Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Roses Growing Together..

jacqueline9CA
11 years ago

Here is a picture of (mostly - a few others snuck in) Buff Beauty and Summer WIne growing all tangled up along our fence (you can't see the fence). The picture was taken out of our back porch window. The roses were planted to block the view of the charming old garage next door, which is practically on the property line. Anyway, I tend to like big roses, and I am too lazy to control them much, except to attempt to keep them from blocking the driveway or paths. All of my roses intermingle themselves with any other rose they can get near - breaking all of the "rules" about planting them far enough apart so that they stay separate. I think that since we do not have a humid climate in the Summer, this does not cause many problems, as long as you are willing to enjoy the chaos, instead of worrying about it. Anyway, I find looking at pics of this sort of thing soothing during the Winter - could anyone else who has similar pictures of roses co-habiting please post some?

Jackie

Comments (35)

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OOps - here is the picture that was supposed to be with the above.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

Absolutely charming, Jackie, and what a great way to hide an eyesore. The roses seem blissfully happy and once again I find myself wanting to stand in your garden and drink it all in.

Ingrid

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Ingrid.

Jackie

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    11 years ago

Jackie, How beautiful! Here is my joyful tangle: one corner, 5 climbers, photo is from late April 2012. They are not TOTALLY intermingled yet, but no doubt will be, because I don't referee much -- dive underneath once in a while to cut out dead wood. The pink rose (sent as Old Blush bush form and is obviously not, being now 15' tall and an avid climber; maybe Cl. Old Blush? but the flowers are only about 1 1/2" across; blooms every month of the year anyway) is totally enmeshed in the whitest rose, which is Mme. Alfred Carriere. In front of them is Celine Forestier and, just visible in the upper left are the leaves of Reve d'Or, the newest member of the group, which has been stealthily implicating her canes into the crowd. On the right is Francesca. She and Celine are lately embracing each other across the path.

I, too, very much enjoy this sort of arrangement, which here is all under a huge old pepper tree on the outskirts of the garden (Mme. Alfred is now at least 20' up into the pepper tree)

{{gwi:223451}}

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

Mostly that can work very well. It happens all over my garden. I have to say though that sometimes it is a nightmare. I have spent two entire days separating several large roses. These are free growing, not on a fence. There are two Scharlagluts, an Eddies Crimson, Ispahan, and some kind of Moyesii that fell all over each other and became hopelessly(almost) tangled including gigantic amounts of dead wood. They were fine last spring but somehow when I wasn't looking they ran amuck. They're planted all at least ten feet apart.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

I love that sort of chaos. :-)

Jeri

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the glorious picture, I love, love it. I was not familiar with Celine Forestier or Francesca - looks like I need to be!

Here is another one from our garden - Duchesse de Brabant and some sort of Cecile Brunner growing together - I did not plant either of them - they are heirlooms from my husband's ancestors.

Anyone else have these sorts of pictures of roses growing together? Would love to see them!

Jackie

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I too love this kind of chaos! Catspa--to the right of center, under the blooms of MAC, is that clematis or a reflection?
    I have Reve D'or and MAC coming this spring!
    You all's photos are lovely. Floral riot.
    Susan

• annesfbay
    11 years ago

I love the photos-- very beautiful and bountiful. Talk about bowers of flowers! And I hope to have some intermingling roses in the next couple of years.

Anne

• jaspermplants
    11 years ago

Love the look of the roses intertwined!

11 years ago

Susan, that is reflection off the leaves (and buds!) of the China rose. In the photo, the China is actually just beginning a big flush and didn't peak until maybe two weeks afterward. This is what makes it such a great partner for MAC, I think. I have three separate MACs and all of them have 5 to 6' of naked legs, but the China rose always has leaves and flowers down to the ground. It also intertwines and climbs nicely up this MAC's canes.

Pamela, I imagine this probably does work best with climbers and twiners -- like an informal hedge of hybrid musks. Bushes don't seem to meld so gracefully most of the time.

Debbie

• sherryocala
    11 years ago

So gorgeous, Jackie and Catspa. Don't have any such photos, but I'm hoping someday.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• User
    11 years ago

'There are two Scharlagluts, an Eddies Crimson, Ispahan, and some kind of Moyesii that fell all over each other'

Grief! Did you wear armour of some sort? Even here in the UK, these are ramping giants - although the very clear picture in my head (I grow these roses) is a truly cheerful blaze of brightness....and the heps too!

• mariannese
    11 years ago

My purple corner is a total mess but I didn't plan it that way. Being unused to own root roses I didn't expect Centifolia a fleurs doubles violettes (may really be L'Eveque) and Violacea (aka La belle Sultane) to become rampant and spread all over the border. Rhapsody in Blue stays in place. On the far right one can see a few flowers of Perennial Blue (more red than blue) peeping out. It was planted because I believed the Secret Garden Musk Climber there had died so the tangle at the back is even worse than at the front. SGMC flowers outside the photo. The original apricot roses in this bed have died because of the competition, Buff Beauty and Abraham Darby. Only Floral Fairy Tale lives precariously to the right.

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

Here's a photo of one of the Scharlagluts with Ispahan and some other roses. There is an ornamental apricot tree in there somewhere. And yes the heps are fabulous.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Love the pictures! More, please?

Jackie

11 years ago

Marianne, maybe a "mess" by commonplace standards but I love the effect of that suite of colors and blossom forms (including those purple foxgloves). Illustrates another option for intermingling: rampant root runners. I have put own-root La Belle Sultane and "Old Red Runaround" (ominous name for those preferring discipline and order in the garden, I think!) separately in some tough, bare areas with the hope they will fill them -- I think I might put some together and see how they mingle.

Thank you, Jackie, for bringing up this landscape aspect of roses -- very inspiring for me.

~Debbie

11 years ago

Marianne, that is absolutely gorgeous. I have a purple corner in mind and wanted to add some apricot. You all have the most gorgeous gardens!
    Marianne, what is the fuschia color to the far left and the deep purple above it? I'm not familiar with those roses.
    Catspa, what is the china at the feet of your MACs?
    You all keep these photos coming.
    Marianne, I would love to see any other "color corner"s you have.
    Thanks so much!
    Susan

11 years ago

Catspa, what is the china at the feet of your MACs?

Poorbutroserich, I wish I knew! It is the pink China climbing up through the MAC in the photo I posted above. It was sent from The Uncommon Rose around 2002/3 as the bush form of Old Blush, which it obviously isn't. I have scrutinized recovered lists from The Uncommon Rose (now defunct) to see what the possibilities are. They did list Rouletii, if I remember correctly, but not Cl. Rouletii, which I have thought a possibility for this one. I think Cl. Old Blush was also on the list, but the flowers on this plant are never more than 2" and mostly 1.5". It has a faint fragrance like sweet peas from time to time. Here's some close-ups of it:

{{gwi:223453}}

{{gwi:223454}}

With Celine Forestier:

{{gwi:223455}}

• mariannese
    11 years ago

The double dark purple rose to the far left is L'Eveque, the single La Belle Sultane is almost everywhere. It's colour is a little too reddish in the photo because of the sunlight, it's really also a dark purple. I forgot to mention that there is a small, struggling and non-flowering Crown Princess Margareta at the front, the last survival of the apricots. I'll clean up this bed in spring. Margareta and Perennial Blue both deserve better.

I have other color themed beds but no good pictures.

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

This is one of my favorite Roses Growing Together shots. This is from the door of my studio last June. The roses are Blaze, The Beacon, Madame Alfred C., Fulgens, Sally Holmes, Jadis, and Complicata.

• annesfbay
    11 years ago

Okay, the single petal on Budda's head is the icing on the cake for this gorgeous picture, I think :-)

Anne

11 years ago

What wonderful photos! Being a purple freak, I love mariannese's composition. I wanted to weep when I saw catspa's Celine Forestier among her beautiful tangle of roses. In almost four years I never had a single flower that came close to those gorgeous blooms; must be just another rose that doesn't like hot and dry. The beautiful statue of The Buddha among the roses and silvery plants creates a truly sublime composition. I LOVE seeing everyone's gardens here even more than seeing pictures of individual roses (although those are wonderful too), not only for the beauty of the gardens but also because they give glimpses of the owners' personalities and the individual ways they've chosen to express themselves and their love for roses and other plants.

Ingrid

• annesfbay
    11 years ago

Perfectly said, Ingrid! My sentiments exactly.

Anne

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pam - what I like most (there are, of course, dozens of things!) about your garden is the growing-together, romantic nooks, new gorgeous scenes around each corner attributes - it is a wonderland.

Here is a funny pic of some of my roses growing together - the orange fading to peachy pink fading to white one in the foreground is an unknown rose that I think someone brought over to me as a dinner party hostess gift - I stuck it in the ground out by the street (you can clearly see the street curb in the bottom left of the picture), and forgot about it. It came to my attention years later, doing this. Actually, it is in full bloom right now - I just noticed it yesterday. The dark pink rose is the original Flower Carpet, which has also been left mostly on its own out by the street. The white rose way in the background is Gourmet Popcorn - it is on the other side of the sidewalk.

Jackie

• monarda_gw
    11 years ago

Wow! I didn't think I liked roses with the color and shape of "Summer Wine", but what is an exquisite companion for Buff Beauty. Also it shows how misguided it can be to have "principles" (i.e., prejudgments). Of course Celine Forestiere is beyond beautiful, as are many of the others shown here.

11 years ago

Here are Zephirine Drouhin and Cecile Brunner

• fogrose
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Jackie, Pam and everyone for posting the photos and being proud of your wonderful tangled paradises. Now I feel confident I'm not doing the wrong thing on our new fence which I plan to allow a lot of roses to join each other. The roses are just getting started so photos will have to wait.

Diane

• melissa_thefarm
    11 years ago

Oh, WOW (Words of Wonder). I sure hope that one day I have a rose jungle too. This is definitely where I want to go.
    Fabulous pictures, everybody!! Thanks!!

• jaspermplants
    11 years ago

Me too, Melissa. Definitely my inspiration photos. Wonderful!

11 years ago

The last two photos again are breath-taking. I'm in rose heaven on this thread. What a striking difference from the usual suburban sameness that most of us see everywhere. If only more people knew that you can create your own paradise and surround yourself with beauty, and expose your children to the delights of a garden like this, which also draws in many birds and little creatures for them to enjoy and find out about. It's a nurturing and calming place for everyone, just what this increasingly stressful world needs.

Ingrid

11 years ago

I'm happier than a pig in slop! These photos are amazing. Wow! I'm truly awed by the beauty of these gardens. I am clipping all these posts to save for inspiration.
    Beauty like this is fertilizer for the SOUL.
    Thank you all so much and keep posting.
    Susan

• sidos_house
    11 years ago

I wanted to thank everyone for posting these pictures too. They are quite inspiring -- I just love that tousled, cottage-y look and am hoping to create some of that in my own young garden. I am new to actually posting on this forum and am not sure if it considered good etiquette to bring up fairies here but, Mariannese, your purple corner would be the perfect home for one.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

Luscious. Whine, whine, I want mine to look like that NOW.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had tried to find this pic for the above thread, but couldn't. Came across it this morning (my picture filing skills are lacking), so I thought I would post it. It is banksia lutea and Cl. Cecile Brunner climbing up my house. The reason this pic is unusual is that these two roses normally DO NOT bloom at the same time - the banksia is usually all done before the CB starts to bloom. However, one Spring they decided to bloom together -

Jackie