Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shopshops

Size of Comte De Chambord

shopshops
9 years ago

Hello
Does anyone know how big the Comte gets in warmer winter zones for example Texas, Georgia or California? I just ordered one from David Austin Roses for $17.98 and I am eagerly planning his placement.
Thank you soooooo much!

Comments (9)

• malcolm_manners
    9 years ago

We grow it on 'Fortuniana' roots, which tends to give great vigor to a rose. I don't know that I've ever seen it taller than perhaps 6 feet, usually less, nor wider than 4 feet, usually less. We do give ours a pretty severe haircut every spring, so I don't know what it would do with no pruning.

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Six feel tall on its own roots here in the Bay Area of California, blooming all at the top and I could not get it to bloom lower. Chlorotic in my high pH soil. YMMV. Nutritional issues did not keep it from being vigorous.

Rosefolly

• shopshops
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for replying Malcom and rose folly. Seems like I may have to place the Comte in my " tea alley" where he can grow as he pleases ðÂÂÂ

• newtie
    9 years ago

You have your Comte on the way, but I would like to suggest a replacement in case you don't have good luck with the Comte. A much better rose for me, that is virtually identical in all respects except disease resistance and vigor, is Gertrude Jekyll. Comte is a parent of Jekyll. Both have the same bloom and exceedingly strong classic rose fragrance and vicious thorns, but Jekyll is very healthy for me and a strong bloomer whereas Comte is a black spot magnet and generally drops most of its leaves by mid summer. Comte is spindly and a weak grower here, whereas Jekyll, on her own roots, is a very strong grower. I live in Hattiesburg Ms, our summers are hot and humid. It's zone 8b. Incidentally, here Jekyll seems to like a rather severe haircut in late January. It will cover itself in new growth and blooms magnificently.
    I have been critical of the Austin roses as not performing well in my zone, and particularly being not so long lived . I make an exception however for Gertrude Jekyll, Graham Thomas and Pilgrim. I haven't tried nearly all the Austin roses, but I have tried many, Those I mentioned have been excellent performers in my hands, all the others I've tried were just so so.

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Gertrude Jeckyll is a better rose for me as well. It does not have the same issues with chlorosis, a decided improvement. Also it does not insist on having all its roses up over my head. I have two in my garden here, one growing as a shrub and another I am fanning out against the front fence.

GT has a reputation of being a shy rebloomer. It is one of the roses I find improves with age in this area. Young GTs don't rebloom much, if at all. Older plants rebloom maybe twice during the growing season here, which I find to be perfectly satisfactory. I would list GT as one of David Austin's dozen finest roses, and very possibly one of the half dozen finest. (Munstead Wood and the once-blooming Constance Spry would also be on this list).

Rosefolly

• shopshops
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much Rosefolly and Newtie. I will call Austin and ask for an exchange. I always wanted to try Gertrude Jekyll, but I thought the Antique would be superior. I love this forum.

• shopshops
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much Rosefolly and Newtie. I will call Austin and ask for an exchange. I always wanted to try Gertrude Jekyll, but I thought the Antique would be superior. I love this forum.

• shopshops
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• shopshops
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths