Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

Suggestions on transplanting?

subk3
9 years ago

I'm pulling out a few roses this weekend since we have temps forecasted in the 50s. They are headed to lilyfinch's garden and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to make this as stress free as possible.

The roses are all about 3 years old--so not monsters but not exactly small either. They are Madam Hardy, Barrone Provost, Marcessa Bocella and Aloha. So, all pretty cold hardy roses that should be in some sort of dormancy I would think. At the same time probably to big to pot into something for the move. Do I bare root them? (How do I do that?!) Or just try digging out a root ball and keeping that intact with plastic or something?

Comments (11)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Roses don't tend to produce the sort of fibrous root systems that will hold a root ball together. They will end up bare root pretty much no matter what you do. So plan on having a large plastic bag, like a garbage bag handy, and put the bottom end of the roses in that.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

...I would have to start all over again with these.... I would cut down all stems to about 1 foot above ground.... dig them out removing all soil, leaving them bare root.... place in a bucket of water to keep them wet while you go about it... then transfer to a plastic bag or whatever, as mad gallica suggests..to take to your friends garden...

...when replanting, I would probably trim the roots a bit to make them manageable, there's no harm in that... and when finally in their new holes, - if they were grafted then the graft would be about 2-4 inches below soil level,... if own root then about the same as they were before...depends on your zone I expect...perhaps deeper if it gets really cold there..
    ...water in well, then I would mulch around them and leave them be to recover... in about March time I would check them again and maybe prune back just a little more - depends on what growth I can see... and give a feed...

...I would think this procedure would be fairly reasonable for most parts of the northern hemisphere during the winter...

• buford
    9 years ago

It depends on how soon you are going to replant them. If you are going to replant them right away, I would just dig them up and replant. If you aren't going to plant them for awhile, then I would cut them down and also root prune and pot them up. I had to dig up many roses and have potted them up. Some of the larger ones did not like it and did not survive. But most have.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Bare rooting them will cause more root damage than just potting them temporarily. If you can't find pots get some kind of tarps and wrap the root balls. Make sure they stay moist. Even dormant drying out would be hard on them. Good luck!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I would certainly give the bush a good trimming before transplanting. The bush needs all its energy to replace any lost roots without having to maintain leaves. I would leave as much soil as possible around the roots when taking out the roses.

Ingrid

• buford
    9 years ago

I went with a bunch of members of my rose society to dig up roses from another member's yard. He was going into assisted living and wanted his roses to go where they would be appreciate. I came home with about 15. I didn't have pots for all of them, so a few of them I still have in the plastic bags that top soil came in (the same topsoil I put in the pots and in the bag. If it's only for a few weeks you can do that.

• subk3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions!

Just curious, none of these roses have leaves at this point in the winter. If energy is stored in the canes why would it be benefitial to prune them at all if they can be physically managed without doing so?

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

It shouldn't but they will still be easier to handle and move if they're shorter. I wouldn't cut them way down but shortening them up some will just make them less trouble to move around.

• buford
    9 years ago

You will likely have to trim down some canes just to dig them out. And cut roots. Depending on how big they are, how long they've been in the ground and what the soil is like.

The worst one I had to dig up had it's roots entwined with tree roots. It was hard to tell who's roots belong to who.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

..I think the idea of pruning them right down is so that it will encourage vigorous canes from near the base, when they are settled in and growing again,.. otherwise they could remain rather lanky...and suffer a fair bit of dieback in any case....