Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Height of Reine des Violettes in a Dry Climate

Posted by ingrid_vc Z10 SoCal (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 14:42

I received my RdV two days ago from Greenmantle Nursery and it will go in the ground today. Placement is a bit of a problem since this was something of an impulse purchase and this is not a rose I can plop just anywhere because of its size and its need for afternoon shade. I've picked out a spot about 1 1/2 yards in front of Mutabilis, my only fear being that it may get as tall as M, which I would not want. M is just about the only rose in my garden that has attained its expected height. All of my teas are still relatively short compared to what others have reported. I now suspect (took me only 7 years) that when the platform of the house was cut into the side of the hill there was precious little if any topsoil left and this, in addition to the heat, has caused the poor performance of so many of my roses. There's not a whole lot more I can do now than to mulch with organic matter, leaves and rabbit droppings to attempt to improve the situation.

I was wondering whether any of you are growing Reine des Violettes in hot and dry conditions, and what height your rose has achieved. It seems to be a large sprawler in more humid, rainy environments, but I would like to keep mine at not much over five feet. Does that seem like a feasible possibility?

Ingrid

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Height of Reine des Violettes in a Dry Climate

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 21, 14 at 14:54

I am NOT in a dry climate at all but my RdV is huge! It's at least 10 feet tall and probably 6 feet wide and that's tied up, as best I can, to a trellis. I have no idea how much it might spread if it weren't tied. She is just gorgeous though when she blooms and you can smell her from across the yard!

o

Our climate is hot and humid, my RDV is just over 5' tall and about 3' wide, rather upright in growth. Got this adult plant from Eurodesert when they were closing, and really love the blooms. I do prune it down quite a bit in February, one of the few ogrs that I do prune. This has so far kept the size in bounds. It's on the east side of the house, gets afternoon shade.

o

Mine is on a tutor and about 4-5 feet tall and only going on 3 years old

o

Thank you for your replies. I think that given my conditions I can probably keep it at the height ogrose has hers, which would be perfect.

Ingrid

o

Reine des Violettes hardly grew for me at all, and I gave it about 4 years to show its stuff. Chlorotic all the time. I don't know if it was the alkaline soil or the salts in our water. YMMV, and I do hope it does. At its best it is a glorious rose. I really wanted it to do well.

Rosefolly

o

Thanks for sharing your experience, rosefolly. All I can do is hope that it will be happier here. At any rate, I've wanted to try it for years and at least I'll know with certainty that I wasn't meant to have it. Right now it's three bare, smooth canes, not a sign of anything positive yet, but I'm hopeful. I'll give an update here in the spring.

Ingrid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here