Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ready to be potted up?

Posted by JoshTx 8a (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 11:49

I have two cuttings of Maggie that have a tangle of roots at the bottom of their cups. They've both put out new growth, quite aggressively I might add, and they are no longer covered baggies. They haven't been covered by baggies for a while, and they have not slowed down. What do y'all think?

Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ready to be potted up?

Here's a look at the bottom of one of the cups, if that helps. I have two Lamarque that are at about the same stage. Roots look very similar, but I haven't uncovered the Lamarque yet.

Should I continue to coddle them in their cups or should I pot them up to a one gallon?

Josh

o

I would pot them. Those are great looking roots!

o

Thanks for the advice Brittie! It's been a pleasant surprise to have such vigorous cuttings!

Josh

o

With those roots it would be torture for them to stay confined. They'll just keep going around and around and that's not what you want the roots to do. Kudos to you, Josh, for having succeeded in making your own little roses. Much cheaper!

Ingrid

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 17:30

Yes, pot them up but don't go to a huge pot. I'd only go to a one gallon at most. They look marvelous!

o

Ready for 1 gallon pots. Great job, rose papa Josh!

o

And Maggie is such a great rose. Congrats!

o

Excellent! I'm so excited to pot them up! These are the first I've ever successfully rooted. I now feel like a real rosarian. I can check off "Able to propagate" on my gardener resume.

Though, I wholeheartedly believe it had little to do with me. I was reading in Antique Roses for the South that Maggie is incredibly easy to root. Considering my novice status, I have no doubts the vigorousness of the cultivars was the key to success. I have some other less vigorous varieties in cups right now. We'll see if I can actually make regular cuttings take.

Thanks everyone!

o

L'Hay wasn't built in a day! Congratulations!
Susan

o

Those are some good looking roots! I find myself in awe of just how hardy roses can be. I lost a few to voles in the garden a couple of years ago. It was fall. They just fell over and when I went to pick up the sticks I could see the chewed off bottoms. I tossed the gnarly gnawed bits and pieces of most but for some reason threw a few stems of Sharifa Asma in a pot and forgot about her. Literally just shoved her in the dirt. The next spring lo and behold, she had regenerated and is now a nice little bush. Total novice luck I'm sure since I really have no idea how to take cuttings. I sure wish I'd tried it with the chewed up remains of the divine posthumous Buck rose Dawn Star that Chamblees no longer carries. Anyway, great roots!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here