Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla17_gw

Jean TN, did anyone save her disease pics

carla17
17 years ago

If anyone has Jean's disease article with photos, would you please send it to me.

Thanks,

Carla

cg.parker@charter.net

Comments (18)

• jean
    17 years ago

Here you go:

Powdery mildew:

{{gwi:223211}}

Blackspot:

{{gwi:223212}}

Botrytis:

{{gwi:223213}}

Anthracnose:

{{gwi:223214}}

Cercospora (early stages):

{{gwi:223215}}

Rose rosette disease:

{{gwi:223216}}

More rose rosette disease:

{{gwi:223217}}

More rose rosette disease:

{{gwi:223218}}

Thrips damage:

{{gwi:223220}}

Canker:

{{gwi:223222}}

Canker:

{{gwi:223225}}

Canker:

{{gwi:223227}}

Rose mosaic virus:

{{gwi:223229}}

There you have it.

Jean

• irish_rose_grower
    17 years ago

What a great bunch of photos Jean. I had no idea that was canker. What exactly is canker? I thought that was winter damage.

• carla17
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, I think I must look up Downy Mildew. I think that is what mine have.

Thanks Jean!

Carla

• patricianat
    17 years ago

Jean has been sneaking into my garden again with her camera. :-)

• ehann
    17 years ago

Hee, Patricia! That was funny!

Jean, thanks for posting the pictures--I usually can't tell the difference between regular blackspot, athracnose and cerospora. I better bookmark this.

• jean
    17 years ago

Carla -

Downy mildew starts out purple and the leaves turn yellow practically overnight and drop. It generally starts at the top and works its way down. Blackspot works from the ground up.

Patricia - everything in this post was taken in my garden except the RRD pictures. I don't have to sneak anywhere to get pics of rampant disease. :-) Besides, we all know your garden is impeccable.

Jean

• carla17
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Jean. It is not Downy, I know that. It's either Anthracose or just BS. But it doesnn't look like BS. I have someone on the case. No doubt, your pictures are always a great help.

Carla

• michaelg
    17 years ago

Why not bump this up, he thought.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Yeah, it is about time again.

For those who are new to roses or just need a refresher, Jean posted these photos. Thank you again Jean!!!

• aliska12000
    16 years ago

What do Japanese beetles look like? I think I've got something where I planted my Graham Thomas, don't know if they came with the rose or were lurking in that spot, icky brown things, maybe the size of a dime.

• olga_6b
    16 years ago

It is too early for Jap beetles in zone 5.

{{gwi:223231}}

Olga

• cziga
    16 years ago

Wow that is a great set of photos, really helpful.

Is canker a really bad one? What do you do to "fix" that problem?

• jody
    16 years ago

cziga - the cure is pruners. As in remove it. A spray with fungacide afterwards is thought to be helpful. Canker is the major reason I grow ownroots - in my experience they are less susceptible and if infected suffer less damage.

• cziga
    16 years ago

That sounds easy enough. Every time I see a disease or problem of some sort, I start getting worried :) There are so many major things that can go wrong . . .

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

Can I bump this?

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

Subk on the rose forum was looking for a way to find Jean Harrison's threads - so I found this classic thread and bumped it from 2007. The other one I like is her list of No Spray roses which I'll also bump up.

You can do a search for recent threads using the search function w/in gardenweb or for older threads just do a google search, something like gardenweb antique rose jean (or whatever you're looking for). Someone may know a better way to find things, but this works okay.

Gean

• subk3
    11 years ago

Thank you Gean!

• zeffyrose
    11 years ago

Does anyone hear from Jean-?--I haven't seen anything from her for a long time

Florence

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH