Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

The Question of Rain

I was a happy camper the last time it rained even though the amount was less than half an inch. However, there's been nothing since then and no evidence of rain in the next ten-day forecast.

Is anyone at least getting rain further north in California? I'd really begun to dare to hope that this would be a rainy winter, and we had a good start, but there's been precious little lately. I probably need an attitude adjustment, but after several dismal spring showings because of the drought and unseasonably hot weather, all my hopes were pinned on having a beautiful spring this year since we'd been promised an El Nino winter. My younger roses especially need lots of rain to put on some growth.

How are the rest of you doing? If your garden is encased in ice, then we might have to get back to you in a few months.

Ingrid

Comments (17)

• ashrosetx
    9 years ago

We have been having a cold and wet winter here in central texas. 2 inches of rain in the last two days. While the rain is very welcome after the last several years of drought, the cold makes me grumpy. The high was in the upper 40s - in Austin where I live, cold is anything under 60 :) Had a warm spell earlier this week. Spent a day in the garden prepping the beds for roses coming from Chamblee's next week.
    Garden update - I have blooms on Mrs Dudley cross, nacogdoches rose and archduke charles. Buds on caldwell pink, ducher and duchesse de brabrant. Martha gonzales is crazy - someone needs to tell her that it is winter. She is pumping out flowers like its May. I spent a lot of time working the beds when I planted MG - compost, mulch and minerals plus from rabbit hill farm. Maybe that's it.

• kittymoonbeam
    9 years ago

Let them build a pipeline from Washington down to CA. We will put that extra water to good use. I don't see more rain for so CA at least not in useful amounts. Tomorrow the dry winds start and stay all weekend. Wish we could trade solar electricity for more water.

• roseblush1
    9 years ago

Ingrid ..

The drought is not over. We had a fair amount of rain this fall, enough to get the soil deep down quite moist in my garden, but have not had significant rain since 12/20/2014. More importantly, there is little or no snow pack on the Trinity Alps. Without the snow pack, there won't be water to send south.

Lyn

• lisa hallinan
    9 years ago

No rain up as far as Sonoma county, record breaking heat expected this weekend. I was so hopeful for rain, in the process of redoing my garden, lots of new roses that now might not make it.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AshRose, I have a feeling all that rain might have also helped your roses. I can really see the effects of a good rain on my roses.

kitty, I've thought the same thing about a pipeline, even if only from the western part of Oregon to here. Something drastic will have to be done since the drought situation will certainly not get better.

Lyn, you're right about the snow pack and it's no better in the Sierras. It's a bummer.

lisa, I hope there will still be rain in the next few months. I'm in the same situation, quite a few new roses to worry about.

Ingrid

• jerijen
    9 years ago

A friend who works with ocean current temperatures, and gets all of the projections says that recent projections indicate that CA in general, and perhaps even SoCal, will get a bit more rain in the coming three months or so ... but that there is no indication of any "drought-breaker."

It seems that we are in big trouble.

Jeri

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

I just turned on our irrigation system yesterday after 3 weeks with no rain - grrrrrrr...

I just hope this is not like 1212, when we got lots of rain in Nov and Dec, and then NONE for the next 13 months.

Jackie

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I hope the prediction that we will get at least some additional rain is correct.

But I wouldn't be in the least surprised, Jackie, if we got nothing at all. At least -- down here.

Even if much of SoCal gets rain, WE may not. Limited rainstorms have to come in at just the right angle to thread the needle between ranges of hills, into "Pleasant Valley."

Jeri

• roseblush1
    9 years ago

You may be interested in this site.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/index.html

Warning .... clicking on the links can be quite depressing.

Lyn

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

All we are getting is very, very dense fog. I haven't seen the sun for over two weeks. Zero visibility trying to get to work in the morning. In addition to that, the air is incredibly dirty due to wood smoke, etc., from fireplaces, burning, (can't believe farmers are allowed to burn their trash here as the air is some of the dirtiest in the nation). Supposed to have a 20% chance of rain on Tuesday. I'll believe it when I see it. If we do get it, that will be great. Afterwards, there will be even more fog! Welcome to the central valley in winter. Gloom!

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Here in the north we received an inch and a half a week ago. Now things look iffy. I did look at a projection for Feb. that looked pretty wet but who knows.

Original Author
    9 years ago

mustbnuts, I so well remember the Tule fog when I lived in Sacramento. Week after week without ever seeing the sun was so depressing. I feel for you.

We have a fireplace but never use it because of the pollution it causes. Too bad the neighbors don't feel the same way.

Pam, I'm so glad you had more rain. With that many roses you need every drop you can get. It's supposed to rain here the coming week but the weathermen are so often wrong.

Ingrid

Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, it IS raining today. I'm so happy, especially as it came earlier in the day and seems to be raining longer and harder than predicted. Jeri, I sincerely hope you will also have the benefit of this storm. On the radar map it seems to be moving toward your region also, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, and for everyone else in our general area.

Ingrid

• paparoseman
    9 years ago

So far here in Western Washington State we have had AVERAGE rainfall so far this winter. BUT the temperature in the mountains has been such that we are at fifty percent of average snow pack. The major problem for So Cal is that a LOT of people moved to an area that BEFORE there was pipelines and deep wells it was a DESERT.

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

60% chance of rain in LA on 1/29 ...
    Yesterday's showers were delightful.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

yup! Got a little bit of rain yesterday morning early. Everything sure is a pretty shade of green here. First time I have seen the hills green in two years! Even getting some wild flowers already. Nice change. I think we are scheduled to get some more rain in a week or so. Until then, fog, fog, fog.....

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

A little raincloud has been coming 'round and weeping over our gardens every seven to twelve days so far this winter. I haven't been there to see how much, but hopefully enough to keep everbody alive and green since that's the only water they're getting. I wish I could send the little cloud on rounds to water everyone elses gardens.

. . . . .
    The gardens at Humpty Dumpty House are temporarily closed. Please visit Humpty Dumpty House on facebook. If you like what we do, please give us a page "like". This simple act can help us get the gardens and our work back up and running during my absence due to an injury. ~Thank you!

https://www.facebook.com/HumptyDumptyHouse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Facebook Page for Humpty Dumpty House

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x