Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What (Currently) Would You Name As The Three Most Beautiful Roses

Posted by knightofroses Santa Fe, NM (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 12:29

I know this question has probably been asked here before, but choices change over time and I would be interested in knowing the choices of many here for the three most beautiful roses. For me (at the moment) it is Yolande d' Aragon, Sombreuil and Golden Celebration.

With Golden Celebration, it seems like lately this rose has become the most popular rose around. It is very grand though and that color of gold is something else, as well as the peony style bloom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What (Currently) Would You Name As The Three Most Beautiful R

That's a mighty tall order, because if i could narrow it down to 3 i wouldn't have bought over 276 cultivars,lol.
but currently off the top of my head, i would say seagull, pink parfait, and soleil d'or. But deep down, i know they would all be ht's, probably from the pernetian era, even though i consider myself less of a ht enthusiast.
I probably wouldn't consider a rose as most beautiful though with a peony style bloom,lol.

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 15:35

Just off the top of my head.....Will Henry, a sport of Playboy [pictures CANNOT do it justice!], Honeysweet and Carding Mill. The list could go on and on.......Llike Distant Drums, Blue Chip, Shocking Blue, Nicole Carole Miller, Tahitian Sunset, Bengal Tiger.....and I really didnt stop to think about it...
Judith

o
Correction - list is for Antique Roses

Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 15:39

Oh wait.....this was for antique roses.....I love Archduke Charles, Crepuscule and Cramoisi Superieur. For once bloomers.....Alchymist, Vielchenblau and Pink Pillar.
Judith

o

Diff'rent Strokes --

I don't know that Golden Celebration would be at the top of my list for "Most Beautiful," but if I were able to make a list at all (it would be very long) it would likely be there, somewhere.

I don't prefer one style of bloom over another.
I never did, which has always left me "Odd Girl Out" in a room of HT enthusiasts.

I stand with Dean Hole (and that's pretty lofty company) in the belief that

" . . . whether the surface of a rose be globular, cupped, or expanded,
and whether its petals be convex or concave, a perfect gracefulness
of form is attainable."

Hole's ideal was the globular.
Mine changes daily, in response to what's blooming.
But in reference to a thread followed elsewhere, I think no rose would remain here long if it didn't take my breath away at least some of the time (or DH's breath).

Jeri

o

Madame Hardy, Duchesse de Montebello, Louise Odier

o

Dear Jeri, I would love to know your top three since you have a wonderful sophistication for so many rare roses. I put GC in my top three because it has a special color of yellow and it has substantial blooms, very voluptuous and those notched petals, but I'm a guy so that is what appeals to me in the way of roses(lol).

I am taking notes on all your choices and loving checking them out. Thank you.

Chance

o

• Posted by luanne z9,Richmond CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 16:53

I'm with Lens and I already posted on the singles thread Bishop Darlington, Ellen Willmott and Clementina Carbonieri.
But of the fuller roses:
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Mme. Gregoire Staechlin followed by Mrs. Lovell Swisher
Devoniensis
and my beloved Belle Storey
Whatever made you choose 3?
la

o

Mme Berard is my most beautiful.
Photobucket
Carrie

o

Dear Jeri, I would love to know your top three

*** In all honesty, I don't think I could think of a "Top 3."
If I tried, I couldn't base it on the bloom alone, because I can't separate the bloom from the whole of the plant.

I suppose I might put 'Secret Garden Musk Climber' in my top few -- based on the wealth of bloom and the fragrance, rather than just the shape of the bloom.
"Secret Garden Musk Climber"

Probably 'Mme. Plantier,' a rose that is to me so lovely that it's almost un-real:
'Mme. Plantier'

Considering the whole package, probably "Grandmother's Hat,"
Photobucket

But then we get into a whole mix of other things, because there's not a rose here I wouldn't consider "Most Beautiful" on its day.

Jeri

o

Luanne, I narrowed it down to choosing three because I intend to research all the choices listed and I don't want to get overwhelmed with everyone having a list of say 25. I love your photos of those beauties. Thank you! I am getting interested in Belle Storey now.

Chance

o

Dear Jeri, thank you for those choices listed. I love them! I think old-fashioned blooms and old garden roses are incredible. I understand your dilemma of not being able to seperate the bloom from the bush. Grandmother's Hat seems like a must-have. I am going to get that one thanks to you.

Chance

o

I am swooning... Mrs. Lovell Swisher, and Mme. Berard!!! And THEN - Devoniensis, which I have, though it is still small and young, but I can see growth buds, so it is Getting Ready! I can't wait.

o

Mme. Berard looks so beautiful!!

Is Mme. Berard related to Gloire de Dijon? I can't tell the difference.

o

Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 18:42

Jeri, I absolutely can't breathe looking at that Mme. Plantier--so beautiful.

and who can resist the alchemyst???
here is your Sombreuil, Chance and here is your Golden Celebration.
That Mme. Bearard is enchantment!
la

o

#1 Elegant Gallica
#2 Souvenir de la Malmaison
#3 Rose Edouard

o

The Queen of Beauty and Fragrance, which I agree, is Souvenir de la Malmaison. My other two choices would be Felicite Parmentier and Leda.

o

Abraham Darby
Souvenir d'un Ami
Le Vesuve

o

Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 20:53

luanne, what is that gorgeous hot pink in the middle of your last photo? And the pale pink......beautiful photo!

o

Maman Cochet, Cl
Maman Cochet, Cl
Carnation
Carnation
Pink Gruss an Aachen
Pink Gruss an Aachen
I know there are others, and there are others that are babies that I haven't even seen bloom yet that I know will be gorgeous, but at this moment I love these. But...ask me again in 5 minutes.

Sherry

o

Wowee!!!! All of the pictures are wonderful! Thank you all for the pics of old-fashioned roses. I am making notes and getting ready for spring ordering. I'll be looking out for many of the ones mentioned and some of the ones in the photos. You have inspired a rose dreamer indeed. Keep the pics and recommendations coming please.

Chance

o

La France when it's good it's great! This one is from Pickerings.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Stanwell Perpetual not the most beautiful bush but beautiful fragrant blooms
I'm a sucker for a good Bourbon and this is the best Queen of Beauty and fragrance Souvenir de La Malmaison

o

Good question, impossible to answer, but here are three I love:

Mme. Hardy:

Alchymist:

Enfant de France:

I swore I wouldn't do this, but Mme. Plantier, Celsiana, and Doorenbos Selection rank right up there. I just didn't have photos.

Sue

o

Yes Mme Berard is related to Gloire de Dijon. It's one of the Dijon seedlings. I grow it as a big bush - I don't know if GdD would grow that way. Plus, I've killed GdD, but Mme Berard is VERY vigorous.
She is also one of my most fragrant if you exclude the Austins and are going for the absolute best tea fragrance.
Scrumptuous.
I'm a sucker for the quartered look, which this gives about half the time.

o

I'm prejudiced against Golden Celebration - it's not old and it's widely available (I admit it - I'm a snob!). That said, when Golden Celebration blooms I think it's one of the most beautiful roses. I say to it, "Why aren't you old?"
Here in the City of Roses there are periods in the spring when there's not too much rain and gentle sun, when the blooms stay on for days in a heavenly suspension of half open, when they all look like pictures in a fantasy catalog.
Any nodding scrolled full Tea rocks my boat, until I realize that they are not going to fully open because of that heavenly cool weather, and then I like the roses that actually do open - Crepuscule, Cl. Etoile de Hollande, Lady Hillingdon...

o

I'm prejudiced against Golden Celebration - it's not old and it's widely available (I admit it - I'm a snob!). That said, when Golden Celebration blooms I think it's one of the most beautiful roses. I say to it, "Why aren't you old?"

*** HAHAHA ... Well said!

If we had a lick of sense, we'd be removing that whole hedge of GC we have here.
It's too thirsty, in a building drought, and it's neither old nor endangered.
But, dangit -- sometimes you just gotta please your senses, and I love having all that fragrant yellow outside my bedroom window.

Jeri

o

Yes, yes albertine, I understand your position with Golden Celebration, as I too prefer old-garden roses, but David Austin has captured my heart with mimicking antique rose style. I can't resist them! I just can't!!! I mean not all the "English Roses" are worth it, but GC is extraordinary. It has become his most popular rose though. There are other "English Roses" that are also must haves for me, despite the fact they are all modern.

Jeri, can you post a pic of your GC hedge if you get the chance. Thank you very much.

By the way cweathersby, that Mme Berard is beautiful.

Chance

o

Chance, see the link below -- There are about 6 plants in a row, closely-planted, to make an informal hedge perhaps 5 ft tall or a bit more.
The ground is a pretty steep hillside here.

Jeri

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Celebration Hedge

o

Jeri, that is absolutely beautiful and I think I may try a hedge of GC myself. I hadn't thought of this as an informal hedge planting, but it looks fantastic in your garden. I guess with some roses you have to think outside the box. Thank you for some inspiration, Jeri!!!

And luanne, thanks for the pic of your GC and Redoute too.

Chance

o

The tea rose, 'G. Nabonnand'
Photobucket

The tea rose, 'Adam'
Photobucket

And of course, my most beautiful rose of all, the bourbon, 'Souvenir de la Malmaison'
Photobucket

Randy

o

Randy,
How much sun does your Adam get?
Where are you in metro Dallas? I used to live there too...
Masha

o

Sat, Jan 24, 09 at 2:19

Alameda, the bright deep pink is Ulrich Brunner fils and the pale pink is Redoute, respectively an old hybrid perpetual and an Austin that blooms all year if I don't prune it back.
Randy, yum, yum,yum Is it the photographer, the roses, or the light? Beautiful.
la
nice GC hedge, Jeri.

o

Well, I don't have three absolutely most beautiful roses, but I wish to fill a few holes here, that is, roses that haven't been mentioned so far. How about that incredible beauty 'Marchal Niel'? If you buy a good clone grafted and can give it the conditions it likes, it's amazing: huge, globular, Tea-scented yellow blooms with a greenish glow. Then, 'Mme. Antoine Mari', with pale lilac-pink blooms of extreme elegance on a light, airy, but vigorous plant. Finally, I know that we're concentrating on blooms here, but I MUST put in a word for my beloved 'Cornelia', one of the most beautiful roses there is for overall effect.

Melissa

o

Thanks cweathersby for the information.

Where's Molinuex (Patrick)? I would have thought he's going to drop by to say EVELYN is the most beautiful rose in the world.

SDLM looks pretty. I'm planning to get 2 climbing SDLM this year.

o

Masha, full, all day sun for 'Adam'.
By the way, it is a humungous-sized rose. Possibly the biggest of the teas and it's not really a climber or a bush ... more of a gigantic, sprawling, arching thing. It may be the same rose that some other suppliers sell as 'Madame Berard' but I'm not really sure about that and probably no one else is either. There's much debate about the scent (I don't detect any fragrance at all from mine). Much, much, much too large for my small garden. What was I thinking when I planted it? Nice performer here though.
I live about 10 miles north of the big airport.

Luanne, the photo's were taken before my beloved Canan crapped out on me. But I think it's mostly the roses :-)

Randy

o
RE: What (Currently) Would Yo3u Name As The Three Most Beautiful

Correction, Masha ... seven miles north of D/FW International.

Randy

o

Hands down, my 3 choices would be

Fantin Latour

Photobucket

Felicite Parmentier

Photobucket

Celestrial

Photobucket

o

Sat, Jan 24, 09 at 17:13

Evelyn
Compte de Chambord
Re've d'Or
Evelyn
Chateau de Clos Vougeot
and the real truth is I know no ugly roses. We are so luck to have such beauty available to us in our own yards. My personal favorite is Irene Churucca
All of your roses look good to me too.
la

o

Thanks Randy. I didn't know about Adam being Mme. Berard. I have Mme. Berard on order this winter so I will hold off on Adam. I hope mine won't grow into a monster (or not too soon).
Masha
P.S. We used to live about 7 miles from Love Field. I don't miss the planes :-)

o

The Pilgrim
Photobucket
Souvenir De La Malmaison
Photobucket
Madame Hardy
Photobucket
Not the best behaved but beautiful are they!

o

Impossible choice, so I'll go for three lesser known beauties:

Penny Lane

The rose we call 'Threave', but which is probably the old HP 'Sir Joseph Paxton'.

and the surprisingly excellent 'William Morris'

Best wishes
Jon

o

Gosh, Jon, how do you keep managing to outdo yourself? Those are gorgeous roses that I have never heard of. I'm guessing you're a grad of the Monet School of Photography - with honors!

Sherry

o

My! That photo of William Morris looks So Romantic!

I have seen photos of Constance Spry, and I personally think Constance Spry is quite beautiful. It's a shame that it doesn't repeat.

o

My most beautiful poofy rose is Sonia Rykiel. And what perfume!

Prettiest HT is Chicago Peace. I love the blending of colors on that rose

The prettiest bud is from pink parfait.

Some of you are fantastic photographers! Thanks for sharing.

o

jon, that picture of 'william morris' is sooooo dreamy! jerijen, i love 'Mme. Plantier' too.

my list would be:
'armide'
'mme. plantier'
'william morris'

o

gnabonnand - your namesake rose is SO lovely! Coolly elegant, yet with great innocence.

luanne - Chateau de Clos Vougeot!!! I'm staggered by that color!

jon in wessex - "Threave" is wonderful. That color is usually not my favorite rose color, but obviously this is the exception that proves the rule! Wonderful also is the way the companion plantings complete the experience.

Who can POSSIBLY choose among all these gorgeous blooms? This thread has been a treat!

o

Can I just say all the recommendations and photo's have been sensational! By the way Jon in Wessex, I think David Austin would want to feature your photographs in his catalog because they are so captivating. Thank you everyone for amazing shots of these old-garden, antique and David Austin roses.

I have written down all the choices mentioned and am researching which ones to order for this spring. IT IS AN EMBARRASSMENT OF RICHES to choose from. What beauty lies ahead of us this spring to add to the garden. This makes life so much more breathtaking to me, that I have been given so many great ideas from all of you that we're kind enough to share all your choices for beautiful roses. May all your gardens be blessed with so much loveliness this spring.

Chance

o

I'm stuck on the third but absolutely go crazy when Leda and La Belle Sultane bloom. The third might be a tea--love Mme Berard and once mine blooms that might be the third but I am firm on the others.
Sonbie

o

Jon,

So far 'William Morris' has been good for me, in my garden where Austin roses don't tend to be overly happy. I'm keeping an eye on it. Lovely pictures!

Melissa

o

1. a bush of white 'Rose of York' in full bloom.
2. a bush of white double 'Lady Banks" in bloom.
3. any and every Old Garden Tea rose. White Maman Cochet has a offered me a bloom this week and so I will honor her by listing her name.
Jon, your photos make me want to book a flight to England, a.s.a.p.. I've never been to Montisfont, and wish to see it, perhaps on my to Lourdes.

Love to all,
Luxrosa

o

Peace

Moonstone

Eglantyne

o

Okay, I am teasing you. The title did not exactly say OGR's.

For OGR's, it would be Sombrieul, A Shropshire Lad and Madame Isaac Perreire.

Sombreuil

A Shropshire Lad

Mdm Isaac Perreire

o

I have Souvenir de la Malmaison right in front of my Adirondack chair and never grow tired of gazing and sniffing:

Photobucket

A partially opened Tamora, with the tiny raspberry streaks in the peach petal is high on my list:

Photobucket

I have to agree that Chicago Peace produces the most beautifully colored blooms I have yet to see. Even if it isn't an antique:

Photobucket

o

I couldn't live without any of these roses.

Patrick

EVELYN (English) - Image by HoovB at Hortiplex

REINE DES VIOLETTES (Hybrid Perpetual) - Image by Christian at Hortiplex

SOUVENIR DE LA MALMAISON (Bourbon) - Image by ArchDuke at Hortiplex

THE PILGRIM (English) - Image by Yahyaqu at Hortiplex

o

Brilliant!

o

I found it interesting that Sherryocala posted paired photos of two of my favorites -- "Carnation" (found Bermuda rose) and 'Pink Gruss an Aachen'.

For quite a long period of time, 'Pink Gruss an Aachen' was misidentified as the illusive 'Irene Watts'; a few of us believe that "Carnation" may very well BE the illusive 'Irene Watts'.

o

a few of us believe that "Carnation" may very well BE the illusive 'Irene Watts'.

*** REALLY! I had not heard that! Very cool, I hope it turns out to be a match.

Jeri

o

LOL Then the next thing to ask is: "Now will the real 'Carnation' please stand up?"

o

Patrick,
Your comment about your roses reminds me of when I told a friend I'd die if I didn't get 'Marchal Niel'. She replied, "You sure die easy."
Cheers,
Melissa

o

No -- "Carnation" would disappear, except perhaps as a synonym for 'Irene Watts.'
It is the Bermuda Study Name.

I really love study names, for they are often very colorful, and tell you a lot about the rose, or where it was found growing.

Jeri

o

Everyone knows I'm no expert, but IMHO 'Carnation' looks nothing like Irene Watts (at least not the painting on HMF which has yellow in the flowers) or Gruss an Aachen. 'Carnation' is very much a China, but GaA looks nothing like a China. 'Carnation' flowers look just like carnations at a certain stage of bloom. Plus they have a distinctive white edge on each petal. My photos aren't very good but I think they make my point.

Carnation
Carnation
Carnation
Carnation

Don't mean to sound vociferous. It's been a long day, I guess. :))

Sherry

o

Beautiful pictures. That Wm Morris picture is especially beautiful. I looked it up..it's a seedling of Abraham Darby, but I'm not sure what the other parent is. I love the more lilac coloring.

I think my top three would be Madame Alfred Carriere, Tipsy Imperial Concubine, Anna de Diesbach or Yolande d'Aragon. All very fragrant also.

MAC
Photobucket

Tipsy
Photobucket

Anna de Diesbach

Photobucket

Linda

o

What a good and difficult question! I wish I knew how to post pics.

Common Moss
Felicite Parmenter
Paul Ricault

o

• Posted by melva 7b/8aTX (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 15, 09 at 15:49

Every spring when 'Variegata di Bologna' blooms...I swoon, because it is so lovely. I do the same thing, with 'Therese Bugnet,' and 'Alychemist'...since those roses don't repeat, I will pick three that do...
'Madam Alfred Carriere'
'Champney's Pink Cluster'
'Madame Alfred de Rougemont'

o

This is difficult.

Clementina Carbonieri
Perle d'Or
Georgetown Tea
Again, very difficult because I adore Jude the Obscure.

Carla

o

All of these photos of SDLM makes me miss mine big time! *sniff* I'll have to get in again next year...

o

Melva's comment about one of her favorites, Therese Bugnet, not reblooming again has me wondering why this rose reblooms for some and not for others. My TB last year (as a young plant in its second summer) rebloomed quite a few times and I seem to remember that it does for others on the forum and yet for some it apparently does not. Also, I've seen pictures of it where it definitely looks like a double rose and mine is only semidouble. Is there a possibility there is more than on TB in commerce? I wonder if that will ever get sorted out.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 21:38

Love the photos everyone! There are so many gorgeous roses out there. I would have to say for an all around everything rose in June in my garden, it would be Fantin Latour. I can't pick a second place because the rest of mine all have great attributes that I love.
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Fantin Latour

o

• Posted by drhuey 9/10 Australia (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 19, 09 at 6:51

Chance What a toughie but here goes!

Brenton

1. Mme Gregoire Staechelin

Photobucket

2. David Austin's Evelyn

Photobucket

3. Mme Jules Gravereaux

Photobucket

o

• Posted by melva 7b/8aTX (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 19, 09 at 16:09

Here is my Therese Bugnet
Photobucket

o

I always hate to get involved in this because I don't have favorites. My favorites change every day. But I must say there is nothing quite like Dame Edith Helen.
And Orchid Masterpiece.
And beautiful Madame Butterfly.

o

mendocino rose, I have favorites ;-)! In fact I love your photos of Dame Edith Helen, absolutely outstanding rose and Orchid Masterpiece, very pretty flower form and color. Do these roses have fragrance? Can you tell us a little bit more about them?

The photo of Dame Edith Helen reminds me a of Yolande d'Aragon, which I just have gotten. Would you say these two roses are similar?

o

This Dame Edith is the climbing form. I am sorry to say that her beautiful blooms are very stingily given, but to me worth waiting for. The climber is extremely vigorous. It makes more canes than any rose I've ever grown. I have trained them over to encourage more blooms but then the laterals grow gigantically. The fragrance is lovely too. Dame Edith is not at all similar to Yolande.
My Orchid Masterpiece is also a climber, very vigorous and a much better bloomer than Dame Edith. When it is in full bloom it is just gobsmacking. I found it in a bag at a hardware store years ago. Vintage Gardens sells clones of mine now. It is fragrant too.

o

mendocino rose, thanks for your answers! Good to know that both roses are fragrant. I have put both roses on my wish list, but I will go for the regular Hybrid Tea form not for the climbing ones! Hopefully the shrubs are as vigorous as the climbers are for you.

o

You should know Pam that CLIMBING ORCHID MASTERPIECE has been moved to the top of my wish list for next year. I'm a sucker for lavender roses and this beauty looks like a whooper.

Patrick

Here is an image by Labrea of PAT AUSTIN. A lot of people of don't like Pat Austin because she fades from bright tangerine to this warm iridescent tone that reminds me of antique, beige pearls. Personally I'm in crazy-love with the transformation. The intense fruity fragrance is positively orgasmic AND she gracefully nods her head similar to a classic Tea Rose. Sigh...

o

So many beautiful roses. But to me the standard, the Ideal, to which other roses are compared is still Madame Hardy. If I were to put a rose in a time or space capsule, she would be it. All others are echoes and personal taste.

o

WOW...so many beautiful roses!
Just 3?
Impossible but here are some of my favorite pinkies...

Constance Spry -
Hosting provided by FotoTime

Geoff Hamilton -

Alba Felicitie Parmentier -

Eden -

Rugosa Polareis -

(Hi Luanne! Miss you and the old group.)

o

I always wonder if I'm last one out of the hatch here as my roses are just starting except for Harison's Yellow, rosa xanthina and Theresa Bugnet. I never could get Theresa Bugnet to repeat either until I started giving her a shot of fertilizer after the main flush. Try that.
I have quite a few of the ones named here and they're beautiful. I think I'd still name Hallie's Rose for its size, ten-twelve feet and deep pink blooms. This year I'm getting excited by plain old rosa centifolia. I couldn't find it in the US so I got it from Hortico. I asked for ungrafted and they said probably not but they sent me what looked like a sucker. I was surprised by the lucsious, deep pink blooms and it is getting tall.
For a third choice-I don't know-I love them all. Leda, SDLM, Madame Hardy, Felcite Parmentier. I'm guessing for fragrance nothing can beat Apothecary rose.

o

I only have 9 roses all in their first year. Only 1 of them is truly antique in Zephirine Drouhin. I have to agree with Patrick though on Pat Austin.

As of right now, my top 3.....out of my 9 haha

Red Eden(Eric Tabarly)-
Romantica climber. Only in it's first year but growing well so far with no problems. Blooms are deep red, extremely strong cup form, 180+ petals, and the blooms last FOREVER. It even has a mildly sweet old rose scent.

Pat Austin-
My Pat Austin is growing like a WEED! It is almost 4ft tall now and throwing out canes above EVERY 5 leaf set and even broke out some new basal canes and is budding up like mad. The blooms are a gorgeous unique spectrum of orange, coral, apricot, and yellow. The best part is how the bloom opens up as a reflexed cup and it gives the appearance of an eye opening. Pat Austin nods for me and it appears to look at all the other plants in the garden. Somewhat strong...although not real strong tea fragrance.

William Shakespeare 2000-
Smaller and putting out freakish new growth like Pat Austin as well. Blooming machine. Some blooms can be massive, while others can be nearly the size of some minis. The initial color is INTENSELY vibrant and fades off to a darker burgundy. The best part being the fragrance. A strong and unique fragrance that can only be described and appreciated from first hand smelling of the blooms.

o

WOW! What beautiful pictures! Thanks everybody for sharing them.

I was caught up in the fun of this, thinking of what rose flower I liked best, when I had a thought - most of the responses and pictures here focus on the beauty of the individual blooms. This is understandable, but it is also how 20th century hybridizers thought, and unfortunately it resulted in the development of:

spindly upright ugly bushes; new roses with no fragrance whatever; & roses so disease prone that everybody had to spray poisons all over their gardens every 2 weeks!

So, I would prefer a different definition of "beauty" - roses that are beautiful not only in their individual blossoms, but as an overall bush. Banksia lutea, as it bursts into bloom all over town, suddenly appearing all over large trees, and dripping down from on high, would certainly be my favorite. All of the teas are graceful shrubs if you have enough room for them, and also have gorgeous flowers. MAC is beautiful in my garden because it has climbed up several old plum & fig trees, and I can see blossoms from my bedroom window as I speak, seemingly floating all over the top of our fruit tree forrest. This has been going on non-stop since March! Ditto Cl Peace, which is now producing blossoms all over the top of a huge pomegranite bush - its third bloom flush so far this year.

I have a dark red/purple many many petaled mystery rose that I found in our garden (from where it was growing inside of a Japanese quince bush, I would say it was planted at least in the 1930s) which I rooted & planted out by the street in the sun, right next to the sidewalk. It blooms for 10 months of the year, and is amazingly fragrant with that heady "old rose" fragrance. Our street is a busy street, as is the sidewalk. This rose is only about 4-5 feet tall, so the blossoms are very accessible to passer- byes who want to smell it. I enjoy watching people's reactions when I am near there weeding or whatever - it is truly a "beautiful" rose, as it startles people into a brief happiness!

Jackie

o

American Beauty climber

Eugene de Beauharnais

Camaeux

o

Are you kidding?...

3?... just THREE?!...;^]

Well, I can give you 3 from each color group:
PINK
'Brother Cadfael'
Photobucket

'Heritage'
Photobucket

'Scarborough Fair'
Photobucket

RED
'Quadra'
Photobucket

I can't do this...

I could pick 10 for each color group.

I surrender.

Rob
BC:)

o

Currently:

Lafter
Heritage
Julia Child

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here