Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dcrd

Roses should be here today and Saturday!

My roses I ordered from Burling should be here today! I ordered for my arch, Flamingo Dancer and for the ground--Maroon Eight. Maroon Eight is a new release for this year. I love the color and the shape. My heart is going pitter patter this year for singles and semi-doubles. Since it was bred just south of me, this rose can take the heat and it doesn't fade! I am excited!

I spoke with DA roses yesterday and my order was being shipped that day. I have Lady of Shalott, and Lady Emma Hamilton from DA. I am thinking about getting a Darcey Bussell as well. According to the staff at DA, the blooms don't fade to an ugly orange red and the plant does very well in our heat. I may try it on a standard for the back of my yard. Jury is still out.

I already have Sister Elizabeth potted up and waiting for her new home (wherever that will be). She was from Heirloom.

I am still waiting for my Occhi di Fata and my Alnwick Rose from oh gosh, I can't think of their name this early in the morning. Great nursery with plants on own root in South Carolina. Always have great service and they carry the Barni roses.

I am excited and will be spending time potting up my new babies this weekend!

Comments (19)

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    9 years ago

How exciting. Mine aren't coming until March.

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

I love receiving goodies in the mail!

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I'm thrilled for you! It will be months yet before I see roses arriving.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

..I share your excitement....I think I need another fix myself....

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

How exciting. I got one of my rose orders a few days ago and I still have 3 more coming. I have been busy getting everything ready since I am going to put several of them in pots.
    ~SJN

• shopshops
    9 years ago

Great news. I feel your excitement! I've ordered from Regan's and Edmund's for the first time. Running out of room for antiques. I can't wait. Already received my Antique Rose Emporium order and must begin planting.

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

My garden is pretty much full these days, but I well remember the excitement of getting new roses in the mail.
    Happy planting!

Rosefolly

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Roses Unlimited perhaps for the Southern order? Great picks! The Austin Ladies you picked out are some of my favorites of his. I just love the red growth and habit of the shrub of Lady Emma Hamilton. I didn't know Burling had new releases this year that she had bred, so thanks for that info!

Jay

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I share your excitement. The planning and ordering are definitely a great part of the fun of rose gardening. I thought I was done with ordering but recently lost some roses to canker and the positive part of that is being able to try some new roses. I ordered La France two days ago, and tomorrow I'll be going to a local nursery. I've picked four roses to buy there, Rina Hugo, Irene Watts (which is most probably Pink Gruss an Aachen), Souvenir de St. Anne's and Carefree Beauty. I can't wait to get them in the ground and see some blooms this year.

Ingrid

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well USPS has lost my roses from Burlington! :(

• damask55linen
    9 years ago

Nooooooo!
    That makes dropping my king size glass peanut butter jar to smithereens not so catastrophic.
    I really hope for you it will turn out ok.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I hope they find them. You must have my carrier

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

On no! I'm sorry to hear that! I'm always so excited for the arrival of new roses in the mail. That would be a total let down. Hopefully they'll find them quickly and you'll still get them in tolerable condition. Burling is usually so quick with shipping.

Jay

Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I got them tonight when I got home from work. They look great from what I could see in the dark. I unpacked them, gave them a little drink and put them to bed in the garage for now.

They look to be good size for own root. Maroon Eight looks like it has no thorns! I cannot wait to see blooms eventually on these roses. Maroon Eight especially. It is a beauty in the pictures.

I have no clue where these puppies have been. I live maybe 60 miles north of Burlington and they were sent express mail. They should have been here on Tuesday. Ants could have carried them faster. However, I am thrilled to have them and was busy talking and caring for my new babies. I should get my DA roses tomorrow!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

How fun to have Maroon Eight a Burling rose

Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy, I am so excited about this rose. The picture is gorgeous! The plant looks great and has lots of budding on it already. It will be a little bit before I get it in the ground. Mine is thornless!

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Congrats, Must Be Nuts! "Ants could have carried them faster." Hilarious! Could you post later on your Sister Elizabeth progress. Mine's not doing much here in Portland O, and I wonder if she prefers a different climate. Mine is still in a pot after several years, and I'm hoping to reduce the number of pots in my driveway to a select few pets and young things still maturing. My driveway "garden" is NOT waterwise. Maroon Eight: I am really looking forward to photos! -Carol

Original Author
    9 years ago

Will do Carol! I am a little concerned about her since Ingrid stated she didn't do well in her heat. Mine is worse! I may have to plant her out in front where she will get some shade during the day along with my Brother Cadfaels.

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago

mustbnuts, a friend of mine just received Maroon 8 from Burling. I told her to call me over as soon as it blooms. Do you have photographs of yours? How has it done in your garden?