose. Maybe with a bit of Tea in its breeding!

One of our rose garden volunteers is in love with Ducher. He's colorblind, so the white really appeals to him, but what he likes the best is its fragrance. He says it smells like Sauvignon Blanc- and it does!
    Anita

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

I am still trying to love mine.....I haven't quite gotten past the like stage yet. Jovy's speciman is quite stunning (especially in the second photo); mine isn't there. Yet?! There is also a picture of another beautiful one, potted, in ARE's The Guide to Antique Roses. When I bought mine from ARE last year, I'm sure that's what I was hoping it would look like :)

I'm going to prune it down this year and see if it does a little better.

Lynn

• Adgerlady
    14 years ago

Ducher has always been my favorite rose ever. :)

It's been a long time since I've really done much with my roses, especially read up on them. I have always labeled Ducher as a China, can you tell me if China and Tea basically mean the same thing? lol. Y'all please don't thump me - it really has been a long time.
    Sis

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

Hi, Sis. So good to "see" you here again!
    I've always thought of 'Ducher' as a china, rather than a tea ... but, perhaps that's because I always tend to favor the chinas over all other roses, so I choose to place it there mentally because I like Ducher so much :-)

Randy

• kaye
    14 years ago

As to Ducher's cold hardiness..we are a border 7/6 zone because of our location in the mountains in Arkansas. Coldest temp this year was 5 degrees..all the Duchers are already showing lots of new growth. They have withstood 12 years of heat and cold and are my original "love".

• Adgerlady
    14 years ago

Hi, Randy! It's good to see you too! :)

Sis

• tenor_peggy
    14 years ago

How big are its flowers? I'm considering it for a pot this fall. I especially liked that photo of the bee burrowing down into the blossom! :-)

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

I wonder if Patrick has had any luck with this lovely rose in his 6b garden---
    Florence

• jovy1097
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The flowers are rather small at first, but they get somewhat larger as the plant gets bigger. I'd say about 3" across. They are about like a Julia Child bloom in size, if you're familiar with that popular rose.

• jovy1097
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How about a follow-up? This is my first Ducher bloom of 2010. It is my second rose to bloom this spring.

{{gwi:219453}}

• organicgardendreams
    14 years ago

jovy, congratulations on your first bloom from Ducher. It is really pretty.

I am just curious what was your first rose to flower this year?

Christina

• jovy1097
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Archduke Charles was my first to flower. I have several others that are getting ready to bloom now. In about two weeks I should have roses flushing into bloom all over my yard.

• jovy1097
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yet another update on the wonderful Ducher. Here are some more pictures. This rose is in full spring flush and it could not hold another bloom on it. I'm including a whole bush shot along with some close-ups of the bloom clusters. There are so many blooms that the limbs are sagging to the ground!

{{gwi:219455}}

{{gwi:219457}}

{{gwi:219459}}

{{gwi:219461}}

• vuwugarden
    14 years ago

Aw, thank you, jovy, for posting these pics, especially the last series. I just purchased him (or is it her?) this past weekend.

From your photos on Apr 15, the last photo, Ducher has various bloom shapes. Is this usual of OGRÂs? Sorry for the newbie question.

• jovy1097
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's just various stages of bloom. The ones that look single are just losing the petals because they are done blooming.

• organic_tosca
    14 years ago

I LOVE it!!! So soft and elegant! It's my next rose if one of the ones I have dies (although I don't want that to happen). Love those folded petals and that little touch of lemon in the center.

Laura

• vuwugarden
    14 years ago

Thanks, jovi, for answering my newbie question. Sometimes the photos on the gallery do not look like the blooms of the same plant I have in my garden.

I thought I had received an incorrect plant, but now with your answer, it may be that the blooms are at different stages and I'd just never noticed.

Thanks for the clarification. You've saved me a lot of heart ache :)

• rinomanfroni
    13 years ago

I have a Ducher rose that bloomed in the Spring with two flushes, and then it stopped. It has not bloomed anymore so far. I don't know what the problem may be. This is a picture of my Ducher sharing the pot with other annuals for color because the rose was not blooming:

{{gwi:219464}}

• aly1651
    9 years ago

Ducher is one of the few white china roses. Is an Earthkind rose and very vigorous rose in my garden. I have to keep him trimmed back to keep from taking over. This is a very good choice for a shrub. Disease free and tough.

• missymoo23_(z9a_Tx)
    9 years ago

I have to beat Ducher with a stick! I planted him too close - expecting a 3'x3' bush. The more I trim the more he blooms!

I plan to move him to a 5'x5' space with some of my pinkies - hopefully they will make a nice hedge!