Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesmc

Lady Emma or Lady Shalot?

lesmc
11 years ago

Can I see some discussion on these two gems? I only have room for one here in my Louisville, KY, zone 6 garden. I have grown a couple of Austins and have had moderate luck...enough that I want to try more. The color of both of these is just beautiful to me, but I would so appreciate any information that might help me decide. I will add it to my DA order of England`s Rose and Sharif Asthma.I do spray Bayer every 10 days`- two weeks. A necessity here in blackspot heaven! Interested in bloom production (St. Swithum, not 1 bloom in two years), size (some Austins are much taller here,Golden Celebration) and scent. Thanks to anyone that might respond. Lesley

Comments (26)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

I like LEH very much, but my climate is very different. Bloom production is very good, as is the scent. It's about one third the size of monster GC here. Don't have TLOS.

• caldonbeck
    11 years ago

No useful advice regarding growth as I'm in England but, I opted for lady emmah hamilton simply because I much prefer the colour. The main point I want to make though is about Englands Rose, if you spray it it will sulk like crazy, it HATES spray!! I predict if you sprayed it with disease it would stay clean so try it no spray first. Insecticide it seems to tolerate but it doesn't get aphids like some. It will proliferate but again, nothing too serious.

• kstrong
    11 years ago

Lady of Shalott is a horse of a rose here. One year old plant is covering an 8 foot high with 6 foot crossbar rebar trellis, and it shows no signs of slowing. But that is with a 12 month growing season. Probably would be good for zone 6 for that reason -- it's a fast, fast, rampant grower. Good bloomer too, though, which is sometimes not the case with these Austin grow monsters. Also, no mildew, which makes it a good Cal coastal rose.

• caldonbeck
    11 years ago

You always know what you're going to get when he says or 8' as a climber lol.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

I have never seen the two roses side by side, but my impression is that the color-contrast on Lady Em is more dramatic--which might not blend in well with a more OGR type garden. But I've read some highly enthusiastic posts on Lady Em on this forum also.

I've grown Lady of Shalott for one season now and it is one of my absolute favorite roses. The apricot/golden blend is a bit softer and more harmonious that the colors on Lady Em. Shalott also has a touch of peach/pink in there--I like that complexity of colors. She did as good a job withstanding the summer heat as any other rose in my garden--and no disease.

Kate

• gryhwk2330
    11 years ago

Dublinbay - How did your Lady of Shallot hold up in the heat this year? This was the first year for mine and as soon as I planted her, the temperature soared to the 90's and stayed there for the rest of the summer. Granted, it was her first year and she was still adjusting, but mine produced mainly yellow flowers in the heat. That was a real bummer because I planted her next to a Golden Celebration! LOL

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

gryhwk, soaring summer temps were a problem here in Kansas also--over 100 degrees for a good portion of the summer!

I was surprised at how well my new Lady of Shalott performed in the excessive heat--it kept chugging out the blooms until August--when almost everything in my garden finally gave up trying to do anything in that oven-like environment!

As to color, the Lady didn't do too bad a job keeping it up--though the more bland wheat-colored tones (rather than the more exotic apricot/golden tones) tended to prevail more as the HOT summer wore on. However, the color wasn't bad--just lacked some punch, if you know what I mean. But I should add that the Lady gets a couple hours of shade in the afternoon--so she may have needed that to keep on looking so good.

A wheat-colored Lady next to Golden Celebration--not quite my ideal color combination! LOL

Kate

• gryhwk2330
    11 years ago

Thanks for your response Kate. No, that's not the color combination I'd envisioned either! Mine are in full sun. I'll see what she does in the Spring but it sounds like I may be moving her this year!

Kerry

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

Caldonbeck!! Youre killing me with these photos!
    I have no more room for roses and then I see that Aldonbeck picture and next thing is: I am wondering if I need to rip out the yard now! SO beautiful!!

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    11 years ago

I have both of these roses. For me, Lady Emma Hamilton is a smaller bush. It does not get very tall, but it does spread sideways somewhat. Lady of Shalott will throw long canes. It is more of an improved Pat Austin, if you will. It has a similar color but blooms a lot more and manages our blistering summers. It does not have the fragrance level that Lady Emma has. Both varieties will bleach some in our heat. Both are nice roses, but it depends on how much space you intend to allot for the plant.

• caldonbeck
    11 years ago

lol @lola-lemon I'm lucky in so much as I'm 40 miles away from the nursey at Albrighton so my climate suits them perfectly. The only difference is that at Albrighton they have the worst red sand as soil and I have loam, so better soil and same climate, they thrive.

• lesmc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to all that gave me their information on these roses. I really appreciate your time and consideration. I am going with Lady Emma!!! Mostly due to space restriction. I am very excited. Now, my last open place I will need to decide between Queen of Sweden and B. Britten. Any suggestion...anyone? Thanks again. Lesley

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    11 years ago

In terms of growth habits, my Queen of Sweden gets tall, about 6 to 7 ft but is primarily cylindrical in growth. It doesn't spread much. It also doesn't rebloom much. Benjamin Britten, however, left to his own, is a monster, but it reblooms quite well and all season. It seems to do better with hard pruning in the spring which is something I don't always get to do. I hope this helps a bit.

• caldonbeck
    11 years ago

QoS definitely. Bit too upright maybe so keep it pruned relatively low or you will get blooms looking up at the sky. Quite floriferous here with just a bit of tomato fert in between main feeds.

• kstrong
    11 years ago

Today -- Lady of Shalott:

{{gwi:223918}}

{{gwi:223920}}

{{gwi:223922}}

• lesmc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh my, Kstrong....what a picture! Thank you so much for sharing Lady with me. I know you are in Calif. and I am in Ky., but I don`t have that kind of room!!!! I do love the close up shot, but I`m going with Emma. I must ask....are your roses planted in pots? Or is that rings around the base of your roses? I would love to see a photo of Lady when she is in full bloom. I bet she is a true beauty. Thanks for your time and info......Lesley

• kstrong
    11 years ago

Around the base is just a piece of old rusty metal flashing -- the kind you put on roofs to seal the seam between two parts of construction, say a chimney and a roof. The point of using that around the base is to keep the water and the food near the plant. It only goes about an inch into the ground, but the ground slowly builds up inside the ring, over time, as compost and other goodies are added.

• mariannese
    11 years ago

You just made me reconsider my plans for my west facing hot border. The decision coincided with an offer by mail for 20% off January orders from Austin's Swedish partner. My husband reminded me that we must do something about this border because of weeds and weedy perennials. So, I ordered Summer Song, Lady Emma Hamilton and Lady of Shalott for spring delivery. Other roses in this border are Brown Velvet, Princesse (Laperriere 1964), Sutter's Gold, Linnaeus, Mountain Music and Folksinger, a total mix of apricots, yellows and oranges plus the white Nevada. It will need lots of perennials to bridge the colours. The bed is backed by a small woodland with some wild roses in the same colour range, Austrian Copper and a yellow spinosissima called Maria Stuart, not an official name.

Some perennials we will keep are rudbeckias, oriental poppies, daylilies, doronicums, achilleas, helianthemums, perennial digitalis and primulas. This riot of colour is mainly a spring and autumn garden. We shall probably need sunglasses when we look at it even in late sunlight!

• lesmc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mariannese....this garden sounds lovely. The plan includes some beautiful roses and perennials. I look forward to putting on my sunglasses and taking a peak at all of your hard work! Lesley

• tank0412
    10 years ago

Good news.

• minhcuong0511
    8 years ago

Please Help:

'My Lady of Shalott is not floriferous. It's more than 1 year since i plant it (gallon size).

The Pot is 50cm diameter and i feed it regularly.

it has many bud but end up like the picture below, few of them grow to be a flower.

i live in vietnam, the temperature is 37-40 (cenlsius)

• nikthegreek
    8 years ago

Maybe if it matures more it will be able to hold on to more buds but I have to say not many roses (and even less Austins) tend to bloom under that heat. Is it that hot all year long or is it somewhat cooler during a wet season? You would expect the roses to bloom more during a cooler season. Also, try to hold down on the fertilizer a bit when temps are very high.

Your best bet with roses would be ones that have more genes in them carried from roses found in warm subtropical regions (like Teas, some Chinas, Gigantea hybrids and the like).

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

If your pot is only 50 cm diameter, it's too small for a large rose to grow in permanently. Try a larger pot. Diane

• minhcuong0511
    8 years ago

thank you so much for your advice, nikthegreek,

i gonna till it's more mature.

It's hot for 3/4 of the year so it's hard for roses.

i take your advice to look for roses with heat tolerance.

• minhcuong0511
    8 years ago

Thank you nanadoll