Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is Devoniensis not more popular?

Posted by malcolm_manners 9b C. Fla. (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 16:53

I'm more and more impressed with 'Devoniensis' in the FSC garden. It makes huge sprays of big Tea flowers, pale pink, fading to white, in warm weather, and a nice lemon yellow in chilly weather. I don't know of another Tea rose that makes so many flowers in so little space. We grow the shrub form and the climbing form. It's the shrub that is so impressive just now. So I'm wondering why it is no more popular than it is. It seems to be one of the "minor" Teas, seldom seen in gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo showing pink and yellow flowers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is Devoniensis not more popular?

Thank you Malcolm. I've been on the lookout for a good tea since I moved up here. Something very few people have.

o

It's popular with me, Malcolm, but it is pretty slow growing up here. I don't get a fragrance and I've wondered if that's because of the cool temperatures. But it has been blooming some, a little more every year.

It died back to the roots my first winter but it came back and has grown some every year. I read that it takes eight years to mature; maybe it's slowness to mature is discouraging? In the Florida heat does it take that long to 'grow up'?

o

Perhaps the cultivars that most of us have grown are weak. I had climbing Devoniensis and it grew in line with expectations of other climbing tea roses.

I also had not-climbing Devoniensis and it lived to disappoint. I never got good growth and it was all but impossible to get stems large enough to be called canes. This happened in a bed in which subsequent roses have thrived with a lot less tender loving rose care.

o

Interesting! Ours is the shrub sport of Ruth Knopf's climbing find in Charleston, "Tradd Street Yellow." The shrub is not a big bush, compared to other Teas, but the two in our new garden are pushing 5 feet tall by 4 wide, at well under one year old. And I was lamenting, today, that most of the canes are simply too thick to make good budwood. So I'd call it vigorous; just not huge-growing.

o

Dr. Manners,

I will admit that the only reason I haven't tried to grow it is because of it's reputation as slow-growing. I didn't think I could give it enough TLC to get it prepared for the cemetery in enough time.

Josh

o

Mine is growing very slowly in my warm to hot dry climate, so I wonder if heat combined with humidity is the secret to success. It may also be that Malcolm's rose has wonderful soil, which mine certainly doesn't. I'm trying to improve the soil and keep it well-watered and hope to have some nice flowers from it eventually.

Ingrid

o

Our native soil is pretty bad (ancient beach sand -- at least it drains well!) but we do amend it with a lot of organic matter when planting. One thing to consider -- we grow this rose, like nearly all of our roses, grafted to 'Fortuniana' roots, which promotes vigor in most varieties. Perhaps it doesn't have that vigor on its own roots or on other grafted root systems? I'm guessing.

o

Devoniensis is a very good and strong grower on Vancouver Island. Good fragrance and only gets BS towards the fall. I sent budwood to Palatine Roses in Ontario. They have it on their website this year, but alas, they are sold out.

o

I had it in CA. It did not begin to bloom well until about the fourth year after I had planted it. It does seem to take a while.

o

Now I'm wondering, Lynette -- are there two different versions of 'Devoniensis' out there, or is your climate so different from mine that your photo looks like an entirely different rose? I've only seen it in the SE US and California, but they always seem the same -- not the very high petal count and tight center that your pic shows. If they do that in cooler weather, I'm hoping for more cooler weather!

o

• Posted by catspa NoCA Z9 Sunset 14 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 22:10

Own-root and shrub (from Vintage) grew well enough here (so-so clay-gravel soil): 4'x 4' at 3 years in the ground, with every indication that it was going larger. I didn't have a good spot for a tea as large as it appeared it would be, so though the blooms were nice, if a little infrequent (was young) and light-weight, it got culled. In its original location, without morning sun, it got terrible PM; moving it to a morning-sun position fixed that. I would definitely grow it if I had more room.

The climbing version on the front fence at Vintage's old retail store in Sebastopol was spectacular.

o

I imported mine from Ashdown Roses in the USA. I get the impression it does stay closed longer because of the cooler summers.

o

I considered it but I was put off when I read that it can be a PM magnet. Is somebody growing it without much problem in a PM pressure area?
Nik

o

I have a two year old (I think, could be three) own root Cl Devoniensis in my garden. This is a fairly high PM pressure area. So far it has not had PM. While it is growing slowly, it is growing. I have high hopes for this rose, but I will know more in a couple years. I forget where I got it, but I remember being told that it was a very good clone.

Rosefolly

o

It's on my list! Love Devoniensis!!

I don't really live in tea rose paradise anymore, but I'm growing a few in spite of PDX's wetness and cloudcover. A surprise: Vintage's Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux is thriving. Very little balling or disease, and it's only a young lad. Further tea rose experiments to follow, I'm sure.

Lynette, since your Devoniensis came from Ashdown, I'm guessing it's own-root. Am I correct? My grafted roses are on Dr. Huey. I'm not sure how a Devoniensis on Fortuniana stock would fare in my slightly acid, winter wet clay.

Harborrose, since I live just south of you, I may find Devoniensis to be a very slow grower, too. I'm thinking of it as a pot rose for as long as it tolerates the cramped quarters. Where did you purchase yours?

Carol

This post was edited by PortlandMysteryRose on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 14:22

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 14:41

I wish I could say nice things abt. my Cl. Devoniensis, from FSC, but I am disappointed..it has certainly grown and grown but has produced only a few blooms, maybe half a dozen in the 2+ years in the ground, they are very fragrant, but I am considering SP-ing it and putting something there that will bloom and take less real-estate! sally

o

Yes, my Devoniensis is on own root and was planted in sandy soil. However for the last two years has been in clay soil and has done much better. It is against a house and so gets some shelter. Never had any dieback in the winter.

o

Luanne bought a cl. Devoniensi on rootstock from Ashdown years ago, and she grows it as an immense free standing shrub.
She found a couple of Jehovahs witnesses standing by it, spell bound last spring, flabbergasted by its beauty in full bloom.

I wish I wish I wish I had one on rootstock, otherwise the shrub form takes a while to reach a mature size.
a wonder of a rose. My favorite white blend Tea, for sheer voluptuous beauty.
Lux.

o

I have it, own root, and it has been a pretty slow grower. So far it hasn't bloomed much, but when it does, it is wonderful. My bush is tall, maybe 4-5 feet, but not very wide. I coddle it because it is a tea and I love teas and the blooms are so beautiful and fragrant. It is one of my favorites.

o

Mine is an own root and is slowly getting larger. I enjoy it and don't mind letting it go at its own pace. Hopefully, I'll live to see a 50 year old plant one day. I'm glad yours is giving you so much joy Dr. Manners.

o

I avoided propagating Devoniensis when I propagated roses as a volunteer at The Huntington years ago due to the chronic mildew it constantly suffered in that garden. The one I tried in Newhall suffered the same issues and that level of heat and sun frequently prevented the flowers from opening well. It looks beautiful in the photos above. It's neat to see it can be happy elsewhere. It simply never was here. Kim

o

I have the climber but lost the tea shrub when I lost so many noisettes a few years ago. I adore my Devoniensis climber. Nothing smells or looks any better and my neighbor loves it in her trees!!!

o

saldut, 2+ years in the ground for any climber is not enough to show you what it can do. Climbers generally take at least three years to begin to reach their potential. If you can give it another year it might reward you with many more blooms.

Ingrid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here