Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Would Wild Rabbit Droppings Work as Fertilizer?

The area behind the far end of the house contains only trees and is surrounded by a hedge of tall junipers. The wild rabbits often gather there because they seem to feel safe and I also put out fresh water there for them and the birds. The area now has quite an accumulation of droppings. How would they work as fertilizer for the roses?

Ingrid

Comments (12)

• catsrose
    10 years ago

should be fine, especially the older ones.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Don't see why not.
    Much of the natural world is fertilized in just such a manner.

• Evenie
    10 years ago

Of all the varieties of excrement available, I find rabbit poop to be the least offensive. Honestly, I wish I had some!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That sounds like an unqualified yes, thank you! It is inoffensive, absolutely no odor I can detect. I'm only left wondering how beneficial it is, but I suppose anything organic has to be good, to whatever degree.

Ingrid

• nastarana
    10 years ago

Wabbit droppings to induce regrowth of the canes the wabbits ate?

If you want wabbits, I can ship you some. Our wabbits think alba roses are wabbit candy. Grrrrr.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Wabbit poo was my Nana's favorite fertilizer, and she had four green thumbs. I think it was because she didn't have to worry about it burning anything.

• damask55linen
    10 years ago

No one has been envious of my pitiful garden- until now! I've been feeding the field rabbits my extra aged to perfection vegetables , and in turn they congregate at my yard after munching the ALFALFA field...

Original Author
    10 years ago

nastarana, I can imagine your frustration. Our rabbits get culled every year by coyotes, bobcats and the occasional mountain lion, and the few that are left by now for some reason don't bother the roses. They seem to enjoy eating the fallen leaves from the trees in that area and don't venture in the garden very often.

floridarose and damask, it sounds as though it's good stuff. I'll have to see whether my roses perk up after a few applications.

Ingrid

• subk3
    10 years ago

Rabbit droppings â Fertilizer
    Rabbit droppings = Compost

All sorts a great reasons to add manures and compost, but the NPK values are generally too low to be considered fertilizer. So yes, use it for the organic matter, micro-nutrients, soil improvement, et. al. Just keep in mind that it may not be enough quantity (especially since you are getting it from the wild) to solve any NPK deficiencies as a true fertilizer would.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I remember vaguely some potential for a transmittable disease from the droppings in CA, something to keep in mind--wear gloves but you probably do anyway.

Original Author
    10 years ago

hoovb, yes that was something I had considered. I never wear gloves (silly, I know) but do wash my hands thoroughly after handling the droppings.

subk3, you're right about not having enough material to put on all my roses and I consider it more as something to nourish my poor soil than the roses. It costs nothing and that way the rabbits aren't sitting in their own poop all the time.

Ingrid

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville