Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19755260

New Austin Roses Thomas a Becket and Maid Marion

User
9 years ago

Hi, I'm wondering if anybody has actually seen these roses in person? In the catalog/website, and on HelpmeFind, Thomas a Becket looks to be a lovely, purple-y/cerise type color. Is that accurate? Could you compare it to other Austin reds, such as Darcey Bussel and Sophy's Rose?

As for Maid Marion, some pictures look quite pale, others more of a good medium pink. Can anybody comment on this, perhaps comparing it to other Austin pinks such as Mary Rose or Gertrude Jekyll?

Also I'd love any input on size. The catalog says TB can be 4ft or more; lists MM as quite small.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• shopshops
    9 years ago

chiming in although I have never grown these. I ordered Maid Marion this year to honor my 98 year old Grandma with the same name. MM looks a lighter pink in some pics due to sun exposure. Rose colors in England, as per the catalog pics can be quite intense . However they have been having some warm summers lately and that explains the discrepancy in colors. I used to live in the UK and miss the deep colors that roses have over there.

I was also tempted by Thomas Becket. But I already own Darcey Bussell, William Shakespeare 2000, Munstead Wood and Sophie's rose. Though they are all different I want to save room for some others.

I hope someone can give you a sensible answer ðÂÂÂðÂÂÂ. Saw Maid Marion and got excited. I can't wait to receive mine.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

..I cannot comment on Maid Marion as I don't have it, but I can tell you something of TaB as I grow this one, although only for 1 season so far, and obviously I'm in England so my experience may not benefit you so much.

I wouldn't describe it in any way as a red, but deep cerise pink with purple overtones, and at times a stronger pink.. it's a thorny shrub but I like the scent very much, old rose type... also, I don't know how it would perform as a free standing bush, I grow it within a structure as a short climber. This way it has reached 5 foot tall since the summer... if it was freestanding, I think it would be shorter and more spreading.
    ...perhaps it could be compared to 'Falstaff' or 'Young Lycidas'... I wouldn't compare it to Sophy's Rose or any of the others mentioned...

Here are 2 photos so you can see the colour changes. It could be that it darkens when I bring it indoors, I'm not sure... or maybe the light has something to do with it... but these colours look true to how I saw them at the time...

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, thanks so much! You have totally sold me on Thomas a Becket, its stunning! (as is your garden, from what I can see). I imagine in my warmer summers the color would probably tend to the lighter side, which is fine. That you compare it to Falstaff and Young Lycidas also convinces me, as I grow and love both of these. I hope it would grow as a small climber for me too! Although given how brutal our winters can be (even here in zone 6 NJ) I'm not sure. But looks like I'll love it whatever its size and habit.

Shopshops, thanks for your comments on MM. Hopefully somebody who has either grown or seen it will have some remarks (and pictures!)

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

..thank you Frances, and I'm glad you liked the rose... it seems you have quite a few already, so hope this one doesn't disappoint...

...all good wishes,...

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

Marlorena, those are gorgeous!

jannike

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

..thank you jannike, I'm glad you liked them too..

• kygirl1
    9 years ago

I also was drawn to thomas a beckett for itd wildness! Would look lovely in my cottage garden though i wish it rated higher for fragrance!
    I am looking for easy roses though and this one looks to fit the bill also mm is supposed to be a good cut flower....