Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Trip To Chamblees

After 2 solid days of rain, couldn't stand it anymore. Yesterday was beautiful, sunny and warming so a gardening friend and I took off for Tyler. We hit our favorite antique store, Blue Moon Gardens and Chamblees. Didn't "need" any more roses, but yes, I really did. Chamblees looks great, a few roses blooming but the greenhouse roses are pruned and it wont be long until they are leafing out and starting to bud.
I got:
Archduke Charles
Mutablis [my plant has a very thick main stem and I plan to turn this into a climber]
Dark Desire [which I hear is very fragrant],
The Alnwick Rose
Strawberry Hill
Winter Sunset
South Africa
Polonaise
Reve D'Or
Mrs. Dudley Cross
Enchanted Autumn
Pink Don Juan
From the sale area:
Cottage Rose - Austin
Portmeiron - Austin
Zephirine Druhin
Comtesse du Cayla

Then we hit Pier I, who had their pretty Easter decorations out. A great reward for all the dreary days!
Judith

Comments (17)

• buford
    9 years ago

Wow, sounds like fun! I like your choices. I have Dark Desire coming from Palantine. I am making an order to Chamblees through my Rose Society and I'm getting Mrs. BR Cant and AD Charles.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You will love Mrs. BR Cant! Tough as boot leather. I have different colored crepe myrtles with Mrs. BR Cant, Mon. Tillier, Mme Berkeley, Planteserie in between them - they grow like crazy, never need to be watered [after the first year], bloom lots....great roses, all. I was thrilled to get Archduke Charles finally - Chamblees seems to stay sold out of the 1 gallons. They have wonderful plants, are great to do business with - love visiting their nursery!
    Judith

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Judith sounds like you had a great visit and got some beautiful roses. I was excited to hear what you got in the bargain area, do you think they had enough Cottage rose that some will still be there in March? I hope so! I am making a trip there in March and have been wondering what treasures they have in the bargain area so your post was exciting to see. Have fun with all you new roses and I will have to check out Blue moon gardens.

P.S. You will love Pink Don Juan too. One of my favorite roses and smells better than red DJ.

This post was edited by boncrow66 on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 22:26

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Judith, what a fun companion you'd be on a rose shopping trip! Wish I could have been there. How great to have a nursery like Chamblee's within driving distance.

Ingrid

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

Totally jealous! Chamblee's is so far from me! Looks like you got some great roses!

• lesmc
    9 years ago

Sounds like a day in Heaven to me. Great roses and fun shopping. This winter weather here is really starting to get to me! lesley

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

...I've just been to Chamblee's.... looked at it on Google Maps.... very flat country.... lots of lovely pots of things growing in their greenhouses... quite extensive.... I almost felt I could walk right in....

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ingrid, guaranteed you would get into trouble traveling with me! I stop at every nursery and the vehicle is always loaded! What fun we have!

I always regretted I couldn't have made it to Vintage Gardens. What a sight that would have been.

The folks at Chamblees are so nice and knowledgeable - order from them with confidence and if you are anywhere close - stop by - its a trip worth taking!
    Judith

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

So was there still a good selection of cottage rose in the bargain section? I'm trying to help my mom who is on a budget plant a new rose bed.

Original Author
    9 years ago

As I recall....there was still a nice selection of Cottage Rose, also Portmeiron - I remember seeing The Prince [already got that one] - those were the only Austins I remember in the sale area. There were some Bucks, some Ping Lims like My Girl, Super Hero.....you will find some excellent bargains for $2.50 a pop. Not to mention the beautiful greenhouses! Find a pretty day, play hooky and go!
    Judith

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Thanks Judith! I am excited about my trip and can't wait to shop for roses! I have my list made but I'm sure I'll find something not on my list I can't live without :).

Original Author
    9 years ago

When are you going? Whats on your list? Be aware that sometimes they get sold out of things.....and their one gallons, which are the most cost effective, are sometimes so small I just wait until they are back in stock later - Abe Darby is one I had a hard time getting. I was thrilled to get a nice looking Reve d'Or this time. You will find some real deals in the "boneyard"/sale area. I always go there first! Their roses are so healthy and they take such good care of them - I actually could go there a couple of times a month.....but I have so many to plant now, have to contain myself! My pot ghetto looks like a nursery, and I have lots of daylilies too......Have fun and let us know what you get!
    Judith

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

So far my list consist of:

Mrs. Dudley Cross
    Mrs. B. R. Can't
    Duchesse de Brabant
    Caldwell pink
    Belinda's dream
    Tamora
    The Alnwick
    And if the Prince and cottage rose from the bargain area if they still have any left. I'm not sure yet when I'm going, depends on work. I am also going to be going to the Austin area soon and plan in stopping by ARE. My list for them will be:
    Blush noisette
    Clotilde soupert
    Mme Isaac piere
    La vesuve or Baronne prevost

Super excited about both trips and can't wait for spring!

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Great selections! It would be so nice to have a rose nursery close enough to go to and shop. I really miss it since Great Lakes Roses closed a few years back.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I forgot to add Buff Beauty and I also want to plant 3 DA's together to form one big looking bush next to the main stairs leading up to my deck and can't decide between:
    Sceptor d isle
    Queen of Sweden
    Strawberry hill
    Alnwick.
    Cottage Rose (if Chamblees still has it when I go)
    Or I could put two of these together and put the Heritage that I already have in the front.

So any suggestions on the above will be welcome. I want good rebloom and it will be getting pretty much all day sun. Thanks!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

bowcrow, of your list I've only grown Cottage Rose which was quite satisfactory, although in my garden it only grew to 4 feet tall at the most, and it is rather thorny. Not much disease but probably not in the same class as Austin's more recent roses. I do think the flowers are pretty. I wouldn't put another rose in front of this one since it's fairly short. However, results may be different for you since I have poor soil and little rain.

Ingrid

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Thanks Ingrid, I appreciate the advice. I was concerned about putting heritage in the front of something that wasn't going to compliment it. I think I have narrowed it down to sceptor d isle, queen of Sweden or Alnwick.