Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berndoodle

Mel Hulse

berndoodle
16 years ago

My dear friend Mel Hulse died this morning at his home in San Jose. Mel has been a great friend of the rose. As volunteer coordinator of the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden, he contributed thousands of hours to the creation and maintenance of one of the largest collections of roses in the world. Mel was generous with his time, endlessly training novices in the care, identification and propagation of roses. With a professional background in computers from their earliest military applications right up to voice recognition, Mel embraced and utilized online technology, becoming one of the first virtual rosarians. He acted as a consultant to HelpMeFind. Mel first met many rosarians on Rec.gardens.roses more than 10 years ago and since then has kept in touch with rosarians around the world. He received phone calls from as far away as India and Australia over the past weeks.

There will be a memorial service when those of us in the Bay Area can say our goodbyes to Da Kernel and our condolences to his family. The details will be posted.

Cass

Comments (43)

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Oh no! I knew he had been ill, Cass, but I had no idea he was that ill. Da Kernel was one of a kind, very knowledgeable, always helpful and with a wonderful sense of humour. He will be sorely missed! My sympathies and prayers to his family. I feel so saddened by this news.

Carol

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

Cass, thank you. Like Carol, I knew he was ill but was blithely expecting his recovery. It is hard for me to realize all that vitality and enthusiasm is no more. I remember a day he took me around the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden, proudly showing me first the nursery, then the Rosa gigantea climbing a nearby tree, and blooming for the first time! He was so excited he glowed.

The rose world has lost a warrior.

Rosefolly

• kathwhit
    16 years ago

OMG, I had no idea he was ill. I only knew him from the forums, but he was always willing to share his knowledge and enthusiasm. My prayers go out to his friends and family. I am so sorry to hear this!
    Kathy W.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Some of us DID know how ill Mel was, and gee, I thought I was braced for this, but clearly I was not.
    Roses have suffered a severe loss.
    We have lost a good friend.

Jeri

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

I too only knew him through the Forum----I'm sad about his passing. He was a great help to everyone.
    Florence

• williamcartwright
    16 years ago

Knowing this day was coming has done nothing to stench the tears.

Mel was such a fine gentleman. He will be deeply missed.

Bill

• Krista_5NY
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news, my condolences go out to his family.

• jon_in_wessex
    16 years ago

Mel was always kind and courteous to his foreign acquaintances and contacts.

Coincidently, Cass, I was just this morning reading the little biography you contributed to 'Rosa Mundi' and thinking what a worthwhile 'retirement' he had made , helping the garden and so many rose lovers.

Our garden had made some contributions to Tom and Ed when the Heritage garden was being populated, so we have always had a keen interest in its operation, and I had become aware that Mel really had *been* that operation for a long time.

My condolences to you, his friends and family.

Jon

• bluesibe
    16 years ago

Cass,

Thanks you for informing us and how hard to do.

He will be missed, a kind and gracious gentleman and lover of roses.

Carol

• jerome
    16 years ago

Cass, I am so happy you posted this. I knew Mel was gravely ill, and we all were praying for him here. Requiescat in pace!

Jerome

• cemeteryrose
    16 years ago

What a guy. I had the privilege of knowing him for the past four years, learning a tremendous amount from him about roses, their propagation, and how to manage a public garden. His energy, generosity and sheer joie de vivre made him a pleasure to be around. One of my great regrets is that I didn't know him earlier, and another is that we have lost him while he still had so much to give. However, one of my great joys is how many of us had the chance to learn from this master, on-line and in person.

Here is Mel in Dec 07, proudly showing off Manchester Guardian Angel on the Santa Clara University fence. We think there was never a bad photo of Mel, a truly handsome man, in addition to all of his other attributes!
    {{gwi:222184}}

May he rest in peace, but live on in our hearts, in our memories, and through our roses.
    Anita

• malibu_rose
    16 years ago

Anita, what a wonderful tribute to Mel Hulse. I regret not knowing him but have heard of him. I did not know he was such an important part of the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden. May he rest in peace in rose heaven!

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

Well said, all.
    When I saw Cass' thread head, I had a bad feeling. He's one of the cyber heroes of rosedom as well as the real helping rose hero of San Jose.
    What a wonderful rose garden he left behind and what great thought he put into its continuation.
    Ann

• rozannadanna
    16 years ago

I had the honor and privilege of meeting Mel in person. He found out that my mother and sisters and I were coming to HIS garden and insisted on meeting us at the garden and giving us a private tour and then personally taking us back to the train. He was truly a fine gentleman. Heaven is enriched and we are poorer for his loss.

• roseynut
    16 years ago

I, too, had the pleasure of knowing Mel for a number of years and am very sad to hear that he has gone. His work with the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden was truly a monumental effort, but he did other things, as well. He was a contributor to Help Me Find, he was a reference for Modern Roses, and he was instrumental in supporting the first efforts to get some of the Fineschi cultivars into the U.S.

One of my fondest memories is of playing Joséphine opposite his Napoléon in a rose skit. He was, truly, an emporer in the rose world.

Marily

• vics_gardenkeeper
    16 years ago

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this. I very much enjoyed my few email exchanges with him. One of OGR's "royalty" that I felt privileged to meet. And one of the many reasons I'm so jealous of you West Coast rosarians.

• luanne
    16 years ago

This makes me so sad. He was such a sweetheart, so honest and straightforward and a lover of roses to the heartbeat.What a contribution he made to all of us. Enormous really.
    la

• seattlesuze
    16 years ago

Mel was one of those people that I could never have enough of, a man who always had something of substance to offer to the conversation. When I visited the garden last spring, it was a joy to walk the paths with him as he spoke about his concerns for its future. He made me fall in love with William Allan Richardson and long for Lupe's Buttons. He said they'd find me a house if I'd just leave Washington and come down to help out in the garden - and I believed him!

I wish I'd taken a good shot of Mel waiting for us at his little red car, but here's a picture of Carol Dakan from HRNW, Mel, and me among the roses.

{{gwi:222186}}

Colonel, just thinking of you brings a smile. I wish I'd known you longer, I wish I'd known you better, but dang it all, I sure am glad I got to know you at all!

Sue

• luxrosa
    16 years ago

Oh!

One of the great rosarians has passed on.
    I remember him fondly. He gave me written permission to take cuttings from the San Jose Heritage Rose garden some years ago.
    Now, I can imagine him planting an Old Rose garden in Heaven.

Luxrosa

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Sue, that's a wonderful photo. I have the one in the little red sportscar, but I love yours, and would like very much to use it in the HRG Rose Letter.

Here's Mel, last May, in the Red Rocket.

{{gwi:222246}}

This was taken 2 days after CoOR -- on the FIFTH day of rose expedition. Mel confessed that he was tired! TIRED? I was EXHAUSTED. Love of roses gave that man staying power most of us only dream of.

Jeri

• seattlesuze
    16 years ago

Great shot, Jeri! That's just how I remember him. Of course you can use the picture. Give Gregg photo credit - he was kind enough to take the picture, though I don't know why he didn't make me look as skinny as Carol does! lol

Sue

• albertine
    16 years ago

I am so sorry to hear this! I only knew Mel through the forums
    but appreciated his information and spirit so much over the years - I will really miss him. How wonderful that he lived such a full life and gave so many so much.
    Julie

• mariannese
    16 years ago

I am very sad at the news. I'd known Mel Hulse for years as a knowledgeable rosarian on rec.gardens.roses and other forums and it was like meeting an old friend when I finally met him in 2001. He showed my husband and me around the SJHRG. I have pictures of him, too, but can't post them.

Marianne in Sweden

• olga_6b
    16 years ago

I am so sorry to hear this! I only knew Mel through the forums, but always could feel his enthusiasm and willingness to help others. He lived a full life and gave so much to others. My deep condolences to his friends and family.
    Olga

• mendocino_rose
    16 years ago

Cass thank you for letting everyone know about Mel's passing. A bright star in the rose world has gone out and we will miss him.

• hummer344
    16 years ago

As a member of the volunteer group that works at the Heritage, I can say that Mel guidence will be missed. His expertice in every thing roses was truly unique.

There are three pictures posted on here. As plans are made for Mels memorial there might be a call for pic's. Can each of you send me a short note giving permission to use the picture?

Thanks
    David Giroux,

• debnfla8b
    16 years ago

I never had the pleasure of meeting Mel in person. But the love of roses makes us all dear friends sharing the same passion. What a truly wonderful, lovely man...our loss...heavens gain.

May we all only have blessings and never losses.

Deb

• cemeteryrose
    16 years ago

David -
    I have several other good pix of Mel, and of course you are welcome to any of them for the memorial service. I plan to print them out and send them to his wife, as well. If you would like, I could email larger files of them to you. You can send me an email at anitac@surewest.net.
    Anita

• seattlesuze
    16 years ago

David, you're welcome to use the image unless Jeri needs sole use of it for HRG. Jeri? BTW, I wasn't able to email you privately via GW.

Sue

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Permission on the way to you. And, like Anita, I have others you might like to have.
    Just email, and let me know if you want them.

Jeri

• emmiegray1
    16 years ago

My very heartfelt condolences to his family and dear friends.

Mel was a great rosarian, and also - just a nice, decent, all-around friendly human being. My nicest memory of him is the time after the Huntington's Great Rosarians presentation with Peter Harkness - Mel had everyone to his hotel room - it was like a 'Hospitality' suite. I didn't know the majority of the people there, but he just insisted I 'mingle' and made me feel so welcome. Warm, friendly and kind, & one of a kind. Godspeed, Mel.

Thanks for letting us know, Berndoodle.
    a

• rosiegirl_z10
    16 years ago

Mel was one of the finest men I've ever met, rosarian or otherwise. A true gentleman and true friend of the rose.

He will be greatly missed.

• georgia_rose
    16 years ago

So sad to hear this. From his posts and a few emails, he seemed such a gentleman, in addition to his rose knowledge. I know he will be missed.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

No, I don't need sole use. I'm happy to share.

David, like Anita, I have a few other shots of the Kernel that I really love, and I will send you one or two.

Jeri

• tandjroseranch
    16 years ago

So nice to see this memorial for Mel. Thanks David for the phone message. We feel a deep loss and know that the Heritage has some impossible shoes to fill. I've been thinking about Mel while I'm finishing up my pruning.

I am especially grateful to him for teaching me much about what I know about roses while volunteering at the Heritage, and for a few brief exchanges like when we gave him a Clotilde Soupert as a Veteran's Day gift. He nearly blushed and said he'd never received a gift for vet's day before. Then another time I was helping out at the Santa Clara fence site and he said something about none of his trainees in the military ever making general and I said that it was probably because he was too nice. He thought a minute and said, "You're probably right!". Mel was so approachable because he wasn't a professional rosarian - he became one late in life like many of us.

So true that he's got the photogenic gene every girl would want. He visited us at our new nursery six hours away some six years ago and did a Heritage talk at our local rose society. That was our last time in person. I regret we did not know he was ill.

Now Loan can do what she's been playfully threatening to do with all those stray roses he'd bring home! :-) Our hearts, prayers and hugs go out to all of you who were closest to him.

Tracy & Janet Sclar

• User
    16 years ago

Sorry to hear of this loss to our coumunity!

• melissa_thefarm
    16 years ago

Cass,
    Thanks for letting us know about this. 'Only the actions of the just/Smell sweet and blossom in the dust.' Truest of all of the world's rosarians and good men.
    Melissa

• neroseman
    16 years ago

This is very sad news indeed. It was a privilege to meet & talk with him- such a fine gentleman. I like the idea of Mel now planting an OGR garden in heaven...

• rosibug
    16 years ago

This is such a beautiful tribute for a beautiful man. I have had a very difficult week trying to accept that we have lost this very special rosarian.

I guess I just though he would always be there. Even though I knew this was coming, it always comes too soon. The garden won't be the same without him.

I was supposed to drive Mel down to visit Sequoia Nursery before it closes. I was so looking forward to that drive so I could chat with him. I always learned something from our conversations.

He was so cute last weekend when a bunch of us went to visit with him. He wanted us to have some "Rosegrowers", a drink he made up when he would have his "hospitality suite" at special rose events.

I don't know what I'm going to do without my friend. He was one of a kind and a wonderful human being.

My love, prayers and sympathy go out to all his family and friends.

Love you Mel and God Bless

• touchstone_the_clown
    16 years ago

I am very sad to hear this, and quite a bit shocked. I've only talked to Mr. Hulse twice before, but he seemed rather vibrant and healthy. I volunteered once for pruning, and that's where I first saw him in 2000. And the second time I saw him in, perhaps, 2003, this time to donate a Tigris persica rose to the collection. He grew Tigris for a few years at his home, if I recall, to make it bigger before he sent it out to the gardens.

Lo siento--

My condolences to all his family and friends.

• jbcarr
    16 years ago

May God rest his soul. I am once again reminded of our brief time on this lovely Earth.

• carla17
    16 years ago

A great loss, rest in peace Mel.

Carla

• patriciae_gw
    16 years ago

Oh, this is sad. What a loss to the rose community. I cant imagine the loss his family must be feeling.

patricia