Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Growth/Rebloom on GH vs Ulrich Brunner Fils

kristimama
12 years ago

Hi everyone, Happy New Year.

What is the rebloom like on these two roses, Grandmother's Hat vs. Ulrich Brunner Fils? (What I mean is, does it rebloom in flushes, or one big flush with a little show in the fall, or does it always seem to have roses on it?

I'm trying to decide on where to place these two in the garden this Spring and I'm wondering from those of you familiar with them if you could offer me some comparisons on how they grow and bloom. (More specifically here in Northern Ca/East Bay.)

I have a pretty good grasp on the color differences, and it seems like they might have similar growth habits.

If there are any other big differences you can offer, it's all much appreciated.

Thanks!

-kmama

Comments (7)

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

Here in the South Bay, Grandmother's Hat has an excellent spring flush with more modest but decent repeat bloom cycling through several times over the summer into fall. I have not counted how many times it does this. Three? Four? Even five? Not sure. I've grown my GH plant for a while and quite honestly I don't remember if it did this right away or (as happens with some roses) it took a few years to get to this. The South Bay is just a little warmer and drier than the East Bay, Sunset zone 16 here.

I do not grow Ulrich Bunner Fils.

Rosefolly

• bluesibe
    12 years ago

I have both and both do well. GH is somewhat in shade, so it would probably do better in full sun. Both are beautiful and fragrant. Get both and give time for Ulrich to develop.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

I have not grown Ulrich Brunner fils. My tolerance-level for red HPs was long-ago exceeded. -- G --

GramHat likes sun, that she does. But she can do OK with half-day sun.
    For us, She's a "cropper," producing one big flush after another, and doing it as often as you care to deadhead her. All of ours (and we must have a dozen -- DH loves her) are just now coming into full bloom again.

Because we don't prune our Grandmother's Hats, they never stop repeating, and there are few times when I can't pick some for the house. In fact, I think I should pick a big bouquet of Grandmother's Hat and Mme. Berkeley, to take to the Santa Barbara Rose Society meeting, just to be contrary -- because, you know, roses shouldn't be blooming now, and they HAVE to be pruned. -- NOT! --

Jeri in Coastal Ventura Co.,
    Where it is at last chilly and wintery!

• kristimama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info, folks. Jeri, I love your description of the GramHat continuously blooming... that works for me. :-)

I own both, now I just need to put them in the ground!

• jerijen
    12 years ago

OK. But you do also need 'Gloire des Rosomanes' ("Ragged Robin"). REALLY YOU DO!

Jeri . . .

In Chilly Camarillo, CA
    Coastal Ventura Co., SoCal

• kristimama
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hahaha Jeri, really. REALLY? More roses? I'm the proud mama of about 16 little potted roses as it is. LOL I went NUTS last year and I"m already trying to figure out which ones I'm going to donate to the Celebration in El Cerrito.

:-)

• jerijen
    12 years ago

OF COURSE MORE ROSES!

The trick is to choose only roses that are undemanding, but at the same time beautiful. And I mean beautiful in foliage and plant habit, as well as bloom.

Jeri

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz