Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Replacement for Pretty Jessica- Help Please

My center focal point raised planter bed was to have 3 Pretty Jessica roses near the front ( 2nd row of plantings). I received an e-mail from Pickering today indicating that the 3 rose bushes I ordered back in September are sold out???? Pickering was the only place I found to have this rose available. I actually ordered Marie Pavie and a Pretty Jessica, but now will likely lose that rose too due to their 3 rose minimum. I am desperately seeking a replacement for Pretty Jessica but have not found anything. The rose should be a medium pink and grow no larger than 3' tall. I prefer a fragrant rose but at this point would just settle for a pretty rose that has great medium pink blooms. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Lynn

Comments (37)

• damask55linen
    10 years ago

Lynn,
    If you would be willing to go with another past Dave's Garden Top 5 company, Rogue Valley had Pretty Jessica;
    I like to call or write to the nurseries because sometimes the info on the website doesn't match up with what is actually available in stock.
    Hope I didn't send you on a wild goose chase, but you might get tempted for other beauties at Rogue.
    I see why you want this rose so badly, it really is a gem.
    Linda

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Linda,

Rogue was the first company where I made my first purchased of Pretty Jessica, and they were unable to fill the order. I have given up on trying to acquire this rose as it has turned into a wild goose chase.

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
    10 years ago

Hortico has both Pretty Jessica and Marie Pavie listed as available. They also have another border size pink that Ingrid loves in her hot dry climate, Potter and Moore.

I planted two Pretty Jessica plants from Pickering Nurseries in my cold climate garden last year. One appears to have established quite well, though its less than a foot high. The other :Cheers, Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Hortico Austin P's page

• kstrong
    10 years ago

Get Princess Alexandra of Kent. The BEST Austin of late, in my opinion. Does everything well.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Gruss an Aachen would fit your height requirement and has a nice sweet fragrance...not a very strong scent, but very fresh smelling. It's not always pink, though. The color of mine vary at different times from cream with touches of pink to a medium pink with peachy yellow touches and anywhere in between...beautiful no matter which color variation it decides to bloom, though, and seems to blend well with most any other color rose. There is a Pink Gruss an Aachen version, but I've no experience with it. Or maybe Marie Daly, the pink version of Marie Pavie?

Gruss an Aachen:

{{gwi:225528}}

{{gwi:225529}}

• gothiclibrarian
    10 years ago

If I were you I'd call Hortico before ordering.

I've had orders for Pretty Jessica canceled for 3 years in a row now...last year 1 cancelation was from Hortico, so I am just not sure they really have it in stock.

Just thought I'd mention so that the same thing doesn't happen to you at multiple vendors as it seems to happen to me with this rose!

NOTHING is worse than planning your year's garden projects around plants that never materialize. Well, I suppose I can think of some things, maybe I'm being dramatic.

Cheers!
    ~Anika

• damask55linen
    10 years ago

Has anyone suggested Boscobel to you?The photos of Boscobel vary from light pink to quite a stout salmon and the salmon pink may not be what you are after. I would have liked to post a picture for you but I don't know much about the internet copyright rules.
    Boscobel is so popular, there must be a good reason. It is supposedly around 39 inches tall, a nice medium size. Now I'm talking myself more into it. From now on my rule is to see it at the nursery before I set my heart on it.
    Maybe Carol at Northland Rosarium could carry Pretty Jessica if you put in a request, she's adding more David Austins to her mail order the past few years. She is a really great person to talk roses with.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Rick,

I read your e-mail, searched Hortico's site, became exited, and immediately placed an order, then I read gothic librarian's post UGH!!! The gothic librarian tried to help me be proactive but I was too impetuous.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I was attempting to find a rose for this area previously; and was done, until yesterday when I received the message from Pickering. Pretty Jessica has always been my first choice.

I had hoped to find a medium pink rose, as a buff or light pink would just blend in with the SDLM in the area. A salmon pink would not work with the color theme of the other roses and plantings. I am fairly locked in with that color. The only alternative would be a purple. I have considered ebb tide; a modern. The only other medium pink rose that I have found is Chantal Mereiux, which I love, but it would not be delivered to me until late May by R.U. That is a dangerous planting time due to my summers. I am already going nuts looking at the empty space at the front of this raised bed, so waiting until Fall to plant Chantal Mereiux from R.U. is unlikely. So my search continues; unless Hortico actually has the roses I ordered.

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 19:44

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

What about Rose de Rescht? It stays small, is definitely fragrant and not difficult to find. It's not medium pink or purple, but somewhere in between. RdR is about the same color of my Ebb Tide's hot weather blooms...ET it is only smoky purple in spring and fall for me, so if you don't think RdR's color would blend well with SdlM, Ebb Tide might not be a good choice for you either...

My Ebb Tide's hot weather coloring:

{{gwi:225530}}

Rose de Rescht

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    10 years ago

I've had Pretty Jessica for more than twenty years, and while she is perfectly healthy in this dry heat area, she is not very vigorous and has never bloomed very much. Flowers are beautiful when she has any. But I wouldn't order her again if I had it to do all over again.

Melissa

Original Author
    10 years ago

Pat-bama,

Your E.T in heat look so different from the images I have seen, but sometimes folks have a tendency to post images of roses at their best, versus how it appears when it is really hot. Unfortunately, I have yet to see any of these roses in person. The images of Ebb Tide that I have seen appeared purple and the old images looked a smoky purple gray; but I have not seen it appear fuchsia/ hot pink??? which would just be wrong⦠wrong⦠wrong⦠Oh My.Honestly, the only roses that I have seen in person matched the descriptions on-line via the suppliers, not the images supplied by many gardeners and the suppliers.

I am back to Pretty Jessica. Crossing my fingers that Hortico actually has it. I requested the quickest shipping time frame possible.

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Fri, Feb 21, 14 at 20:14

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

When I saw you were considering Ebb Tide, I immediately thought of Rose de Rescht, since they are basically the same color for me...magenta/fuchsia. That didn't sound like something I envisioned you wanting with SdlM, so thought I would post the pics. ET is that magenta/fuchsia color the majority of my growing season since we have a very short cool spring and fall, as I imagine is the same for you. I don't grow it, but supposedly, Twilight Zone keeps its dark purple coloring better in the heat, but I believe it would get over 3 ft tall. I'll keep my fingers crossed you are able to get Pretty Jessica, as well!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx, pat_bama. I have 6 twilight zones on order for a different area in the front yard, and you re- confirmed what I had hoped about it; the coloring even in the heat is purple.

The lady at Pickering suggested Bonica. Maybe I am incorrect, but to me that rose real suits a "purpose", like Knock Out; a work horse that isn't known for its beauty, form or fragrance. I thought I would not leave a big open space and wait for Chantal Mereiux, but if I do not get Pretty Jessica or find an alternative I could be filling that space in the Fall.

I look at roses and am overwhelmed at the abundant varieties, and thus it is so odd that I am having such difficulty finding a rose that is "pink", not tan, or an usual stripe... Pink....

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, the 3 ft or under requirement is difficult for a warm climate even in a common color. FWIW, I vote you get want you really want even if you have to wait until fall. You can always put pots of pretty annuals in the spots you are saving for Pretty Jessica or Chantal Mereiux until they are available.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

My Ebb Tide is a dud, not sure it if only represents itself in our garden or Ebb Tide in general.

Right now it does have a few purple blooms. But for the most part it is a sad looking 12" tall plant that abandons current foilaage once it blooms and starts fresh canes. All summer, if it decides to bloom, they are hot pink. Can you tell I am unimpressed?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

La France and Potter and Moore both have gorgeous pink blooms and neither is more than 3 feet high for me. La France is actually shorter than PaM and is very fragrant, which PaM isn't. La France so far isn't much of a bush but when it blooms, which it does very well in my hot and dry climate, even a few flowers make me forget about the bush. I had to buy a second band after seeing the flowers on the first one. PaM is more bushy and I love the flowers, which to me are more beautiful and certainly longer lasting than those on my Pretty Jessica. Rogue Valley still had PaM the last time I looked, in case you're interested.

Ingrid

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ingrid.

I am holding out for Pretty Jessica and will likely place annuals in the space should I not get PJ this season. I am researching Potter and Moore. It is gorgeous but if fear it will become too tall for the front of the border.

10 years ago

Lynn, I hope you find it since you want it so badly, but also hope you won't be disappointed that this rose, at least for me, does not last well at all in the heat. Potter and Moore is no more than 3 feet for me and I believe it's in its third year. The blooms last much longer. Very little bloom for Pretty Jessica so far, and I'm beginning to suspect it does better in cooler and more humid climates.

Ingrid

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I've been meaning to suggest Bonica for several days now. It's not a workhorse like KO's, in my opinion, but a beautiful rose that happens to bloom a lot. It might grow too wide for your space, but probably not too tall. Did you have width requirements? Another lovely rose I've grown several of is Royal Bonica, a sport of Bonica. It's another constant bloomer with a little darker and larger blooms than Bonica. Trouble is, I think it might grow a little tall for you. Take a look at both these roses on HMF--sorry I don't have pics myself. Diane

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Nanadoll,

I selected Ballerina for a pink rose that has small blooms. It is actually on the other side of this bed near the porch. I had envisioned a rose with larger blooms for this space.

Visually, Bonica just does not knock me out, but I have not seen it in person and thus could have a completely different opinion once I see it.

This Spring, I am visiting Huntington Gardens. It has been about 13 years since I have been there, and my taste etc. has definitely evolved. I also had a toddler in tow, and I think that impacted my ability to completely focus upon the gardens. Maybe I will get to see Bonica, among so many roses, up close and in person.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Lynn, you'll love Ballerina-I have one and she's great, except for one thing. Be sure to acidify your soil because hybrid musks can get chlorotic in our alkaline soil (you probably already know that-just thought I'd mention it). Diane

• nancylee2
    10 years ago

Hi Lynn, I also had my Pickering order of Pretty Jessica cancelled this week. So disappointing. Roses Unlimited had earlier cancelled an order of PJ. I'm afraid we are just not going to find her available. Princess Alexandra of Kent or Young Lycidas might work for you. -Nancy

Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancylee,

Young Lycidas is one I forgot about. I have one one order that will be placed in a pot near Gertrude Jekyll. I really cannot get a handle on the color, as I have not seen it other than on line images. I have often heard that the growth habits are odd.

I have been indecisive regarding a Princess Alexandria of Kent for a space in my backyard. If it truly has hints of yellow or salmon, it will blend nicely with the other roses or color theme, the front yard has no such colors or colorings.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Diane,

I hope so. This rose looks gorgeous and was highly recommended. do not have a lot of roses with lower petal counts.
    Ballerina is going in a larger pot .

• vickysgarden
    10 years ago

I think I got my Pretty Jessica from Long Ago Roses; if you don't mind a small own-root band, perhaps Linda would have it in stock again this year. You could email her and ask, if you have your heart set on that one.

• Terry Crawford
    10 years ago

Perhaps 'Kimberlina' would be a suitable replacement for 'PJ'. One of my FB friends posted a pic today of his 'Kimberlina' and says it is very prolific. It appears to be similar in coloring to my 'Pretty Jessica', but it is a floribunda. HMF says it gets to around 4'.

Original Author
    10 years ago

terryjean,

I own a Kimberlina purchased at a local nursery to replace one purchased from a supplier that failed. It would definitely become too large for the front of the bed as I believe it is supposed to become about 4'. Thank you for the suggestion as it is a rose I like.

• vickysgarden
    10 years ago

Desertgarden, why don't you try Long Ago Roses? Her prices are very reasonable and at least last year anyway, she was propagating Pretty Jessica.

Original Author
    10 years ago

vickysgarden,

Pretty Jessica is not listed on Long Ago Rose's site. I have been disappointed so frequently in my attempt to purchase this rose, that I have turned by attention in another direction, and believe I will be very happy with the alternative. I sent a check to R.U. for another rose that I hope to receive in April. If Hortico actually sends Pretty Jessica in a couple of weeks or so, then it was meant to be, but I am not holding my breath. Their system allowed me to request a shipping date for a period, confirmed by their office staff, that no one is even present there to verify if the rose is physically in stock, so expecting an actual shipmentâ¦...

• vickysgarden
    10 years ago

Desertgarden, It IS there, I just checked....it is listed under its other name, Ausjess (Austin gives his roses 2 names), price is $15.00 plus shipping. I would email her to be sure it is in stock, however.

10 years ago

Lynn, are you going to leave us hanging and not tell is what the other rose is you're ordering from RU? I for one am dying to know.

Ingrid

Original Author
    10 years ago

vickysgarden,

Thank you so much for your help. Long ago does not ship to Nevada.

Ingrid, I am being a little superstitious; and days ago, I would have emphatically denied being this way. Generally I am so logical, and analytical, etc., etc., but I guess again, it is undeniable that I have my momentsâ¦.

Lynn

• gnabonnand
    10 years ago

DesertGarden, very sorry to hear of the trouble you've had obtaining Pretty Jessica.
    Such a good rose for me. I have two of them and since it seems to be so hard to get this rose these days, I really need to try to root PJ some day. I've always been afraid it would take forever to root PJ, so I've never tried.

Randy

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx Randy,

While P.J is pretty, petite and pink, it isn't not the only one out there matching that criteria, so I had to move on :)

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

What about the China/Bourbon 'Hermosa'? She's lovely, darn clean, almost always in bloom, and smallish. Low on fragrance, though. Love the silvery pink color.

• hcarnevale
    10 years ago

Heirloom Roses just listed Pretty Jessica as being available for $17.50.

• growing_rene2
    10 years ago

I was just going to post about heirloom as well. The have PJ now!

Here is a link that might be useful: heirloom, Pretty Jessica

Sponsored
Jewel Marie Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia