Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kes4753

Souvenir de Therese Lovet

Kes Z 7a E Tn
10 years ago

I came across this pretty rose while I was searching for an entirely different rose for an entirely different purpose. I have no intention of getting it and have no idea who has it anyway. But for the record, has anyone grown this rose? What are your experiences with it? Is it as fragrant as it's described on HMF? How would it do in the southeast?

Thanks.

Comments (20)

• palustris
    10 years ago

Apparently, this rose is only available from La Roseraie du Désert in Gers, France. This limited distribution means there are probably not many here on gardenweb who have grown it.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Souvenir de Thérèse Levet'

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    10 years ago

I have Souvenir de Therese Lovet that I got as a band from Vintage Gardens in late fall 2012. It has been a slower grower for me than many teas are. I planted it directly into my garden in an area that gets not even half a day of sun, with dappled shade the rest of the day. An established bush of Duchesse de Brabant is on one side of it, and until about a month ago when I moved it to another part of the yard, a pink cuphea was on the other side, but a little behind. Duchesse de Brabant is an enthusiastic grower here, and the cuphea was also pretty large and very dense, so I think Souvenir de Therese Lovet was not getting enough light. It had several cycles of blooms last year, maybe a few flowers at a time. I didn't notice any fragrance, but the flowers did seem to match the picture and description in Liz Druitt and Mike Shoup's 1992 version of "Landscaping With Antique Roses". I just went out and measured my plant - it has one cane just over three feet long, and several other smaller canes just under two feet. New growth buds about a quarter of an inch long were completely unfazed by our 18 degrees Monday night.

The Antique Rose Emporium used to sell it some years ago. I spoke to them several times in 2011, and was finally told in November 2011 that they no longer had a mother plant. I was quite surprised to see it on the ARE website about a month ago, although it is listed as being sold out. I assume that this means they have acquired a plant and that they expect to have some plants for sell this year. It certainly has not been offered by them in the last few years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Souvenir de Therese Lovet page on ARE's website

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

There is a very health looking one of these in the master gardener antique rose garden here in town. I think I may be able to get a cutting since I'm in the master gardener program. Not much help for you but I don't blame you for wanting her; she's lovely!

Good luck finding her. Sad that vintage is not around anymore!

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone.

Plantloverkat, your experience growing it tells me that it can take heat, humidity, a bit of shade and at least a little cold. I can remember winters where 18 degrees was the coldest we saw, but not this year, of course. And thank you for letting me know about ARE. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to see if they have plans to release a few for sale in the future. I wish I could say that a rose being difficult to obtain would make me want it less. But what fun would that be?

Jaspermplants, if you don't mind my asking, how big is the one growing in the antique rose garden near you?

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

The plant was probably 3-4 feet high and 3 feet wide. Not huge; a nice size. I'm not sure how old it was though. Didn't look like a baby though; it was blooming nicely.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is a nice size! I wonder why this rose isn't used more? It seems to have so many lovely attributes. Oh well, guess I'll be harassing- er, checking with ARE to see when they will have one available.

Thanks again, everyone.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Jasper, might it be convenient for you to photograph this plant and post photos, please? Particularly foliage, canes and prickles as well as the general habit of the whole plant. Historical references liken this to Francis Dubreuil, some "experts" stating the two are almost indistinguishable. There is a current discussion concerning both on the thread linked below. And, if at all possible, might bud wood from the plant be made available? Thank you! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Any one growing native species roses continued

• jaspermplants
    9 years ago

Kim, I haven't been over to the gardens where Souvenir de Therese Lovet is located, due to summer heat. However, I will make an effort to get over there soon. I would love to be of help in clarifying the identity of these roses, if I can. I can also check about getting bud wood. I don't think this will be a problem since the person who responsible for the garden mentioned I could take a cutting if I wanted. I will get pictures and post them soon.

Jaspermplants (Debby)

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Thank you Debby! I realize you guys (and gals!) are baking right now. We're suffering through "Arizona light" right now. I appreciate your help! Thank you! Kim

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

odinthor, it is mis-spelled in the thread's subject line, which makes me more impressed that Kim was able to hunt it down to revive the thread.

Debby, I hope you're managing to stay reasonably cool, and also appreciate any help you can provide on the 'SdTL' front. It sounds like she's a rose well worth growing in places that get hot summers...

Virginia

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Therese is also referenced as "Lovet". Multiple spellings of personal names occurred very frequently in rose names. If it LOOKS slimilar, you check it out. Often, that opens doors otherwise undiscovered.

Unfortunately, the Floridian source for Therese has reported back that the plant he had received from Vintage was never very vigorous and was lost. What remains in the garden is the old, "red Tea", Souv. de Germaine de St. Pierre. The names were sufficiently similar for him to remember while traveling, but the tag on the plant corrected the memory. Thank you. Kim

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Odinthor, Probably someone transcribed it phonetically, when hearing it pronounced in French.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Kim, there's a photo of 'SdTL' on Flickr taken last summer at the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden in case that helps...

Virginia

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of 'SdTL' at SJHRG

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Thanks for digging those up, Virginia. There are two. Every little bit helps! Kim

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Yes, there were two photos, but I was thinking about the CA rose as a potential source of budwood (if you happen to know anyone with connections at the SJHRG, and if the rose is in good enough condition to donate to the cause). That other rose is not too accessible for that purpose...

The other photo showed a nice bloom, and both plants do resemble our more promising candidates for being the real-deal 'Francis'.

Bit by bit, we get a little forrarder...

Virginia

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Thank you, Virginia. I do know Jill Perry, the Curator of the Heritage well, but I've already imposed upon her once this hot summer and she graciously sent a bundle of virus indexed root stock and two of my roses I had lost. I'll see how all else plays out. Kim

• roseseek
    9 years ago

I just checked the interactive catalog for the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden. Souv. de Therese Levet is no longer listed as being in that garden. The catalog is at the link below. I wonder if it proved too weak for them to maintain, too? Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: San Jose Heritage Interactive Catalog

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

I see it listed, and there's a link to that Flickr photo.

Try searching just with 'Souvenir' as the keyword. When I did, she was my 5th 'hit'. I searched with 'Therese' and 'Thérèse', and got nada.

Virginia

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Kim, it's listed under Souvenir de Th.

Like Virginia I searched with different Keywords: Levet and Souvenir de Th. and found it.