Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cemeteryrose

Sacramento Historic Rose Garden Open Garden, Apr 12

cemeteryrose
10 years ago

Mark your calendars for our Open Garden, 930-2, April 12. We usually have it the third Sat in April, but moved it forward because of Easter. As warm as it's been, having it a week earlier will probably mean that our roses will be in full flush. In any case, we will have some of our rare roses for sale, some other rosy items, garden tours, and a chance to hang out with other rose lovers surrounded by thousands of blooms.
Anita

Here is a link that might be useful: Cemetery Rose Website

Comments (20)

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Have a wonderful time! I'm sure it will be glorious. It always is.

Unfortunately I will not be there this year. That is the one day in April when I have a commitment I cannot break for anything short of illness or emergency, my county's Master Gardener plant sale.

Rosefolly

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I am so happy for the earlier date. Michael works every other weekend and must take time off to make it. This year the date is perfect for us. We wouldn't miss it. Any of you who haven't seen this wonderful garden please understand that it is incredibly worthwhile.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Someday, your neck of the west will be a family road trip. Indoctrinating my daughter. :-)

• joshtx
    10 years ago

I would love to go. I'll see what I can arrange. Being a broke college student, though, I'm not sure I will be able to make it.

Is there any way to purchase a rose without being there in person?

Josh

• cemeteryrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh, we don't ship roses. Sorry. It would be lovely if you and others from afar could come - but if not this year, another one, I hope!
    Anita

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Having had aged-dog-related issues that prevented us from going in the past, I've made the resolution to drag our canines along and make the trip this year. It won't be as worry-free but I've been dying to see this garden ever since I've learned of it.

This may sound anti-social (and I confess to being a loner) but I've had some trepidation that visiting on Open Garden Day will be more about people and lots of hustle and bustle, and I won't have the opportunity to study the roses and have the garden more to myself as I would on some other quiet mid-week date. At the same time I would love to meet some of my forum friends very much. I'll just have to give this some thought.

Ingrid

• cemeteryrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The garden is three acres with a lot of big roses, so if you want to look at roses on your own, that's possible. The event ends at 2 and we fold up things pretty fast, and the cemetery should be open 7 till 7 (although sometimes the city sticks to winter hours and is 8 till 5). So, there are times that you can be fairly well on your own. For me, it's ALL hustle and bustle that day and I never see everybody that I'd like to see. Ingrid, if you do come, please try to stop me for a minute and say hello. The same goes for all the rest of you too. I really like connecting faces to people whom I know via the internet.
    Anita

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Anita, I wouldn't dream of coming to the cemetery and not meeting you. I know you'll be busy but hope you'll have time for a hello and a hug. I deeply respect all the time and effort you've expended on behalf of the cemetery in addition to having your own garden to care for. The forum wouldn't be the same without you either.

Ingrid

• cemeteryrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Ingrid. Dogs on a leash are welcome in the cemetery, by the way!
    Anita

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Anita - thanks for the announcement! My DH and I will be there, and I think I have convinced a couple who are friends of ours who have never been there to come with us. They are gardeners, but only have one row of modern roses at their house - hope to convert them!

Jackie

• priscilla_ca
    10 years ago

Hi Anita, Just following up, is there a catalog for the event yet?
    Looking forward to seeing what roses will be available and making the trip!
    Thanks,
    Priscilla

• cemeteryrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jeri makes the catalog for us. We are hopeful that she and her DH will be there with all three DDs (dear Dalmations). We are aiming to have it ready at least a week before the event - earlier if possible.
    Anita

• fogrose
    10 years ago

I am so sad that I will miss this year's open garden and sale. But I'll make an effort to visit some other day during the bloom.

Ingrid, I would have liked to meet you. Hope you have a wonderful time. You should visit the garden the day before to really experience it in solitude.

Diane

• nancylee2
    10 years ago

We went last year both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday AM was quite busy what with the sale, auctions, and tours. Later in the afternoon we returned with cameras to quiet and found the same on Sunday. This year I think we will take our lunch and picnic late. I too am a quiet one with crowd aversion tendencies, yet found this a welcome happening. Perhaps it was the common love of roses that made it so. So, here's hoping we see you Ingrid, Pam, Pricilla, Anita and others we have yet to meet. It is such a beautiful and peaceful garden!

• NewGirlinNorCal
    10 years ago

I can't wait! I've loved going the past two years. The only problem is that I really don't have any more space for roses! I'll just have to restrain myself and get something rose-related like a shirt!

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Good idea, New Girl. I have a Cemetery Garden Tshirt that I really like.

Folly

• cemeteryrose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aprons - denim shirts - tshirts - there are other ways to spend your money at Open Garden! We have some heirloom iris too. Of course, we would not turn down a donation either. We are doing some big-ticket items this year after building up a fund - new markers for the plots, a new Historic Rose Garden sign, a new structure - we are making some wonderful improvements. Very exciting. Rather expensive (and totally out of our non-profit funds)!

Whether or not you can support us financially or with your time, we'd love to have you come and enjoy the roses.
    Anita

• zjw727
    10 years ago

What an exciting prospect! If I can manage to get there this year, I'll be especially excited to see Lady Roberts- last year, she had finished her Spring flush, and the remaining blooms were fried (it was almost 90 deg. the day I was there). Even so, the colors were still gorgeous! White Maman Cochet cascading down the side of a mausoleum is one of the most beautiful rose situations I have ever seen. Geez, just thinking about it has me twitching with rose-lust.

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I hope to make it this year.

Actually thinking of making it a rosey weekend and visiting San Jose and San Juan Bautista too.

Or stretching the weekend out for some time in Gold Country.

See ya there! (I hope)

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Nancy Lee and Ingrid I don't want to miss seeing you. Please don't hide out too much Ingrid!