Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are there different 'Felicias' out there?

Posted by lucretia1 7/8 PNW (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 11:03

When I look at Felicia on HMF, it describes it as semi-double, 9-16 petals. I've seen description from "semi-double" to "packed with petals" on different vendors' sites. Most of the pictures I've seen look like very full blossoms--many more that 16 petals. Are there different versions of "Felicia" floating around out there, or is it just climate-dependent?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are there different 'Felicias' out there?

Here's a pic of Felicia from June. It has a higher petal count in June than later in the summer.

In this pic it looks like it has more than 16 petals, perhaps 20-25.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

Here's a pic of Felicia from early July last year, Lucretia. It never increased petal count during the summer, but then it rarely got over 70, either. Aptos seems to be like this too, I guess, lower petal count for me in cool weather than it displays in warmer places.

felicia

o
Post Script

ps, Mine came from Chamblee's.

o
post script again

I looked at 'Felicia' on the Peter Beales site, and it's listed as a double, which is 25-40 petals. Their picture of 'Felicia' looks double.

If it gets hot here this summer I'll be curious to see if my 'Felicia' increases petals.

It sounds like Krista's decreased in petals as her summer progressed. I'm guessing her summer got warmer?

Interesting question, Lucretia.

o

Gean, yes, it seemed that in the warmer weather of late summer there were fewer petals... however I came across this pic from early Sept., very end of summer. Maybe the petal count is not that much different from June, although I think the bloom looks somewhat less full of petals...

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

I was wondering as well. Mine has very few thorns- indeed it's almost thornless. I bought it in the early 80s from Roses of Yesterday and Today.

o

Well, she's ordered now, so we'll see how she turns out. Wouldn't mind if she were thornless (tangled with Alchymist yesterday--ow!)

o

There is no one answer to this question!
It's midsummer here, so I couldn't resist running out to Felicia to check. Answer number 1 was 62, next bloom was 24 and the last one was 37.
Same bush, absolutely thriving this season, it's been in bloom for months.
Mine has no thorns at all. She took a few years to settle in but she's about three feet wide and four feet high.
Now I'll go and sweep up all those petals.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here