Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hemlady

Should I get Gilbert Nabonnand?

hemlady
12 years ago

I really like roses with no - or close to no thorns. The older I get, the less I like getting cut to pieces in the pruning process. I have many thornless roses and was thinking of buying G. Nabonnand. If you have grown this rose, would you tell me about it and post a picture if you have one? I am in NC in zone 7 - nearly 8 now with climate change and grow many teas and chinas. I will appreciate any information about Gilbert, and thanks! Denise

Comments (14)

• jerijen
    12 years ago

I don't have a clue what it will do in your conditions, but here on the coolish, humid, SoCal coast, G. Nabonnand is looking like a winner. Still not FULLY mature, it has become an open, "airy" plant with good foliage (our problems are rust/mildew) and a lot of bloom.
    In this winter's wild shifts from hot, dry, desert wind to foggy mornings and sunny afternoons, and some record-setting cold, it has bloomed its heart out.
    I thought it would not have much vase life, but it surprised me by lasting 4-5 days in a bouquet.

Don't know what it will be for YOU, but I would certainly recommend it to a neighbor. :-)

{{gwi:221459}}

Jeri

• rosefolly
    12 years ago

It is said to mildew badly in my climate, so I will not; but I was mightily tempted. It's an awfully pretty rose. Why not grow it so I can enjoy it vicariously?

Rosefolly

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

I had one that a friend gave me. It didn't survive its first winter, but his, in central Mississippi, is a gorgeous thing. Actually, I was thinking about G Nabonnand not too terribly long ago, that it is a tea that's not mentioned often. So I'm with Rosefolly, please grow it and then tell us all about it.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    12 years ago

I like mine. I have two, and they are listed on HMF. I need to update my Picture Trail so that I can copy them here better. I listed them under G. Nabonnand.
    Sammy

• jerome
    12 years ago

Every picture I've seen in rosebooks (from Australia and elsewhere) left me speechless. I've tried to grow it - lost a couple of bands, am barely keeping a gallon I planted last May alive now and have ordered one (because they ship huge plants) finally from ARE which should arrive next week. Here (unless the ARE plant is vigorous) it does not grow strongly and is actually very puny - nothing like the photos I've seen.

• jerijen
    12 years ago

Jerome -- It was puny here for a couple of years, but has now settled in, and it progressing well. Maybe 4 ft. tall x 5 ft. wide.
    And while it is sometime touched by mildew, it's -- not much. Not even enough to bother me, and I am crabby about mildew.

Jeri

• krikit
    12 years ago

hemlady - I totally agree with the love of 'thornless' and have been very disappointed through the years with some purchases that claimed to be thornless or few thorns but were not. G.Nabonnand is my all time favorite rose :-) and certainly is thornless. Mine was very healthy and grew to about 6 feet by 5 feet and was fabulous. I'm sure you noticed that I said 'was', as unfortunately I had to move it due to some home repairs. The move took place at the worst possible time, and I'm pretty sure he didn't survive but I'm hoping that it may return from the roots. If it didn't survive, I'd like to buy another - if I can find it. So, I say 'get it'!!!!

• hemlady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

krikit - Roses Unlimited has G. Nabonnand and I have definitely decided to get him. Thornless roses rock! I'll let everyone know how he does - and thanks for the information! Denise

• jaspermplants
    12 years ago

I'm in a hot dry climate and G Nabonnand is a great rose in my climate. I had it couple years ago and it was healthy and bloomed all the time. I had to remove it due to re-doing a planting bed but I missed it so much I just bought one from ARE, planted in a new spot. Very healthy and I'm looking forward to his constant blooms and wonderful healthy plant.

• jillinaustin
    8 years ago

I'm debating between G. Nabonnand and Thomas Affleck. How big does the Nabonnand get?

• titian1 10b Sydney
    8 years ago

I had it in a previous garden, and it was a great rose - healthy and floriferous, and didn't have thorns. But like others, I'm in a much warmer zone, where blackspot is the main issue. It grew to about 6' by 5' reasonably quickly, then didn't grow any larger. I suspect a wrongly labelled rose I have now, is it, and I'm not sorry.

• jerijen
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Jill -- For me, G. Nabonnand is maybe 4-ft. tall X 5-ft. wide. And it has a graceful, open habit. It's best season is winter. It blooms and blooms and blooms through the winter.

But again ... let me re-state the fact that I am growing it in Coastal Ventura Co., CA. And though my climate is definitely warming, it is NOTHING like the climactic conditions in Dallas. I know. I've been to Dallas. I love TX, but I know how different my conditions are. I know there are roses that are clean as a whistle here, which regularly defoliate from top to bottom in TX, thanks to blackspot. And I know that 'Thos. Affleck' is a beauty in TX, but rusts like an old bucket here.

Which is to say ... my experience is useless to anyone in TX. And, really, that's true for most of us in Southern CA.

• gnabonnand
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

It would be a difficult decision between G. Nabonnand or Thomas Affleck. They both are amazing here in Dallas. I lost my 6' x 6' G Nabonnand to RRD, but still have Thomas Affleck. TA is highly resistant to disease for me. But then, so was GN (except of course for RRD).

But you can't compare those two as far as being "thornless". G Nabonnand is completely thornless (it does have tiny prickles on the underside of each leaf but they are no problem although can sometimes slightly scratch you). Thomas Affleck DOES have thorns, but not as many as your average rose.

Randy