Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyhair

My very first rose bed going in today!!

daisyhair
9 years ago

I've done my homework! All characteristics of my roses documented.. bed designed and laid out on paper. Offerings made to the rose Gods.. etc! {{gwi:2120114}}

As you can see my back yard is pretty much a bare canvas save for a couple of citrus trees! This bed will get full sun from 10 AM until 5PM. A couple of the pots are going along the house for late afternoon shade.

{{gwi:2120115}}

I've learned so much here in this forum already!!! This makes the start of my third year. I'm sufficiently addicted. Most of my roses are David Austin except a Queen Elizabeth grandiflora and a pretty red Kentucky Derby my hubs bought me.

Comments (10)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Sounds perfect! How exciting to have a clean slate to work with. I hope everything goes according to plan. Good luck and post pics when they're all in!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

Looks like you have a nice space there.
    Its so exciting to plan and put in new beds and finally see the final product!
    I need to put in a few more beds this spring as well. I have lots of space but not all of it is sunny and we have lots of those grand daddy Live Oaks with tree roots running all over the place lol.
    We will probably rent a big tiller again. We did that for our large veggie garden and got it done quickly that way.

I am still waiting on my DA order...really hate the waiting part lol.
    ~SJN

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Daisy, I love the pic of your desk--designs, notes, reading glasses, sparkling water, and a rose blossom! We are kindred spirits. Your blank slate holds so much potential, and the unfolding of a garden created from scratch is a wondrous event. Please keep us updated on your progress. I have vicarious goose bumps. :-) Carol

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

So excited for you!!!

jannike

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

There's a rather much touted rose garden at Leu Botanic Garden in Orlando although it seems to have become dominated by Knockout and similar types - when I saw it in April it didn't look as impressive as in online photos.

If you haven't been there you might want to go look around anyway, there is a lot more than the rose garden.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

How exciting for you! You are way more organized in your planning than I would be lol. I can't wait to see pics of your beautiful new garden. I dreamed about roses when I started planting them lol.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Daisy I love the photo of all your plans, I am guilty of writing my plans on napkins or the backside of bills...

Can't wait to see your "after" photo!

Michaela

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

My "plans" and rose lists often saw the light of day on the backs of envelopes. I'm much more impressed by your method, Daisy. I hope you'll share this exciting project with us as it unfolds.

Ingrid

• daisyhair
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good Morning!!

I would have a new pic for you but we didn't get very far yesterday. Even with all the planning in the world I ran into an unanticipated problem. I bought compressed peat moss and didn't know it has to soak for 24 hours!

I could see why because it took hours for it to start actually absorbing water and I'm glad I did soak it after checking on it this morning. It will be much easier to mix it with my other soil amendments today. We did get a 10 x 10 area "de-grassed" and can I just say WOW! I had no idea what hard work THAT would be. More of that today and we will hopefully at least get half of my roses I want in the ground planted!

Needless to say this is going to be at least a three weekend project as my hubs is learning how to tap off our irrigation line to add dribblers to the bed for me and also a couple that are going into larger pots.

I also have roses going along the side of the house that need late day shade.

Sultry Jasmine Night I am a bit jealous of all your Live Oaks!! Our home is in a newer neighborhood and it should be criminal the way thery strip all the trees out before they build!!! We have almost no plant life in the back yard except a Ruby Grapefruit and a Blood Orange.. I'm happy now though that I didn't plant trees in the back like we did the front!! Cuz ROSES!!!

Bboy we love Leu Gardens! Its wonderful, they have a huge plant sale they sponser every year and the Central FL Rose society meets there I'm told. We are planning on joining the Rose Society this year..hopefully.

Well got to get some coffee poured into the hubs and coax him alive for the day!!

Happy Sunday my Rose loving friends!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

Congrats! Love the pictures. Have to let us know your progression of getting the bed in and then the wonderful blooms to come! So excited for you!