Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Who Has Had Rain?

It was wonderful to have it rain during the night, and even though it was a mere pittance compared to what we need it was wonderful to have any moisture at all during this horribly dry winter.

Who else in California and other drought areas had rain from this storm? I'm hoping that Pam (mendocino rose) had lots, since I understand there was more rain north of us. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of you.

England, on the other hand, is flooded after one horrific storm after another, as are parts of Italy and France. It seems to be either all or nothing this year.

Ingrid

Comments (33)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I'm so glad you finely got some rain, Ingrid! I hope it's just the start and you all get some good soakings for a while now.

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    10 years ago

Yes, we had some! It began to rain around 3 PM yesterday, quickly degenerated into a shower and then mere mist. Later, however, everything got wet. Not soaked, alas -- but still, wet is better than dry. My newly-planted Tamoras (Tamorae?) liked it.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Congratulations, Ingrid! Here in Encino, it drizzled just enough to make the street slick and make my truck look terrible. I still had to water. Kim

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Ha! Not even what I would call a "trace" - the official number was .02 inches. It did clear the air and make everything smell fresh, but that was all.

Jackie

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Got the sidewalk damp. Made the air smell good.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rats! It looks as though I'm the only one who had more than a sprinkle. We're supposed to get more in a few days and I hope that system spreads out to reach at least some of you.

Ingrid

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

OK - since about 4AM this morning it has been raining here - real, normal, steady rain. Yay! I said that I was trying to make it rain 3 weeks ago when I scheduled our window cleaner to come and clean all of our windows on Feb 3rd, and it worked! No idea how long this will last, but it has been raining steadily for 6 hours so far, and is making real puddles - enough to make the garden happy for a while, at least.

Jackie

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Congratulations, Jackie! It is CHILLY, a bit breezy, heavily overcast here and it looks quite threatening for some rain, but they say not to expect any. The air is heavy, as if It should rain. I am SO ready for a gully washer! I'm not feeding anything and haven't for quite a few months now. Even where there is regular irrigation, there isn't enough water to dissolve and flush through all the salts there already are in the soil. Fertilizers are only half of it. With all the minerals and "conditioners", natural and added, in the water supply, this soil needs several good flushings before anything else gets added. Enjoy your rain! Kim

• ms. violet grey
    10 years ago

raining today :)

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

Hoping you have a nice long steady rain------we've had a lot of snow here
    Florence

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I'm hoping I'm right when I say that I think we are heading back into a more normal rain pattern here. It's rained three times since Wednesday, a total of an inch and a half. Next Saturday there are six days of varying chances of rain predicted. It looks hopeful. We've even seen a slight change in the level of our pond.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Pam, that's great news! I'm happy for anyone who gets rain who needs it but I know you rely on your pond. An inch and a half is glorious in my book (I think we had about .10 inch), and the possibility of having more has to be thrilling. Hearing that the Sierras were expecting at least 12 inches of snow was great news also. I'm beginning to get my hopes up for a decent spring flush again!

Ingrid

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It's drizzling in the Encino Hills. Large drops, not a ton of them. Enough to foul up your glasses, clothes, hair, windshield and make the streets and stairs slick. I seriously doubt if it will be anything "measureable". Oh, well, it "mists" the cuttings and should be just enough to trigger a bumper crop of Petty Spurge. Kim

• Kippy
    10 years ago

We got some rain and I could see a dusting of snow on the mountains

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

I'm happy for you Californians who have gotten rain, and hope it will arrive for the hitherto rainless as well! Good luck!
    Melissa

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

Hope you guys in CA have lots and lots of rain while the rainy season lasts to at least partially offset the effects of the draught.

Over here, we have had a good winter up to now rain wise. More than 10" of rain since November is, I believe, better than average for us here in one of the drier regions in the country.
    Nik

• joshtx
    10 years ago

We got rain yesterday! It was a slow drizzle but it seems to have soaked into the ground pretty good.

Huzzah! It's about time!

Josh

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Boohoo! the usual fall rains were minimal, none at all this winter, which started early & hit hard. Oh, "officially" there have been a few drizzle drops with some of the fronts, but not real measurable rain...

Oh, well--cheers to all of you who have received it, I hope y'all get more, especially you in CA.

Too bad Camps can't send her overabundance this way.

• User
    10 years ago

We would, if we could. It is now the wettest winter since 1762!!!

Sun shining here though (between gales), so off outside any minute to make the most of it.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

The weather service is predicting a "deep feed" of moisture here this weekend. I love the sound of that. We will actually(I hope) have a week of rainy days.

• joshtx
    10 years ago

We got more rain last night!

• Kippy
    10 years ago

To all our Northern California Rosie friends

Enjoy the rain, lots of rain!!!

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Yay! We have gotten 3 inches here in the last 4 days, as of yesterday morning, and it rained all day yesterday, and it POURED all night, and it is still raining heavily - I bet we will have gotten 4-6 inches in a week when this stops - who knew that all I had to do to make it rain a lot was to have my windows washed? I will keep that in mind for the future.

Jackie (Marin County)

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm THRILLED that there's so much rain in the more northern parts of California, not to mention that the snow pack in the Sierras has increased. This is critical nor only for gardens, but for water consumption and food by people and animals for the rest of the year. And, the rainy season is not over and there may still be more to come.

So far my garden, with only two episodes of rain about a week apart, has probably at most had half an inch of rain. Nevertheless, it's made quite a difference, especially since it was cool and often cloudy in between so that the soil didn't dry out much after the first rain. The roses that were pruned are all leafing out, and I suspect we may have an early spring flush because of the high temperatures earlier. I'm afraid I'm going to become a camera fiend then because this bounty is so unexpected, and I think many of us were in the back of our minds anxious and worried pretty well non-stop before the rains finally came. I know I was. I don't know what next year will bring but I'm going to enjoy fully whatever the garden will have to offer in another month or two. Everything we value becomes even more precious when there is the very real possibility that it might be taken away from us.

Ingrid

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Red Rose Ridge has become a water wonderland. The pond is nearly full! All the dry creeks and rivulets are roaring. I can see waterfalls from the kitchen window. The worst of my water worries are over for this year.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Hallelujah! Congratulations, Pamela! Now, quit being selfish and express mail some of your overage to us in the South! LOL! Kim

Original Author
    10 years ago

What a difference a month or so can make! From deep depression to euphoria, what a great feeling. I need more, lots more rain, and I haven't given up hope yet. However, it's a relief that probably the most dramatic and probably one of the largest rose gardens here can look forward to a bountiful spring show and has enough water for the remainder of the year.

Ingrid

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Not enough rain here in PDX, but several days of snow! (See Josh's humor post for pix.) I hear rain is coming next week to relieve our dry winter. I hope. I hope. Maybe N Cal is sending us a dose! Carol

• cemeteryrose
    10 years ago

We set a record for rain on Saturday in Sacramento. This storm probably has delivered about 2 1/2-3 inches total here in town. It was stormy enough that a giant deodar cedar crashed down at a house not far away, damaging another couple of trees and utterly crushing a car. Thank goodness nobody was hurt. We have an immense one next door to us - we love it but are eyeing it with caution. We're still officially in a drought, and no more rain is in our ten-day forecast, but it's still a great relief.

It was interesting watching the storm clouds part and pass by Sacramento on the weather map - there are a million residents here and a huge amount of concrete on the ground - apparently it forms its own high pressure system and averts the rain.
    Anita

• jeannie2009
    10 years ago

From the southern tip of Puget Sound, we've not been getting enough rain either .Last April was extremely dry also. For the first time I was watering the vegetable garden. It seems as though the last 2-3 years have been dryer than usual. While I've only lived here for 15 years, it does seem counterintuitive that the PNW is getting dryer.
    Finally today we're getting a goodly amount of rain. They are predicting rain for tomorrow too. It feels good. Time to walk the dog.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

We enjoyed the rain in gold country above sacramento this weekend. Our clothes are still drying out. Lol. There were small falls, raging creeks, flooded fields and roads. But it was nice to think of the flowers this rain will bring

Drove up to pick up a very very very heavy fireplace insert that had us sinking in mud, sliding about, enjoyed watching rain run off spraying out of the gopher holes and spending hours wenching it slowly up and in to the back of the truck. Boy are we tired and sore today

We got to see so many usually green hills, still brown like it was summer. Sad to see

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

No rain here for months. Fortunately it snows at least three times a week! Temps get above freezing about once a week. I am happy for those of you on the west coast who are finally getting some relief from the drought.

{{gwi:225589}}

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

OK, it finally stopped raining after raining since Friday here without stopping, even for 5 minutes. The latest tally for the last 8 days (3 separate storms) is 8 inches here! Kentfield, which is closer to our local reservoirs, got 15 inches! They are predicting more rain for Wed & Thurs... I will never complain about rain again, ever.

Jackie

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living