Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashrosetx

Moving a rose - cut canes back ?

ashrosetx
9 years ago

I need to move a well established Ducher to make room for Mrs BR Cant, that just arrived from Chamblee's.
Some websites say I should cut the canes back quite a bit when I move the rose ? Except for an occasional trim, I have never pruned my roses ( all OGRs). I am a little nervous doing this to the Ducher. It would be such a waste if he survived the epic 2011 drought in Texas, only to be killed by my stupidity.

advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Asha

Comments (8)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

When you dig up the rose to transplant it, the roots will be damaged, and of course the root ball you are able to dig up will not be all of the roots. So, the remaining roots will not be able to support the current amount of top growth, and if you do not cut back the top growth A LOT (like to 2 feet high - the idea is to match the amount of top growth to the size of the remaining root ball), the rose will die.

After you replant it, make sure that it has a lot of water (because the roots are damaged, and they will need a while to grow back). Do not feed it until you see new top growth. Do not be surprised if you do not see new top growth for a while - the rose will first be growing back its roots before it tries to put on any more top growth. Then, when it has the amount of roots it is happy with, it will start growing above the soil, and it should be fine.

Jackie

• ashrosetx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jackie. That makes sense.
    Asha

• subk3
    9 years ago

I get that you have and imbalance between the size of the newly pruned roots and the size of the bush those roots must support, but I keep hearing over and over that "the rose stores energy in the canes." I would understand if you defoliated it because of the energy requirement of the leaves, but I don't understand why you want to cut the canes and the stored energy in them. I especially don't understand the advise for areas of the country that has some winter season and the moving happens while roses are dormant.

Can someone explain?

• rev_roses
    9 years ago

I recently moved 24 roses about 100 miles to our new home. Moving your rose now, in winter, is your first right decision. I trimmed my roses back quite a bit because I was not going to move any soil with the roots and I wanted to making them easier to transport.

If you are moving your rose across the yard and you are able to move a nice root ball with soil and you are willing to deal with longer canes and thorns then you don't have to trim it back as much. I've done it many times. Just prepare your new hole first and have the hose and wheelbarrow ready to go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Dirt Roses

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

subk3 - the basic reason is that roses need water to stay alive, and if the roots are unable to supply it, the rose will die, no matter how much energy they have stored in their canes. Just like people will die from no water no matter how much energy they have stored in fat. Of course, I am talking about when the climate is not frozen, and the roses are not in hibernation (ours never do that here).

Of course it is possible, if you are careful, and keep the rose hydrated constantly, to avoid having to cut it back as far. I just find it easier to dig them up and move them if they are cut back first, and also it avoids the problem of drying out. They rebound quite well after a rest in their new place to grow roots, and it does not hurt them to use the safer method.

Jackie

• rev_roses
    9 years ago

Jackie is right. If you want the safest method plan on cutting it back before you move it.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

I am going to move some roses now to prepare for some stonework and the extension of a deck in about 6 weeks. I want to dig and repot them now, while still dormant. I am 2 hours from Houston, and there is still a chance that we will get freezing weather in the next month. I would have no problem pruning them back before the move it we weren't expecting more freezing weather. My question is - if they are cut back now, then we get some freezes - will those canes get dieback - and would it be best to leave more than I normally would in warmer weather to compensate for that dieback, or should I just take my chances and prune hard anyway?
    Thanks......Judith

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

I completely agree with Jackie, and for exactly the reasons she states so clearly.

Rosefolly

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH