Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Haul

Posted by thonotorose FL 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 17:00

Slipped over to Lakeland this morning for the Florida Southern College Rose sale. This sale funded a trip for students and the trip is for an antique rose garden.

I am so sorry I am not clearer on this! I gave my Central Florida Heritage Rose Society newsletter to another addict there.

As you will surely understand, I determined that I would get only two fort grafted beauties and head for home. Luckily, they took checks.

Mrs. B R Cant
Temple Musk
Mary Washington
Bermuda's Kathleen
Tausendshon
Brightside Cream
Flamingo Gardens Tea
Belinda's Dream
La Vesuve

What a thrill. Several were bands, so not so bad,... right? And after ten years of planting roses here, I am finally going to get rid of a few dogs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Haul

Oh, I totally forgot! We're in the middle of a big refurbishing project--refinishing wood floors, painting, and remodeling a bathroom. I was too exhausted to think the last few days. Boo-hoo, my loss.

o

Just to clarify - it was a fund raiser to support sending a student group to New York to work with the Heritage Rose District of New York, planting roses in Harlem, and (we hope) conducting some workshops there for local student groups and perhaps others, on rose propagation. Thanks to everyone who came by and got some roses!
Malcolm

o

Here is a nice article.

Here is a link that might be useful: More information about the event

o

Ohhh, I forgot!!! I was excavating Mme Abel Chatenay yesterday (and today) so had digging on my mind - not new roses. Darn! I was looking forward to it, too. So glad you got all those wonderful roses. What a haul.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

o

I think you've picked some pretty marvelous roses. I have four of them and love them all (Belinda's Dream, Le Vesuve, Bermuda Kathleen and Mrs. B.R. Cant).

Ingrid

o

I wish all buying/selling were so beneficial. Malcolm, I hope the students have a great trip! Thenotorose, congratulations on your new roses!

o

Thanks All,

I am just tickled though I do now have the hangover after the party. Where shall they go? The eternal question of the group.

Mary W, Le Vesuve and Temple musk have buds and it has been a very warm winter here, so I shall meet them soon.

Veronica

o

Which roses are you getting rid of? I've thought about Mary Washington a lot of times; good luck with all of your new treasures.

o

The ones slated for removal include The Herbalist, Marchesa Boccella, Bubblebath and that striped bourbon which has been here for 8 years and I have never seen even one bloom.

Oh yes.. I have trimmed back Marechal Niel to one long cane in the hope that he will die and I won't have to move him to the south end of the yard. Though beautiful, the bloom is stingy and the hooky thorns are vicious.

That's my short list. I have yet to take a garden walk while I am steeled with this (new-to-me) resolve.

Thank you for the best wishes. I will let you know about Martha when I have more info.

Veronica

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 18:26

Ah yes, the morning after and the "where am I going to put them all" hangover, lol! Been there, done that! But in the end, some how, we do manaage to find places for them. Good luck with all your projects!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here