Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

Jubilee Celebration & Queen of Sweden

seil zone 6b MI
9 years ago

I got a little flyer in the mail from David Austins with a 25% off coupon in it. I've decided now is the time to get those pinks I've wanted for some time. In looking it over I picked out Queen of Sweden as one I'd like. I gave the flyer to my brother and told him to pick his favorite. He likes the color of Jubilee Celebration. So I'm thinking of getting those two. I'd appreciate any information any one has on them. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you, Cynthia! I'll have to find a protected spot for Jubilee.

• damask55linen
    9 years ago

Seil-
    You are so fortunate to have a brother to rose hunt with.
    Somewhere in my readings there was a remark that Jubilee Celebration's coloring was like no other. I take note when there is something extraordinary since I can't have them all.
    My David Austin catalog is dog eared, marked and highlighted
    with all the fragrance award winners.
    I'm thinking of Munstead wood and Strawberry Hill...

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Seil, I grow both, and both have their virtues--and limitations.

Queen of Sweden is a lovely soft mist of pale pink (with apricot highlights) when it is in bloom, but mine is not that good on re-bloom. Perhaps it just gets too hot here in Kansas in July-August. A lot of my roses slow down then. It has above average BS resistance. Note its size/shape--taller and narrow, very up-right looking.

Jubilee Celebration has some of the loveliest blooms in my garden, but my bush (now about 7 years old) is quite a wimp and I wonder every year if it is going to make it--but it always does. I should add, however, that I have seen other posts on this forum where the gardener did not seem to have that problem with his/her JC--so maybe mine is a fluke. JC is not a disease-magnet, by any means, but it does have some low-grade BS problems periodically. The blooms are not very long-lasting and do suffer from some fading, but otherwise like I said, the blooms are truly lovely.

Enjoy!

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Damask! Yep, I'm lucky he indulges my habit, lol! I often let him pick out ones he likes to keep him involved. After all he does live here too.

Thank you, Kate! We're in similar zones, if not climates, so I do appreciate your input. You do get hotter and drier than I do in the summer so maybe that will effect them differently.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

JC is not overly vigorous even here, but it's a very steady bloomer. I wish it had more foliage. Similar in overall color--the flower shape is different--is 'Christopher Marlowe', which is quite a tough rose, if you want something with a little more (but not too much) vigor. 'The Endeavour' is also in the same color class as JC, but it's a real black spotter, even here where roses rarely get much in the way of black spot.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, Hoov! I'll check out CM but I'm in black spot central so I think I'll steer clear of The Endeavor. If it black spots for you it'll be a mess here, lol!

• daisyhair
    9 years ago

I can comment on Queen of Sweden.

I have had her two years in a 24" pot in my back yard. She has done really well in the pot. I've been trying to decide exactly where to plant her, moving the pot around thru the year.

She gets maybe 4' in my pot and had blooms right away. I would not say she's a crazy abundant bloomer for me but I'm very new still at rose gardening.

I love her. She has great fragrance for me too but all my D.A.'s do here!

I can also note that the cut flowers really last!

Now to just get her in the ground.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

The Endeavour's done very well through hot humid summers & freeze-thaw winters for 8 years now in central VA, where blackspot pressure is very high. Planted by the steps of the front porch, this rose catches my eye multiple times a day. Very rarely over the years have I seen a single leaf beginning to spot, stripped & trashed the entire leaflet. That's pretty much it for fungal control in this no spray garden, so have to agree with Austin's assessment of "very healthy" on this one in regard to blackspot in this garden. Mildew is an occasional fleeting problem here solved with plain water hose spray, and I've not seen this rose affected.

I'm still enchanted by this rose in every way. Very willing to bloom in rapid repeat with snap deadheading, large old style flowers up to 5", mostly in clusters, that open slowly as they expand, lasting in full bloom a week in heat & longer in cool, with other buds opening in staggered sprays, so by the time the first flush is waning, the next is right behind. Blooms begin warm salmon pink with amber undertones, transforming daily with infusions of apricot & peach till finally overlaid with dusty lavender. The petals show a silky sheen & the flowers are exquisite, as is the deeply satisfying old rose & fruit salad complex perfume. This rose is grafted, yet shows a graceful slightly arching vase shape 3' high & wide. An own root twin is scheduled to arrive this Spring & take its place at the other side of the steps. Will be the only Austin duplicate here, an indication of how highly I value this rose. A heart-throbber!

Seldom take the camera to the garden, so unfortunately have no pics to share. All of your photos convinced me to rectify that this year! Marina's portraits at HMF capture the beauty of this rose before it attains a blend of hues.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marina's The Endeavour photos

This post was edited by vasue on Sun, Jan 18, 15 at 13:00

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH