Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

My Heirloom Rose

I've been puzzled by the mixed messages about this rose on both rose forums and was a little disappointed that I had already planted one (why is that info never available BEFORE you buy the rose?). At any rate, after plucking any and every bud off my little band I finally allowed one to bloom. It's situated only a foot away from a wide concrete path, in pretty much full sun, and the temperature was 85 degrees with hot winds when the bud opened, which translates to about 105 in that spot. Well, it's day 3 now since the rose opened and it looks the worse for wear, but yesterday it was still pretty, not fried and not limp. I'd heard this rose deteriorates quickly in the heat and various other negatives that I can't remember now. I love the color and am amazed at how well it's withstood the heat. The leaves aren't toasted at all, either.

Has anyone else had good experience with this rose in a hot-weather situation?

Ingrid

Comments (6)

• ogrose_tx
    10 years ago

I'll be interested in other posters' thoughts on this rose, too, Ingrid. Have had mine since spring of 2013, it hasn't done much; maybe this year!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I've had my Heirloom for several years--bought it as a lovely, large plant in a pot for $7.99 in a big box store (I've only done that twice). It grew well and has bloomed pretty well, too, but the blooms do fry terribly in our hot, dry summers. I like it enough to keep it around, though. A very experienced gardening friend of mine also has an Heirloom in her huge garden, and it's quite stunning, and, in fact, inspired me to buy the one I grow. I will ask her about the "frying in the heat" thing when she gets back from her vacation. I just liked the looks of her Heirloom and never thought to ask about how hers stands up to heat and dry air. So, I deliver you a mixed message about Heirloom. I hope yours does well, Ingrid. Diane
    Here's a photo of my Heirloom.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ogrose, that's when I received my Heirloom rose also, March 11, 2013 to be exact. Mine has done very little also so far, and I wonder if this rose doesn't do better grafted. At any rate, just seeing one bloom made me like it a lot, and I'm willing now to give it the time it needs to grow up.

Diane, that's a pretty picture. You can see a pic of my less-pretty one on the thread Fall Into Winter. I should have taken a picture the first day it was fully open, but this way you can see that it's holding up quite well in hot and very dry weather.

Ingrid

• john_ca
    10 years ago

We got an inexpensive "body bag" specimen at a hardware store that was most likely grafted onto Dr. Huey. It has grown into a beautiful plant that is vigorous and blooms a bit better than average. We are in an area that can get 2-3 weeks of 100 degree weather. We are pleased with its performance; nice, strong fragrance. And (luckily) no signs of Rose Mosaic Virus so far.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Ingrid,

Heirloom is a very lovely rose that I used to grow. It exhibited zero issues with heat, and is actually a rose that is recommended for this desert. All of mine were grafted on Dr. Huey.

Lynn

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, John and Lynn. If this rose doesn't prosper I'll obtain one that's grafted. I'm so pleased that it seems to do well in the heat since I really like it, especially the color. I have very few grafted roses that have done well for me, but neither have all the own-roots succeeded either.

Ingrid