Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesmc

New austin Rambler

lesmc
9 years ago

is anyone considering ordering The Albrighton Rambler?I live in Louisville,KY zone 6 and I have never added a rambler to my garden, but this one interests me. Any info I might need on ramblers in my zone?I would appreciate any help you`all might be able to share with me. Thanks,Lesley

Comments (15)

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Help Me Find says "Very hardy" I would think that means you'd be OK in zone 6. My only personal experience is in zone 8. I know there are a number of ramblers bred for hardiness. I just don't have the first hand knowledge of growing them in colder climes.

• kygirl1
    9 years ago

I am ordering 5 albrighton ramblers im zone 6b kentucky,
    im opening a garden store in march hope these keep customers happy!
    Any one else have any imput
    Oh it says in the wholesale list that tbey can grow in a container!!! Thats a plus for sales and gardeners....

• DavidBeck
    9 years ago

Austin's catalogue says the blooms are small. When a rose is described as "small" it usually means 2" to maybe 2 1/2" diameter. Too small for me.

I could live with that if the rambler is covered with blooms. That said, of concern to me is the description that the blooms "are held in large sprays and hang gracefully on the branch." That means top-heavy ends of canes that nod down, leaving (I would think) very leggy canes with no blooms along its length. The catalog says nothing about forcing new canes from leaf axons when one arches the canes (like climbers), so I have some doubts about having a mass color effect along the canes.

I'm guessing this rambler would to better on a pillar or a pergola than, say a fence.

I think I'll wait a year and see what results from gardeners' experiences.

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

I'm waiting to learn more about The Albrighton Rambler,too, and also The Lady of the Lake, yet another new Austin rambler. I have no trouble with the small-sized blooms, on the contrary, I'm exceedingly fond of small-flowered roses! but I wonder about the colour: I think a lot of the "official" Austin photos are re-touched quite a lot, with colours being heightenend, etc. On HMF, most of the pictures of The Albrighton show a flower that to my eye is closer to "blush tending to white" rather than "soft pink fading to blush",whilst The Lady of the Lake, though described as "rose pink" from the photos looks more like a very pale apricot tending towards white. So, if in reality these roses are both more or less white there's lots of non-Austin ramblers that I'd prefer for my garden; I'd only want them if they provide some interesting colour that icouldn't find in another type of rose.

• bart_2010
    9 years ago

I'm waiting to learn more about The Albrighton Rambler,too, and also The Lady of the Lake, yet another new Austin rambler. I have no trouble with the small-sized blooms, on the contrary, I'm exceedingly fond of small-flowered roses! but I wonder about the colour: I think a lot of the "official" Austin photos are re-touched quite a lot, with colours being heightenend, etc. On HMF, most of the pictures of The Albrighton show a flower that to my eye is closer to "blush tending to white" rather than "soft pink fading to blush",whilst The Lady of the Lake, though described as "rose pink" from the photos looks more like a very pale apricot tending towards white. So, if in reality these roses are both more or less white there's lots of non-Austin ramblers that I'd prefer for my garden; I'd only want them if they provide some interesting colour that icouldn't find in another type of rose.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

I'd order 2 if they're available for AD US market. It's not listed there yet. It's only listed for AD UK's website. Always love the roses with thousands of blooms.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

I ordered one The Albrighton and one Malvern Hills From DA in TX today, will report it back in the fall.

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    7 years ago

Any new information or pics yet??

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    7 years ago

Thanks for posting! Are they both tip hardy for you?

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Yes, both of them are tip hardy, but we had a warm winter though.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    7 years ago

Oh, what a beautiful rose, summers. Diane

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Thanks Diane. I hope it would repeat more next year. :-)

• Dave5bWY
    7 years ago

Nice update, summersrhythm. I have a place I'd like to plant The Albrighton Rambler but have held off doing so as the disease resistance is rated as average on DA UK site and rebloom is "good" - for a remonant variety that means "not often". Not a stab a DA just an observation. How healthy has it been for you? How large thus far?

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Dave, It's about 4' tall, and very healthy in 6a NY.