Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippy_the_hippy

Huntington or Descanso for spring?

Kippy
10 years ago

I would like to suggest a Gardenweb Roses forum meet up at either or both the Huntington or Descanso Gardens this spring when hopefully there is a good flush. It would be fun to get together and enjoy a rosey fun time, talk roses with friends and enjoy a day in the garden with friends

Stacian noted that the first Thursday of each month is free at the Huntington but it is popular so we would have to we would have to decide and then all reserve tickets. Otherwise the Huntington is $20-23

Descanso is $9

Post here if you are interested and have a suggestion for a date

Comments (13)

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

Huntington roses were fantastic last year and I expect they will be even better this year. I have done both in one day. Descanso opens earlier and it's a short way to the Huntington afterwards.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Some years ago I went to the Great Rosarians event at the Huntington with Luanne and Bluesibe. However, I have never been to the Descanso Gardens, so that would appeal more to me. It would depend greatly on when the gathering was scheduled. If I am free, I would enjoy coming.

Rosefolly

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Mid April is prime time. How about Saturday, April 19th, or Sunday, April 20? Either place is fine with me.

This post was edited by hoovb on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 16:58

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

The Huntington's 2013 Spring plant sale was on April 27-28 so the 19th or 20th sounds like a good time. As I recall, Fullerton Arboretum's big sale is the week before the Huntington's and falls @ the 20th every year. Parking is hard to get at the Huntington when the sale is happening.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

However April 20th is the Open Garden at the Sacramento Cemetery Rose Garden. Many northern California OGR gardeners go there each year. I do myself, unless I am traveling.

If that is your best date, go for it, but be aware that the two events will be in conflict and people will have to make a choice.

Rosefolly

• stacian
    10 years ago

I may go up to Sacramento this year and would like to leave that as an option so let's schedule it for the week before or after please!

Also, I am ok with both. Since I'll be out there, I will probably end up going to both either way.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe we should all post the other rose events coming up and then plan a visit to these gardens when we do not have conflicts with other things.

I would like to go to Sacramento and/or San Jose too.

• nancylee2
    10 years ago

Kippy: I am interested. Maybe we could carpool. -Nancylee

Ps: thanks for the tip on Voluptous at HD. I'd been looking for it so DH went and got it -- a very nice Christmas present!

This post was edited by nancylee2 on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 3:16

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does any one know when San Jose Heritage Rose Garden has their spring celebration?

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NancyLee, glad you found a rose you were looking for and carpooling is a good idea!

Since Sacramento's open garden is in April (I think we need to work on a plan to go!) what about picking one garden for March and one for May? Hopefully the free Thursday for the Huntington, they are kind of pricey but I am sure in need of support so a donation I am sure would be accepted. We could decide to meet at a certain spot at a set time.

• lagomorphmom
    10 years ago

Just a gentle reminder that weekends might be preferable for a group gathering for those who work during the week AND those traveling from out of town.

• lagomorphmom
    10 years ago

I have emailed the Huntington to inquire about their annual sale. Will let you know if I hear anything.

• Kippy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is any one interested in meeting at Descanso on Saturday March 8th?

The roses might not all be in bloom, but most of us enjoy companion plants and some early ones should be blooming.