Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucretia1_gw

St Helena Cemetery Very Double HT

lucretia1
15 years ago

Does anyone grow this rose? The description at Vintage sounds wonderful, but I haven't been able to find any photos or other descriptions of it.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• jerijen
    15 years ago

If it is the same rose as Arcadia Louisiana Tea, we are no closer to knowing what it is --

However, I can testify that it is seemingly immune to powdery mildew and rust.
    And that the blooms need a little heat to open well.

When our weather is cold and dank, the blooms may only open about half-way.
    However, they are GORGEOUS at that stage, so I don't much care. :-)

Jeri

• lucretia1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info. Arcadia Louisiana looks like a beauty. Does it ball worse than Souvenir de la Malmaison? I planted a band of SdlM this year, and every bud balled, although we had an awfully cold, wet spring, so I'll just give it a year or so to see how it will really perform. Sombreuil is my only tea so far, although I have Lady Hillingdon on order, and a mystery band from RVR that looks like it might be a tea. Some of the recent posts of "favorite teas" have me salivating over a different class to add to my garden.

• jerijen
    15 years ago

Arcadia Louisiana looks like a beauty. Does it ball worse than Souvenir de la Malmaison?

*** No ma'am!
    Or, at least, not as consistently.
    Over several years, we tried two different climbers, and two different bushes,
    convinced that there MUST be a SDLM that would not ball here.
    FAINT HOPE!
    I give up!
    If you can't grow SDLM, for Heaven's sake check out "Pilarcitos,"
    which has a somewhat similar look, but never balls.

Arcadia Louisiana Tea, by contrast, balls in our cool, damp, often
    foggy spring weather, but opens fine in summer and fall.

Jeri

• lucretia1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pilarcitos is on my (not so) short list--good to hear that it's a good one!

• barbarag_happy
    15 years ago

Lucretia, if SDLM persists in balling, you might try Mystic Beauty-- healthy, wonderful bloomer and that SDLM fragrance. Has been perfectly healthy here and a non-stop bloomer. It's a sport of SDLM-- featured on Roses Unlimited website. Where are you, anyway? Sorry if I'm failing to recognize your name. We share a zone but if you're in Texas or out west, very diff. climates...!

• lucretia1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm in the Puget Sound area in Wa State (and still above water, knock wood!) SDLM hasn't had much of a chance to perform. I just put her in as a band last year, and while she put out several buds, none opened. In fairness, she's still a baby and the weather didn't cooperate at all (you know it's bad when they have to cancel tomato tasting competitions because the tomatoes haven't ripened!) I'm planning to try to give her at least another year or 2 to see how she'll behave. I had a lot of other roses balling this fall, too--Out of the Night, Golden Buddha, and others were balling with the rotten fall weather.

Mystic Beauty looks lovely (A great photo on the Roses Unlimited web page!)--another one to add to my list of "roses I don't need but want to try."