Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abqconiglio

non-Austin English roses

As I'm preparing my orders for this year, I'm curious: what English style NON-Austin roses do you like and do well for you? I like the look of the Austins, but does he have the monopoly on old fashioned (i.e. quartered) flowers with graceful habit and fragrance? I'm trying a bunch of Austins this year that some of you suggested (Glamis Castle, Falstaff, Alnwick Castle) but also looking at other breeder's roses. I'm lovin' the look of Sonia Rykiel.

Here's a shot of WS2K. Which only has a flower or two after its spring flush. Here's what it looked like before it fried in the sun last May. The hybrid teas in the neighborhood have a heavy fall flush. Too bad I don't like hybrid teas.

Comments (30)

• fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have a rose out of the 'Modern Classic' range, St Ethelburga, which is a nice rose, scented, frilly, and tough as nails - I'm embarrassed to admit I left it in a wholly inadeqate pot last year and she still bloomed her socks off. Will be finding her a border spot this year I think.
    Beales have a 50% off offer on three of their climbers at the moment, and I admit I'm very tempted - I really like Clarence House and Highgrove is also gardenworthy, not 100% sold on Sir Paul Smith though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpmefind page for St Ethelburga

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

..I expect you'd rather hear from fellow American gardeners on this, but one that is similar to Austin's but isn't one of theirs, and is available in the States, is 'Octavia Hill'... it's been noted on this forum before if you do a search...
    ...I think it's rather nice,.. it caught my eye in a garden here in England not long ago, and I've planted two...

..just a suggestion...see what you think... should be available from Rogue Valley or Roses Unlimited....

Here is a link that might be useful: Octavia Hill on HMF

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

What about some of the hardeier, fullet flowered teas?
    I don't really get the hype around DAs (although some are wonderful) when roses like mrs b r cant, mme Berkeley and even SdlM or buff beauty already exist.
    what about Dr Grill? A climber like Sombreuil?

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

I don't have a good picture but " Colette " is lovely ! I just planted her last year , one on either side of my gate.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FDUK - I've never heard of 'Modern Classic' roses, something for me to look into! St. Ethelburga (what a name!) looks just about right up my alley. Clarence House and Highgrove look great. I wonder if they are available in the US?

Marlorena - Octavia Hill looks beautiful!Rogue Valley Roses has it listed, but "not available." I'll have to put it on my wish list.

adamharbeck - Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. Unfortunately my nose can not detect any scent from Mrs. BR Cant, and she barely survives the winter here, so I removed her. SdlM smells awful to me (yep, beer and bread, not much rose), and Buff Beauty barely blooms in the local rose garden. I wish I could smell the teas! I've been eying Sombreuil for some time now - I may need to find a space for it.

lilyfinch - yes, I think Colette is beautiful also. More pink in my climate than the photos, but I'm not into orange anyway. Thanks for the reminder.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

nosometer, I have a very hard time smelling teas except Duchesse de Brabant and her sport, Mme. Joseph Schwartz. However, my fairly new Mlle. de Sombreuil does have a lovely scent after only a year. It's also the fastest-growing tea I've ever had, with the most buds in its first year.

I have to agree about the scent of SdlM. She's my best rose but the smell does not delight me.

Ingrid

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

I like the form of SdlM, but the scent of Catherine Mermet puts it in the shade. Much stronger and sweeter. And no balling worries. Definitely getting more of her.

• edenh
    9 years ago

Hi
    I just love the doubled and the quartered look. That is the only reason why I would buy the Austin knowing they are not going to do well in my area. The only doubled rose I have is clothilde soupert, she is a real workhorse and easy to root. Right now I have about a dozen "teen sized" Clothildes, all from 1 mama plant.

• edenh
    9 years ago

To continue..
    My other fave is the fawn (or faun?). She is very healthy, vigorous and floriferous. The flowers do not ball and last many days. It is never without flowers. The leaves are dark and glossy. It is a groundcover, so very spready indeed.The only fault I could find is that I am not able to root her yet. I am looking for a doubled yellow that is short and disease-resistant ,suitable for hot/humid Florida weather.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for more beautiful options. I wonder if I could smell Duchesse de Brabant or Catherine Mermet? I have sniffed Lady Hillingdon, and it is up there as one of the best rose fragrances ever. I'd forgotten about Clothilde Soupert. What a great option. Does Fawn have a scent?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Just found these articles from the ARS web page.

English Roses before David Austin:
    http://www.rose.org/rose-care-articles/english-roses-before-david-austin/

Shrub roses:
    http://www.rose.org/rose-care-articles/arent-all-roses-shrubs/

and here's a list of all the articles:
    http://www.rose.org/rose-care-articles/

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Search "Romantica" on the rose websites you are looking at and you might find some more that you like.

I have no idea what is going to work with your weather/temps, sorry

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

I can't believe I forgot to suggest Guillot roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Boscue

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

I love sonia r but here by Disneyland she needs plenty of water. Also, she likes to send long canes low and sideways. I tie them up to a trellis. I think it's worth the extra work but a rose that is similar but blooms more is Abraham Darby. The French roses seem to like warm climates better than the English roses. Some newer Kordes roses are old fashioned looking but have been hit and miss here. Some of them bloom all the time and some are behaving like many English roses and acting like your WS2000.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Besides the other "modern reproductions", you'll find similar flower forms among some of the older Floribundas and Hybrid Teas, and even some of the Tea-bred Polyanthas. Just off the top of my head, these roses have a bit of an "English" look:

Aunt Margy's Rose
    Chinatown (used by Austin in his breeding)
    Clotilde Soupert
    Geranium (very modern color, however)
    Gruss an Aachen
    Moonsprite
    Octavia Hill
    Pink Soupert
    September Morn
    White Gold

:-)

~Christopher

Original Author
    9 years ago

How could I have forgotten Gruss an Aachen?!!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I agree that a lot of other breeders are doing essentially modern reproductions of older rose forms, though they may not call them this. The Renaissance series from Meilland is a favorite of mine, and I agree that Guillot and Massad and Kordes have some roses to qualify, though they are less likely to be scented very much. If you want a full Austin-like flower and to die for scent, look at Barcelona/Francis Dubreuil though. All of these are very hardy and healthy in my zone 5 yard, and pretty reliable rebloomers. Here are some photos to tempt you:

Bonita Renaissance

{{gwi:301408}}

Celeb

{{gwi:320870}}

Champagne Moment (Kordes)

{{gwi:346144}}

Countess Celeste (Kordes)

{{gwi:348214}}

Cream Flower Circus (Kordes)

{{gwi:2120314}}

Elizabeth Stuart

{{gwi:2120315}}

Floral Fairy Tale

{{gwi:311210}}

Francis Dubreuil

{{gwi:2120316}}

Grand Duc Henri

{{gwi:350916}}

Heaven on Earth

{{gwi:2120317}}

Laura (Clements)

{{gwi:2120318}}

Leonardo da Vinci

{{gwi:2120319}}

Of course, if you want an antique look it doesn't get any better in my yard than a true antique like Madame Isaac Periere (and the fragrance is to die for)

{{gwi:304945}}

{{gwi:2120320}}

Michelangelo

{{gwi:320878}}

For a climber, Nahema is tough as nails and has an Austin look, as do some other Delbard roses

{{gwi:2120321}}

Paul Bocuse

{{gwi:2120322}}

You'd mentioned Sonia Rykiel

{{gwi:350410}}

St. Elizabeth of Hungary is a tough and largely under-appreciated mauve that I really like

{{gwi:350330}}

Even a very modern Easy Elegance rose, Sweet Fragrance, has what I would call an Austin look - sadly I don't actually detect a fragrance from it, but I'm not a good judge of this in general

{{gwi:2120323}}

Volunteer

{{gwi:2120324}}

And frankly, I think Versigny out-Austins the Austins

{{gwi:301409}}

Just some examples to get you thinking!

Cynthia

• titian1 10b Sydney
    9 years ago

Beautiful roses - I'm so envious!

Trish.

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Beautiful roses, Nippstress.
    Madame Isaac Pereire, any tips?

• titian1 10b Sydney
    9 years ago

Oh, and Sebastion Kneipp and Summer Memories. Both white blends, both healthy.

Trish.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh yes, so many very tempting roses, Nipstress. I think that Madame Isaac Pereire is just about the quintessential old fashioned rose to me. I just planted it last year and it is still tiny, but it would be interested to just fill my garden with the Madame. June bloom on a first year plant.

Original Author
    9 years ago

...and then there's Bolero. Also just planted last year. Very fragrant, so far short and stocky with glossy leaves.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Mauvegirl - the only tip I've heard about Mme. Isaac Periere is to give her a lot of winter chill, which obviously is tricky for you. However if nosometer can grow it so well in Albuquerque (great shot!) it may be happy for you. I think in California it mildews, but in dry Texas that shouldn't be a problem. You might give her a little afternoon shade if you have it, but she's too wonderful and toe-curling fantastic a fragrance not to try her.

Glad you folks liked the pictures - there are a lot of options!

Cynthia

• rev_roses
    9 years ago

I have been away from the list and rose gardening for a year and a half and just this past week moved 24 roses to our new home (the move being the reason I was away from gardening). So first it is good to be back.

I think that many of Paul Barden's roses try to incorporate many of the better aspects of the Austin's. Many of his roses include an English Rose here or there. There are also some of the Ralph Moore's roses that do the same and clearly John Clements gave this effort a good go. I particularly like Clements rose Braveheart. Below is a link to my blog entry on the Paul Barden Roses I Grow with some nice pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Barden Roses I Grow

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

The pictures here are absolutely mouth-watering, not to mention that this is such an informative thread.

Cynthia, you have so many roses that are unfamiliar or familiar in name only, but the one thing they have in common is their beauty. St. Elizabeth of Hungary and Nahema especially appeal to me. I hope you'll post many pictures of your garden this spring.

Ingrid

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

I have Madame Isaac Pereire, tall, green, but seldom blooms.
    We've had a very good amount of rain this winter.
    It does get cold here but doesn't last very long. This will be her 3rd or 4th year in my garden. I know she will bloom profusely this year.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Just found this thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: 'English' roses that are not by David Austin.

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

I'm just glad I found this place. Took about five minutes .. closer to ten, actually.

• SoFL Rose z10
    9 years ago

The delbards are amazing, but I think they need a lot of heat to perform well. Dames de chennonceau does great for me. I have 3 of them. Also check out duchess de Brabant, bolero, nahema (amazing fragrance) , yves paigette, comtess de Provence (liv Tyler) and someone asked for a nice yellow? Try golden Buddha (Paul Barden). Some of the kordes posted above look beautiful. Do they have fragrance?