Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

Getting ready to order these .....

sunnysideuphill
12 years ago

Hello all,

Does anyone have any track record for these in zone 5 (although with the winter southern NH has been having, who knows what zone I really live...!)

Silver Shadows

Prairie Star

Sally Holmes

Ophelia

as for what they are getting into:

They are going to be good sized, coming from Greenmantle, so will go directly into the garden in April, unless they have to be heeled into the raised veggie beds until the rose garden spots are ready.

I do minimal winter protection (a pile of leaves held in place with hemlock branches on the smallest/newest roses).

I fertilize with the organic sea stuff from Maine and work in my own compost (aged chicken coop bedding plus kitchen, garden waste) top dressing every spring, another shot of the sea stuff mid summer.

I try to stay on top of the aphids by hand, but last year gave up with the tiny things under the leaves (sawfly larvae?)that nearly defoliated a bush in a weekend, so hit them with Safer's to mostly minimal effect(bushes both recovered and bloomed late). So far my chickens seem to have held the JB's down, so I don't do any other pest control. (Although Polareis was devastated by borers last year, and I had to prune it back by 2/3 to get below the knobbies).

for comparison's sake: I have had success with Therese Bugnet, Polareis (except for the borer thing), Alba SemiPlena, Cinderella, Hansa, Mme Legras de St Germain, Reine des Violettes, Quietness, Linda Campbell, La Belle Sultan, Allegra...

Given this rather lackadaisacal approach - what do you think of these four?

Thanks, Antonia

Comments (9)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

No opinion on Silver Shadows or Prairie Star, except that Buck roses seem to have significant issues in the east.

Sally Holmes might be OK from Pickering. My experience with it as a rooted cutting was that it died quite quickly.

Ophelia is an absolute, positive, no go.

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

I'm in Chicagoland, and our strong wind makes the wind chill factor dipped below 20 F. When I first researched on hardiness of roses, someone reported Silver Shadows and Prairie Star as not hardy enough, but many from zone 4 reported success with Austin roses (if kept moist in the winter).

While walking in the nearby rose park with over 1,000 bushes in early spring - Austin roses like Abraham Darby were blooming, while non-shrub roses like hybrid tea and grandiflora were tiny and just leafing out. Shrubs are hardier than HT and Grandiflora.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I've had really good luck with Celsiana, Belle de Crecy, Veilchenblau, Fairy Rose, Madame Plantier, Bleu Magenta, Snow Pavement, John Cabot and some hybrid musks...with no winter protection. I don't know if they will do as well in your area (we have cold winters and hot, dry summers).

As for aphids, I have a cottage style garden, with roses mixed in with perennials/annuals and other shrubs, so I leave a few beneficial weeds in the back of the garden, to bring the ladybugs in...and no more aphids. They're here one, maybe two days...and then gone! I also have lots of daisies, coneflowers, Hidcote lavender and salvias (to keep the deer out)...and alyssum seems to help too, since it brings in other 'good' bugs that eat aphids :)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    12 years ago

I am in Texas with a totally different zone from yours, but I tried Silver Shadows twice and found the color to be washed out and blah and the bush didnt grow well so got rid of it. I think there are other Buck roses that are better - I adore Honeysweet, beautiful color and its grown very well for me, just added another. So many good Bucks to choose from and they were bred for cold weather. Someone in your zone could suggest better than I.

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

I grow Ophelia, and the sports Mme Butterfly and Lady Sylvia.

Survival is not a certainty with tender Hybrid Teas such as these, but one can take steps to help them get established.

In my organic garden I use no sprays, and give plenty of organic fertilizers with alfalfa, also I use a soil drench with a fish/ seaweed. (Sounds like you do similar things...)

I mulch heavily in winter, and wrap these Hybrid Teas in burlap.

I grow Ophelia as a bedding rose, and I think its best to plant it away from shrub roses where it might have to compete. Allow Ophelia room, don't crowd it too close to other Hybrid Teas.

It's best to plant in all day sun, no shade at all.

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

If you're interested in Hybrid Teas, Marchioness of Londonderry is a great rose in my garden setting. It's classed as a Hybrid Perpetual, but the blooms resemble a Hybrid Tea. It's a wonderful rose, repeat bloom is very good. It's about 4 1/2 feet tall here. It tolerates winter very well.

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Thanks Lavender_Lass for info. on alyssum, and question for Krista: I always admire the tons-of-blooms look on your roses, what is a soil drench with fish/seaweed? Can I buy that stuff at stores like Lowe's, Menards, or Home Depo? Thanks.

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

I'll report on what's hardy at the zone 5a Cantigny Rose Park: Frederic Mistral (almost thornless) stand up to the rain really well.

Chicago Peace is gorgeous. Midas Touch is hardy. Bewitched HT is hardy to zone 4b (no need for winter protection). Many of the floribundas are hardy: Carefree series, Singing-in-the-rain (very disease resistant, RRR, and low in thorns), Julia Child, Gene Boerger (?).

Austin roses are impressive, the diameter of these shrubs are much bigger than hybrid teas. What I like about shrubs is that they are much taller than HTs' in the spring, and I don't have to crawl to sniff them.

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Thank you, Strawberryhill. I use Bill's Perfect Fertilizer, which I get from the Spray -N -Grow website.

I've also used Monty's Joy Juice, which is a liquid humus concentrate.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES