Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hybrid Albas?

Posted by JoshTx 8a (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 16:41

I've seen many mentions of Hybrid Chinas that were derived from Gallica/China crosses. Mr. Lowery of Vintage was a big fan of them. However I am curious if there are any such crosses using Albas? I've always admired the Albas, with their ethereal blooms and magical grace. However due to my zoning I seriously doubt they would live here. An Alba hybrid may be the closest thing I could grow while I reside in Texas, but I'm not even sure it's a possibility genetically.

Thanks!

Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hybrid Albas?

Albas are much more difficult to breed with than gallicas. So there aren't nearly as many.

One hybrid alba you should probably try is Madame Plantier.

o

Gallica,

HMF has Mme. Plantier listed as a cross between R. Damascena 'Mill.' X R. Moschata 'Herm.'

Would that truly count as an Alba Hybrid?

Josh

o

There are sites besides HMF.

Google is your friend.

This is the first I've heard of Madame Plantier as a Damask hybrid. Seriously, the more usual listing replaces the R. damascena with R. alba.

o

Several Austen roses are alba hybrids.

Great write-up by Rick here: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roses/msg100002585603.html

I know no information to share on my own, but I've had this thread bookmarked for a long time :D

Good luck! I adore albas...there's just something about the blue-green leaves that I find really appealing.

Cheers!
~Anika

o

• Posted by AquaEyes 7 New Brunswick, NJ (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 14:18

The oldest references call 'Mme Plantier' a Hybrid China or Hybrid Noisette. In-person, I see (and smell) recent 'R. moschata' ancestry in there somewhere.

'Mme Plantier' is listed as being triploid, which pretty much negates the possibility of it being an Alba hybrid. Owing to their 'R. canina' ancestry, Albas breed with unbalanced meiosis. If an Alba was the pollen parent and a Noisette or 'R. moschata' was the seed parent, the resulting rose would be diploid. If the reverse parentage occurred, the result would probably be pentaploid or hexaploid, like many Albas -- but at least tetraploid. A triploid once-blooming 'Mme Plantier' suggests one non-Alba tetraploid parent and (based on the rose's appearance) one Noisette or other 'R. moschata' derived diploid parent.

I think the Alba attribute got attached simply because it's a once-blooming fragrant white-flowered rose that didn't easily fit into other European OGR classes -- but it doesn't really look or grow like the other Albas, which all show some 'R. canina' characteristics.

:-)

~Christopher

o

The alba hybrids by the German hybridizer Rolf Sievers, creator of the Blush series come to mind. They are bred with a mixture of old-fashioned and Kordesii roses. A friend of mine, Helena Verghese Borg, grows most of the Blush roses and they are all lovely. I think I like Tender Blush the best. She's put up several photos on HMF of her Blush roses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here