Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosecorgis

Shape of bushes -- Young Lycidas and Lady Emma Hamilton

rosecorgis
14 years ago

I have two bare root Austins coming soon -- Young Lycidas and Lady Emma Hamilton. I couldn't resist the colors of either.

Can anyone describe the shape and growth habits of the bushes themselves? This is so important when placing the plant in the garden yet is so rarely mentioned.

I realize YL is new to the states this year, but perhaps someone from the UK or a US test garden would know.

Thanks,

Debbie

Comments (8)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

LEH has been growing like a small low (very low) climber here. 4' canes that bloom at the tips then break at every leaf bud, producing a short lateral that also blooms.

HOWEVER, it's a baby plant, (planted 1/2009), so who knows what it will do this year.

• andreageorgia
    14 years ago

Our climate in southeast England (zone 8) is probably a tad different from yours, but fwiw I can tell you that Lady Emma (3 seasons with me) is by no means a climber here, but barely 3 ft tall and 3-4 ft wide. The overall impression is of very well behaved, shrubby, wide and well branched rose. It blooms all the time and well through the first frosts here (Dec), often into January, and doesn't want to lose its coppery leaves either. It could very well be an evergreen and everbloomer in your climate, and will probably grow bigger than it does here. It definitiely is a super performer with great color and one of the most amazing complex fruity scents.

I've had Young Lycidas for two seasons and it's a very short rose, under 2 ft so far, with huge and perfumed blooms that can weigh down the slender branches at times. Overall it's fairly upright and vaseshaped, perhaps a bit twiggy, and it definitely takes a breather between bloom cycles. But color and its damask perfume are fantastic, and I love the shape of the flowers, especially before they open entirely - at which point they begin to reflex back and acquire a bit of a blousy look with a softer silvery lavender color, which is also nice, but not as striking as the deep magenta and nicely folded petals of the earlier stages. The blooms last a very long time, up to a couple of weeks here. Keep it close to the border so you can see and smell it.

Hope this helps,
    Andrea

• robynb
    14 years ago

I have two Lady Emmas that I planted last January as bare-roots. Both have done very well, but even here in sunny hot California, where most Austins become monsters, she has stayed a well-shaped small shrub. She's the smallest of all my Austins (I have 20+). She is also one of my very favorites, for her blooms are lovely, frequent, and plentiful. She is one of the only Austins that has blooms that match their catalog photos in depth of color - I find that most Austins in the catalog/website photos are depicted much darker and richer in color than they are in real life in my garden. She is also a very healthy plant, in my no-spray garden with is rampant with powdery mildew, she is one of the roses that stays very clean. I love this rose. Gorgeous foliage, too.

• rosecorgis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback!! I'm especially happy to hear that Young Lycidas is staying smaller for you. In my climate everything gets bigger, so it gives me hope!

I'm totally smitten with LEH and can't wait to get her. I think I've chosen a good place that will allow her some room.

Thanks again!!

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    14 years ago

My LEH got about 2-1/2 ft tall and about 3 ft wide. She blooms regularly. I wish I had more room to have several of her. I really like the fragrance. I'm glad she is not a monster....yet.

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

My LEH is short and small too. She is lovely..however I am like the rest of the folks who wish Austins bloom longer.

• crazymary_2009
    14 years ago

I just ordered Young Lycidas from the Austin website. That was the only place I could find it here (Lodi, CA). I was hoping it would stay low. Can't wait to get it.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County