Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashrosetx

Tea rose suggestions

ashrosetx
9 years ago

I have room for just one large rose or two medium ones. Full all day sun in central texas- alkaline clay soils with limestone beneath, temperatures in the 90s and 100s in the summer.

I am looking for a pink / red or multicolored rose - rosette delizy or general schablikine ? Suggestions appreciated.

Asha

Comments (21)

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

How about Mrs. Dudley cross? Yellow and pink blend and does great in Texas. I plan on planting 2 this spring, I am in the SE TX area. Also duchess de Brabant would be a good one too. There are so many options! Have fun picking one and share what you decide on!

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Mrs. B.R.Cant

• ashrosetx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you boncrow66. I already have both and love them. We built a pool last summer 3 feet from the duchesse. Her drip line got cut, she was covered in limestone dust and even got completely defoliate by deer. I thought she was a goner since she was only a year old. I am glad she proved me wrong. Not only made it through the summer on rainfall which wasn't much and is loaded now with buds. Fantastic rose !!

Asha

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Mrs. B.R.Cant in winter

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Mrs.B.R.Cant

• ashrosetx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What a lovely lovely rose!! Thanks so much for the pictures. I called Chamblee's and changed my order to replace monsiuer tillier with MBC.

Life is too short not to grow a rose like this one :)

Asha

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I am glad to hear all your teas are doing good, especially since I will be planting them this spring. I also had added MBC to my list. Mauvegirl thanks for sharing your pics, MBC is a beauty and I can't wait to have here in my yard.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    9 years ago

I love my Mme. Lambard, and it looks like I really really need Mme. Berkely. Mme. Lambard is only about a year old here, but blooms constantly.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

The only problem with Mme. Berkeley is that in really hot weather, the blooms shrink to Mini-size, and the colors become very harsh.

But it keeps on blooming . . .

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Another rose I REALLY love is 'Niles Cochet.'

Jeri

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    9 years ago

I'm very fond of General Gallieni - a big vigorous healthy shrub, a parent of RdeLizy, coppery red to buff, always interesting colour changes going on, loves heat. Such an impressive chappie, in fact, that someone on here once remarked that she didn't know whether she should bow or salute as she walked past him! Who was that? Did I get your quote right? It made me laugh - I kind of know what you mean. :ì)
    Haven't grown it myself, but I always admired it in the garden at Ross Roses at Willunga, SA

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

I am thoroughly enjoying Rosette Delizy, one of your original choices. I simply can't believe I waited so many years to plant this cheerful, willing rose. It is one of the delights of my garden and blooms most of the year in my climate.

If you decide to plant it, I believe you will be happy with your choice.

Rosefolly

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I second the recommendation of Rosette Delizy. We've grown it since 1990 or thereabouts, and it's been great from the beginning.

I'm sold on the Nabonnand roses.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

I have MBRC and Mons Tillier. To my eye and nose MBRC is the far better rose. I just love the fresh, not-overpowering smell. MT is a good rose here, but I have never been wowed by it as I am regularly by the Mrs.

Today her blooms are a luscious pink guarded by petals of dark raspberry. And she is better foliaged then the Monsieur.

Jeri, Is Mme. Berkeley thornless?

• jerijen
    9 years ago

A friend once described the fragrance of 'Mrs. B.R. Cant' as reminding her of "old lady's bath powder."

:-)

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

I love talcum powder.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Thonotorose -- No, I don't think Mme. Berkeley is thornless. I'd have to go down there to be sure, because it's not something I pay much attention to -- thorns -- but I think she catches my skirts.

And I can't get down on the hillside right now. Couple more weeks, while the knee replacement heals. :-)

• ashrosetx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much everyone. I appreciate all your help. I placed an order with Chamblee's that will ship next week. I have Mrs BR Cant instead of Monsiuer tillier - thank you Thonotorose and mauvegirl8. I also added in Nacogdoches rose (grandmas rose) because it's such a pretty yellow and was blooming in December when it was 40 degres. Also added SDLM ( for smaller spots) , climbing pinkie and winter sunset (buck rose) as an experiment.

Jeri - thank you for the lovely pictures. I plan to make a trip up to ARE in May to see them in bloom to fill my remaining large spot. I hope I can contain myself :) I hope your knee feels better soon.

Happy gardening this weekend.

• buford
    9 years ago

You can't go wrong with Mrs. BR Cant (I am putting in two, one on each side of the driveway) Just make sure she has enough room.

I second Jeri's pick of Madame Lambard. It was one of the few teas I was able to rescue and keep alive when my yard was dug up.

Here was my original MBC

This post was edited by buford on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 9:20

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Ashrose you are going to love the Nacadoches, mine is going on its 4th year and last spring it started blooming and never stopped, even now it is blooming lol. It also has been super healthy with very little BS if any and when I say very little maybe one or two leaves. You will also love your cl pinkies. I have 3 I planted last spring and they don't know the word sleep lol, mine are growing up the poles of my arbor and grew up to 12 ft already, not much bloom due to all that growing but wow I was impressed by how vigourous they grew, I was constantly tying up canes lol. And I also think you will love SDLM, mine is also new but so far I love it and it has been healthy. All my roses have come from Chamblees too but I have a few I want to try from ARE, like blush noisette and clotilde soupert. Have fun with all your new roses, I'm making a trip to Chamblees in the spring and have MBC on my list.

Buford, everytime I see a pic of your Mrs. B. R. Cant I always think to myself Mrs. B. R. CAN lol. Beautiful, makes me swoon!