Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Safrano in Jan

jacqueline9CA
9 years ago

I love Safrano - here it starts blooming in Jan, and doesn't stop until sometime in Dec. I love the look of the blooms with last year's hips (no, I don't deadhead).

Jackie

Comments (18)

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Beautiful Jackie.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another pic of the entire bush -

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

January! Thank you for extending my rose season. -Carol

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Very nice! Mine has bloomed once in 2015 too

• odinthor
    9 years ago

Mine is eagerly blooming as well--I was admiring it this very morning. Some roses have a real personality; the personality of 'Safrano' is cheerful, friendly, egalitarian, ever good-natured. Now during cooler weather is when its buds are at their most beautiful, as the deeper coloring and tints of pink are most in evidence.

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    9 years ago

I LOVE blooms and hips together...with the old yellowing leaves and new plummy growth... beautiful!

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Lovely, Jackie!

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Such a lovely creamy color and quite the trooper!

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    9 years ago

So lovely!
    *sigh*
    Climate envy. ;-)

Steven

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Mine is blooming again. I enjoyed watching a bee busy gaining access on the petals today.

Sounds like Jackie is about to meet the pinapple rain express. Congrats!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    9 years ago

Winter blooms are joyful.
    Does Safrano have a perfume Jackie?
    Daisy

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Daisy - I just sniffed it and got nothing, but that did not surprise me as it is a tea rose.

Jackie

• tuderte
    9 years ago

I love your Safrano Jackie - can I ask how old it is, please?

My neighbour sent me a photo of my Safrano (still in a pot) which she took on the 4th January after it had been covered by snow for 2 days. Then the sun came out, melted all the snow and the two or three buds that were left on it started to open.

I'll be planting this as soon as I get back in early March - it's the rose I received as an own root 'Sombreuil' about 18 months ago - we finally decided it was Safrano because it appears almost identical to another own-root Safrano I received last June.

I believe (and hope) that they will eventually grow to a rather impressive size.

Tricia

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

I always forget about Safrano. I see that it is my loss! A lovely rose. Thanks for posting the picture.

• odinthor
    9 years ago

As to size, 'Safrano' can be something of a climber when it's of a mind to be. I've found that planting it in the proximity of a wall seems eventually to stimulate (from the reflected heat?) lengthy shoots which then start growing bushy when they've overtopped the wall. I had one which was adjacent to both a fence and a tree trunk; 'Safrano' grew up into the tree to a height of about ten or twelve feet. I've often pondered the fact that, despite the many thousands if not millions of specimens of 'Safrano' which have been grown, it has not sported a climber; but maybe that's because it already is nearly a climber.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine grows in partial shade after the street trees leaf out, which may be why it has remained a modest size. Tuderte - mine was planted sometime in the mid 1970s, so that would make it about 40 years old.

Jackie

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I love her delicate colors
    {{gwi:2143138}}