Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llink2

Blush Noisette or Climbing Pinkie?

llink2
15 years ago

I am trying to decide between these two and would appreciate your thoughts. The rose/s will be at the back of a bed, climbing up onto a porch rail. The area is not that big - the top of the porch rail is probably six feet above the ground, and the bed is about 15 feet wide. Disease resistance is important, because I don't like fussy plants. Relative thornlessness also is important. The bed faces south/south east, and gets lots of sun. The soil is clay (it's Georgia) but is being improved as we speak.

Comments (9)

• smcmullen
    15 years ago

I bought a Climbing Pinkie last September from ARE, and within two weeks of planting, it had started growing and got a couple of little blooms. It's on the south side (I'm trying to cover a 6' chain link fence), and so far looks good. I'll let you know when it gets a chance to show its stuff!

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

There is a Climbing Pinkie & a Blush Noisette growing here in a garden maintained by the local school district. Both are mature plants. Both are really healthy looking in this particular garden ALL THE TIME. In fact, I'd say those two are the happiest looking roses in this garden of dozens of old roses. The Climbing Pinkie there looks like a climbing rose, but the Blush Noisette is much more of a shrub; its canes are not nearly as long. The Blush Noisette is about 5 feet tall and probably 6 feet wide. My mom also had a mature climbing pinkie and it's huge, similar to the one at this local garden. She grows it as a climber. In the spring and fall, it stops traffic with its heavy production of small medium pink blooms. FYI, the bloom color of Blush Noisette is a lot softer, as its name might suggest. In my opinion, Blush Noisette has a lot of old rose charm, but climbing Pinkie sure is a good performer also. Though choice between these two jewels, but their plant habits are nothing alike.

Randy

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

I should add that Climbing Pinkie is a EarthKind Rose (Texas A&M sponsored testing program), and based upon my mom's specimen and the one at the local garden ... it is a well-deserved honor.

Randy

• jerijen
    15 years ago

We grow Blush Noisette here, and it is a nice big round ball of a shrub.

Jeri

• llink2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for your helpful comments. I am curious about the comments suggesting that Blush Noisette grows more as a shrub...the info I found identified it as a moderate climber. But if it doesn't in fact grow that way, that may be a deal breaker for me.

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

I remembered a pic I saw of Blush Noisette posted by OldBlush from last fall so I went and found the posting. Scroll down close to the end and see his wonderful picture of Blush Noisette.

I want one!

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of blush noisette on old thread

• jardineratx
    15 years ago

I have Cl. Pinkie and BLush Noisette and love them both, but they grow very, very differently from each other. My ClP is growing on a pillar (which it has outgrown) and has long, lax canes that are easily trainable, while my blush noisette has not exhibited any climbing tendencies at all. My BN makes a very nice rounded shrub that is easily maintained at approximately 5x5x5. My ClP has no scent, but is thornless--my BN has a fantastic, wafting scent and continuous bloom. I'm thinking of transplanting my ClP next to Blush Noisette, if I can get DH to make a nice sturdy trellis to allow it to grow up the wall on that side of the house.
    molly

• llink2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, it looks like Blush Noisette is a shrub. So Climbing Pinkie it is. But I am sad that Molly reports no scent from the ClP - has that been the experience of others also?

• ronda_in_carolina
    15 years ago

I grow both. My Blush Noisette is fragrant and over my head at about 6 feet tall. It is not a narrow bush but can easily get tall. The fragrance wafts through the air and is delicious. I never spray or fuss over mine. It blooms all the time and wind, rain, or hose will deadhead spent blooms. I never be without this.

Climbing Pinkie is an amazing rose but blooms more for me when I let canes weep...so I do. No fragrance, few thorns which is important if you are going to train this rose up onto something.

Images of both:

Blush Noisette:

{{gwi:225043}}

Climbing Pinkie:
    {{gwi:225044}}