Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shopshops

OK Enablers. I need a smaller yellow than Mrs Dudley Cross.

shopshops
10 years ago

It's enabling season again! Almost time for a trip to Chamblees and ARE. I am plannning earlier this year. I need a yellow OGR that is just as beautiful but smaller than MDC. Fragrance is a preference, but not a "must have". Also it must be a light or buttery yellow not bright yellow like Nacogdoches or Julia child. Much thanks in advance. Any takers?

This post was edited by shopshops on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 13:33

Comments (17)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

If you are going to ARE, check out Joe Woodard or Ron's Vision. I have both and really like them. Marilyn Moore is a new one [see their 2014 catalog] that is a light yellow, as is Smiling Kitts Bertha. There are 8 new Pioneer roses - I want every one!!

Seil, love your photo of Golden Wings! Mine is a small band - that gives me something to look forward to!
    Judith

• odinthor
    10 years ago

'Small Talk'? (Swim & Weeks, -1960) Flor

'Golden Lace'? (Von Abrams, 1962) Flor

'Topaz'? (Tantau, 1934) Pol

All soft yellows...

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Shopshops, in my experience, Blumenschmidt is somewhat smaller and a tea, like Mrs. Dudley. The Antique Rose Emporium sells both and could confirm this. There's been a whole conversation revolving around the creamy tea Devoniensis. She may grow large in time but can remain small for some time, I believe. I also like some of the pale yellow/apricot Austins for their soft, warm colors. Tamora and Mary Magdalene, for example, are smaller warm Austin roses. White Cecile Brunner has lemony centered flowers.

Seil, charming Golden Wings! It would look sweet with my Nearly Wild or dramatic next to my Dusky Maiden. If it disappears from your rose bed....

Carol

• shopshops
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you guys for the enabling! I do so love to be enabled! Golden wings is such a beauty! Have not yet seen a single yellow that I liked until this one! Thank you Portland Mystery rose. I did not think about blumenschmidt. Will definitely enquire after this one.
    Odinthor you have given me so much to consider. I'm well pleased . Beautiful roses. Now I greedily want them all!
    Alameda you are too funny. You sound just like me. I am adding your suggestions to my list as well. Sigh! Now I need a bigger yard! Love you rose friends. Thanks for the input. I will post pics in the fall.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Looking forward to your pics! Carol

• Molineux
    10 years ago

I was also thinking about BLUMENSCHMIDT. I don't grow it but I do grow the rose it sported from: Mlle. Franziska Kruger. I've got it in my elderly mother's neglected garden in USDA zone 7b. I'm consistently impressed with it. The blooms have a wonderful strong tea rose fragrance and are a marvelous blend of pastel yellow, pink and apricot. Lovely flower form too, and the short shrub looks very graceful from a distance. It has shown good resistance to black spot, blooms prolifically in spite of the weeds and neglect, and unlike the other Chinas & Teas in mom's garden stays at a restrained 3 feet tall. Love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mlle. Franziska Kruger at HelpMeFind Roses

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

I have and love Golden Wings but it is not a small bush. Be advised that the flowers (which are fragrant and close up at night) are large, too, about 4 inches or so. It makes quite a statement in the garden.

What about Charlotte? Or Daybreak? Both of these open a little deeper yellow, but not the mustard gold of Julia Child (a fantastic rose by the way -- I love it) and quickly mature to a buttery primrose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charlotte

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    10 years ago

I don't know if Chamblees or ARE have this one, but Golden Border/Comtesse du Barry might fit the bill.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Border/Comtesse du Barry

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, Golden Border/du Barry, how enchanting! That is a beautiful rose and new to me. My heart is going pitter patter.

I should have said earlier that Golden Wings has four-to-five inch flowers.

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

I was looking for a smaller yellow tea and just bought Soncy from ARE. I can't say much more about it since I just planted it but you might want to check it out.

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

Another single beauty: Limoncello. Said to be fragrant. This is sold as a ground cover.

Here is a link that might be useful: Limoncello at Helpmefind

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

In regard to Blumenschmidt, many people have given it negative reviews, don't find it to be very nice-looking and it is also prone to disease. It's the sport of Mlle. Franziska Kruger, a notoriously finicky rose, and molineux is the only person I've ever heard of who grows it well - it must like benign neglect. When it's good it's gorgeous, but it loves to be bad. I had both of these roses and there was no love lost.

Ingrid

• claferg zone 9a Fl
    10 years ago

I like my Isabella Sprunt. Isn't too large here. A nice tea with fragrance. Pretty care free for me in my garden.

• shopshops
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks calf erg . I will look into Isabella sprint. Will make a short list soon.

• Molineux
    10 years ago

With regards to Teas I think region and climate has a lot to do with why Mlle. Franziska Kruger does so well for my mother. Her garden is on a peninsula located in Tidewater Virginia. Winters are mild, summers hot and humid, with good year round precipitation. Soil is rich and black from silt deposited eons ago during flooding. In a drier climate with alkaline soil ... well I've read that some Teas like Duchesse de Brabant that are a stable in the Old South are less than stellar in California.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Shopshops, I can't seem to pinpoint your gardening location. Blumenschmidt and Franziska can be persnickety, but they are also happy in the right climate. I have entertained growing them in PDX and know that they will not grow as well as they did in TX. As Molineaux suggested, some locations are prime for these two teas and as Ingrid suggested, in some locations these roses are bad to worse. Can hardly wait to hear about your choices. I don't have much garden time these days, so I'm gardening vicariously through the forum. Carol