Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keep that eye protection on!

Posted by kittymoonbeam 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 12:11

Early this morning I was feeling fine. A pretty sunrise with no wind and I was ready to start pruning the really big roses in back. First up beauty Kathrine Morley who is over 10 feet tall. Things were going along fine until a cut piece twisted and stung me in the forehead. I didn't think much of it until I saw all the blood on my glove. I was wearing 2 pair. One soft goatskin and big gauntlet welding gloves over the top of them. I ran in thinking I had a big cut but luckily no. But it did make me glad I had eye protection on. Why do all the prettiest roses have to bite the most? I guess I need a hard hat for these tall ones.

Stay safe friends, you never know when a rose will bite.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keep that eye protection on!

A very timely reminder, Kitty. It was just yesterday that a twig of Le Vesuve, a rose that's viciously armed with tiny thorns, somehow hit my face near my eye, which made me think about the exact thing you're mentioning. It's so easy to forget about these things when we're absorbed in a task.

Ingrid

o
RE: Keep that eye protection on!

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 15:26

I'm glad to hear that neither of you was seriously injured. Pruning is still months away here but I'll have to put a sticky note on my pruners to remind me! Be safe everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here