Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetgrey

garden goodies

ms. violet grey
10 years ago

I received rose catalogs this week: The Antique Rose Emporium, David Austin, Roses Unlimited. I took them to Starbucks to peruse.

I am excited about my spring order (end of March). The soil was moist, went ahead & dug 7 holes!

P.S. I just found out about the PBS series, Sherlock. I love it! I am on Season 1, episode 2 (Netflix). It comes on after Downton Abbey. It is now in its 3rd season. There seems to be only 3 episodes per season. It is a modern day twist on the classic, albeit zany.

This post was edited by mauvegirl8 on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 0:46

Comments (10)

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Oooo, roses and mysteries! Thank you, Mauvegirl8. :-)
    --PortlandMysteryRose (Carol)

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My purple hyacinth bulbs today. I couldn't believe how quickly the flower formed (like overnight!). The green had surfaced nearly 1 week ago. I had to take a picture.

This post was edited by mauvegirl8 on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 2:26

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If anyone is interested, Target is selling a new organic line of recycled scraps/rose food called Ecoscraps. I thought I'd give it a try. It was $6.99

This post was edited by mauvegirl8 on Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 13:01

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

I'd bet the packaging is costing them much more than the contents.
    Nik

• shopshops
    10 years ago

Mauve girl. How delightful that your hyacinths are emerging. Mine are yet to show. I am in the DFW area. Where are you?. Mine don't emerge until February. Let me know how the rose food works out. I am going organic this year. No more pink capped bottles for me!

• Delphinium zone5
    10 years ago

Mauve girl, I got my rose catalogs last week too. I've been poring over the DA catalog. I can't make up my mind about what to order. It will be Boscobel, Lady of Shallott and possibly Royal Jubilee. I'm not sure about Royal Jubilee though. What are you ordering?

Btw, my family loves Sherlock too, and Downton Abbey. Brecks has a new rose that's called Anna's Promise named from the Downton Abbey series.

Terri

• natalieb2270
    10 years ago

I was out digging holes too with the excitement of Spring in my mind :)

Sherlock is one of the best series on television IMHO, glad you found it and you will love season 3 which just aired last month!

Stay warm,

Natalie

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ordered these:

Edith de Murat
    Kronprincessin Viktoria Von Preussen
    Mme Pierre Over

Jude The Obscure
    Princess Alexandra of Kent
    Munstead Wood x 3

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Mauvegirl,

I looked at your order and just shook my head wishing I could just make the call or fill my my basket with the roses I need and hit send. You selected beauties!

I canceled two orders for Munstead Wood a couple of months ago. I decided that it was just too burgundy/red for the front yard palette but just last night began re-considering it for the back yard. If it can tolerate about an hour of afternoon heat it should be perfect but I do not know why I just cannot bring myself to follow through with ordering that darned rose.

I am enamored with Princess Alexandria of Kent but fear that it will become an enormous bush. I am running out of time but continue to feel reluctance ...

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Desertgarden561, I too am indecisive, yet clicking "place order" was the best rush :). I definitely know which roses appeal to me. I then research HMF, Gardenweb, Google images, and blogs!

P.S. It has rained this week. The holes I dug in preparation are now filled with water!