Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverkelt

David Austin Backlash... Well post your FAV Austin Pic here.

silverkelt
14 years ago

There seems to be some recent backlash on austin roses, I will not be so blind to believe they are perfect roses, but they do offer a very large selection and a few can be grown almost anywhere in this country.

Post some of your favorite pics here to help enable others =)....

Abraham Darby (nothing smells as great to me, not even some of my albas)

{{gwi:224100}}

Katherine Morely

{{gwi:224101}}

Anne Bolyne

{{gwi:224103}}

Crocus Rose

{{gwi:224105}}

{{gwi:224106}}

Sharifa Asma (another great fragrance)

{{gwi:224107}}

Geoff Hamilton (this one shatters rather quickly)

{{gwi:224108}}

Mary Rose (this one sports a very lovely striped one sometimes)

{{gwi:224109}}

Another of Katherine Morely

{{gwi:224111}}

LD Braithwaite

{{gwi:224114}}

Go ahead post yours! Great way to get through the winter doldrums!

Silverkelt

Comments (146)

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

An opened Happy Child showing the shallow cupped shape and neat petals:

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    8 years ago

Falstaff

William Shakespeare 2000

• jessbell1_zn7westtx
    7 years ago

Hello all! I wanted to revive this feed, I came across it in my Google search...funny it's been 2 years...that means my David Austin obsession is worse! I do have my Alnwick Hedge though!! It right next to where I park my car and the raspberry scent is heavenly!

• jessbell1_zn7westtx
    7 years ago

I searched down Pretty Jessica too. She was hard to find but so worth it...I bought 3!

• jessbell1_zn7westtx
    7 years ago

I'm working on Eden climbing...this is only second year and I got her in a tiny pint pot.

• jessbell1_zn7westtx
    7 years ago

Claire Austin has been piddley...these blooms finally are bigger.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    7 years ago

Jess , oh wow !! Where are you located ?( like not just zone 7) I officially need to kick my 3 year old Eden to the curb after seeing yours . Your roses are fantastic!!

does alnwick repeat a lot ?

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Jess - I love your Alnwick Rose hedge!!! I think I'm going to get rid of mine this year (give it to a friend). It had a wonderful raspberry fragrance the first year, and it's been absent ever since. Your hedge must give such a lovely, heady raspberry scent!! All of your roses look so luscious and amazing!! :)

Carol

• Ken Wilkinson
    7 years ago

David Austin roses love my climate. It doesn't make any difference if it is grafted on to Dr Huey, Fortuniana or own root, they grow like crazy. Here's a few that I grow.

Lady of Shalott

Molineux

LD Braithwaite

Munstead Wood

Scepter d' Isle

• rose_crazy_da
    7 years ago

Ken I never tire of seeing your Austin's they always look amazing

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Ken - when you are right, you are right!! They love growing in your yard - it's probably a lot to do with your contributions too. :) My fav is y our Sceptr'd Isle!

Clarion - Ooooh!!! I would love to walk by your roses! I would be spellbound!

Carol

• rose_crazy_da
    7 years ago

Clarion lovely roses and I especially like the smart looking dog, my favourite breed German shepherd .

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    7 years ago

Since this thread seems perennial, I might as well update it with my current favorite Austin:

Munstead Wood

Those dark velvet colors send me into a swoon! This Austin has other virtues also--but I always think color first.

Kate

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

I've planted a bunch of roses the past year and this year they are producing.

Darcey Bussell

Crown Princess Margarete

Golden Celebration

Carding Mill. I got this plant from Ken

I should have more this week

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Kate - oh come on!!!! So not fair!!! :) My Munstead Wood sucks. LOL Yours is beyond perfection - the color and velvetiness - swoon!!!

Buford - each rose is so lovely!!! I really love your Darcey Bussell!!! Which one of these roses has the best fragrance?

Carol

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

What happened to Andrea? I want to see her beautiful garden again after all these years.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

The photos on this thread are incredible, and the latest ones don't disappoint--Jessbell I love the way you've trained your climbers. Ken, you are right--your climate is perfect for Austins, and what an abundance of blooms. Kate, as usual, you show a stunning black red Munstead Wood, and so like velvet. Buford, each of your roses is luscious, but Crown Princess Margareta is particular beautiful. I want one. As summers asks, I'd love to see more of Andrea's roses. I still can't get over her earlier photos. Diane

Here are some favorites of mine.

Jude the Obscure

Young Lycidas

Evelyn

Brother Cadfael

Tamora

Munstead Wood

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

Carol, Golden Celebration has the best fragrance. Darcey doesn't have any at all.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    7 years ago

Oh, Diane, your roses always knock me flat--so floriferous and healthy and beautiful! Just love them!

Kate

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Oh, Diane!!!! Diane!!! Diane!!! There are not good enough words to describe your roses!!!!!! I cannot believe how many roses you have on JtO!!! I love the color of your YL - incredible!!! They're all fabulous!! Swoon!!!

Buford - Golden Celebration has a wonderful lemony scent. I had it years ago, but it started to grow backwards. Wish I could smell yours!

Carol

• ianna
    7 years ago

Im saddened that here in Ontario Canada, my supplier of Austins is no longer operational. And there are no company that has taken over selling Austins here.

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

iana - That's too bad. :( What a bummer.

Carol

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

Ianna, Doesn't DA roses in the U.S. ship to Canada up to a certain date?

• rose_crazy_da
    7 years ago

Ianna , try Sheridan( all over the city) and Vandermeer nursery in Ajax.. I will be going to Garden Gallery in Brampton to see what they have..and If you want to order on line try HORTICO has a nice selection and If you have the Mullah you can also order from David Austin directly . Just out of curiosity who was your supplier

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    7 years ago

@ianna - hortico carries david austin roses for bare root shipping. They are a great price.

I've also found austins at a number of garden centers. It's just sporadic. Where are you located? I'm in barrie & there are a few others in york region that have found austins.

@sheila - yes we can order online from austin. But by the time you do the exchange rate, shipping & I'm assuming customs or taxes. It gets very pricey fast. It was going to workout to over $75 per plant. If anyone knows how to get them cheaper, I'm in, lol! Hortico bare roots for austins were $18 canadian. I just was late getting in gear and they were sold out of the ones I really wanted.

Winchester cathedral

This guy is winter hardy. Blooms well for me & kept a very nice bushy shape.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

That's a pretty Winchester cathedral! Hotico is a great place to buy DAs, I order 3 shipment a year from them, 2 in the spring and 1 in the fall.

• rosecanadian
    7 years ago

Yes, that's an amazing Winchester!!! Wow!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

My good old standby, Potter and Moore, an early Austin that has been discontinued.

Bishop's Castle, also not exactly new, fragrant and a good rose for me

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Ooooh!!! Your Bishop's Castle has the most beautiful color and shape!!! Oh my!

Carol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    6 years ago

What beautiful pinks, Ingrid. Lush and gorgeous blooms. Diane

6 years ago

Thank you, Carol and Diane, I'm glad to have these two in my garden.

• Ann9BNCalif
    6 years ago

Hi Ingrid - I just planted a Bishop's Castle from Heirloom about a month ago. It's one of the few roses that has blackspot due to all our rain. Do you have any disease problems with this rose?

Thank you,

Ann

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    6 years ago

I have a few more to add. I've posted these in other threads but they are nice and appropriate to add here.

Othello

Benjamin Britten

Teasing Georgia

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Othello is enough to break my heart - so gorgeous!!! TG is wonderful too. :)

Carol

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I love Othello!I It almost looks like a quartered bloom. Is it usually that shape? I am looking to add more quartered shaped roses to my garden. I just got WS2k last week.

Anyone know what other DA roses have quartered blooms?

6 years ago

Ann, you may have more rain which might explain your blackspot. Right now I have mildew on both of my Bishop's Castle bushes but that will go away when it gets warmer. I don't recall their ever having blackspot. It's possible yours will outgrow it since a lot of young roses are more susceptible to disease but then shake it off when they mature.

• Ann9BNCalif
    6 years ago

Thanks Ingrid! Appreciate the info and advice! BC is starting to put out new growth and hopefully the healthy leaves will start to outnumber the spotted ones.

Ann

• Bozanfè Oungan
    6 years ago

Hey guys! ;) I had to break down and post some of mine... my garden's been going nuts this spring

Graham Thomas

Princess Alexandra of Kent

The Alnwick Rose (My GOD the scent on this one knocks me flat!)

(another Alnwick blossom)

Lady of Shalott (Lord how I wish this one had a stronger scent!)

The Poet's Wife

Wollerton Old Hall

Another Lady of Shalott

More Poet's Wife

Abraham Darby (and my dirty hands)

• Bozanfè Oungan
    6 years ago

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

More Lady of Shalott

Teasing Georgia

Teasing Georgia

Abraham Darby, fast on his way towards becoming my favorite rose

• HalloBlondie-zone5a
    6 years ago

@bozanfe - those are great pics! You are obviously an austin fan.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    6 years ago

Just so gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing your roses with us :)

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Lovely roses!!! My favs are Wollerton Old Hall - that rose is soooo romantic looking!!!; Teasing Georgia (what a perfect shape); and Lady of Shallott!! Scrumptious!!

Carol

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Tess is such a good rose. It was on the bush 6 days and just kept getting poofier and poofier but held together. Its been a dry heat and in the 90's this past week plus uber smoky from the wildfires and literally 'raining' ash some days. Gotta love Tess!

Some others doing well in the wicked heat

TIMF

Litchfield Angel

Jude the Obscure...I swear I couldnt get enough pics of him the other day!!

He is sooo ~Dreamy~ I'm obsessed with the way the buds look half open. I could get lost in those buds for hours!

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    6 years ago

Huntington Rose

Carding Mill

• Roxana *** ZN 5 Indianapolis IN ***
    6 years ago

So sad not to see any heritages here :( mine are not open yet

• jessbell1_zn7westtx
    6 years ago

@https://www.houzz.com/user/lilyfinch I'm in dry west Texas so I pay lots of $ for water, haha. We have a DA in Tyler, TX so I order too much! I captured a better shot of my Alnwick hedge. I'm in love!

• jessbell1_zn7westtx
    6 years ago

My newbie this year is Desdemona, it's already blooming!

• rosecanadian
    6 years ago

Jess - your hedge of Alnwick roses is gorgeous!! It made me decide to give mine another year (it's 3rd). Wow!!

Desertgarden - I love the color and shape of your Huntington Rose!!!

Sultry -your JtO is, indeed, dreamy!! I love it!

Carol

6 years ago

Thank you. I think it is getting better every year :)