Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heritage Rose Foundation Conference at Mottisfont Abbey

Posted by cemeteryrose USDA 9/Sunset 14 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 21:40

It's official - the conference will be June 21-23. We are finalizing details and will share them as soon as possible. A day in the gardens at Mottisfont; some lectures another day; some garden tours on the third day - sounds like heaven. This is the time of year that Janelle and I visited there in 2009 and I thought it was the trip of a lifetime. Well, here I am, planning to go again! Hope that some of you will be there, too.
Anita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heritage Rose Foundation Conference at Mottisfont Abbey

An astonishing garden. This one is well worth saving our pennies for!

o

I have eagerly been awaiting this announcement. Let the revels begin!

o

Ooh, this is so tempting!

o

I've been waiting for the announcement. We already have our flight booked and half the trip planned. I can't wait!

o

I can't go, but I sure envy all of you--enjoy that wonderful garden and bring us back some gorgeous pictures, please!

Kate

o

The HRF site says "details shortly". Does anyone know what that means? I don't know how long I can hold my breath...

Jackie

o

We've already booked our flight as well. We had to get our tickets before the end of December because of frequent flier miles expiring, so we just blocked out what we thought would work. If something went wrong, well, we would still have had a nice vacation. Fortunately our guess was a good one.

Rosefolly

o

Blimey - a rosey conference here in the UK!! Not that just anyone can simply rock up to Mottisfont, but it sure would be tempting to arrange a visit, simply to meet up with other rose fanatics.

o

Suzy, a visit would be wonderful!
Anita

o

yeah, i could lurk about outside, wearing a top-hat or summat!

Will give it some serious thought (and it is always worth a visit to see the roses, at peak bloom time).

o

Aside from a trip to England, which we are well overdue for, what can one expect from being in attendance at this conference? I mean, I am sure I will be absolutely enamored by the beautiful roses and the fragrance there, but I am really unfamiliar with HRF, and know that gardening in England is starkly different from that in my climate. Could you all refer me to a website or provide information?

Lynn

o

Lynn, the Heritage Rose Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and promoting old roses. Headquartered in Louisiana but international in scope. A good group to look into (heritagerosefoundation.org or the FaceBook page). The Lakeland Florida meeting in November was the most recent HRF event.

This next year, David Stone, head gardener at Mottisfont, will be retiring, so this conference is part of the celebration of his years of great work there, in the garden that really was inspired by Graham Stuart Thomas. The program will likely emphasize all things GST and his huge influence on the world of old-rose growing.

The conference will likely have a series of lectures, as well as workshops in the garden itself, as well as one or more bus tours to nearby gardens.

These events are always great good fun, opportunities to meet many "famous" (or infamous) rosarians, hear some great talks, see some amazing gardens, and just enjoy the camaradarie of several great days with other rose folks. I've attended many of these, around the world, and they're always well worth doing.

o

Seriously, I could just nip down to Winchester and pay to go in to the Abbey, no? I did look up some of the details - I could stretch to joining the HRF but not to actually going to the conference (all those dinners and tours). It would be nice to say hello to forum chums (despite serial shyness).

o

Well Camp, please don't write it off just yet. At least here in Lakeland, we had à-la-carte pricing, so you could eat or ride (or not) as desired. Perhaps something similar will happen in Winchester.

o

Does the HRF have a UK branch? Or, do you have British members? I am not really one for joining clubs and such - I don't even know if we have anything similar in the UK. I did briefly join the RHS (it was a birthday present) but, to be fair, I mainly wanted the monthly magazine (although they were pretty bad at sending copies, I only ever got about 4 of them). And as I simply download Rosamundi, what are the advantages of joining if everything happens in the US?
This sounds terrible but I am not that fussed about missing out on talks and that - I am completely amateur with zero expert credentials (despite having an loud opinion about everything) so it would mostly go over my head.....but I would definitely be happy to hang out in the rose garden and say hello to passing conference attendees.....or do you get locked up in conference mode all day?

o

malcolm_manners,

Thank you for the information. When I first became enamored with roses, I had a membership with the ARS and every catalog I could get my hands on. It was during that time period that laid eyes on my first Austin rose, GST, which led me to acquiring knowledge of Mr. G.S.T. This event seems to have the makings to be very special.
Based upon the images I have seen of Mottisfont, all that comes to mind is Wow!!

Lynn

o

From the little I know there will be one day of talks and a couple of days of bus tours. Probably no dinner banquet this time. I doubt the talks would be over your head Camp. One of the things that I enjoy most about these things is seeing my friends, some from all over the world. It's great to be at an event where everyone shares a love of roses. I've been dying to get back to England and Mottisfont and planned to go this year whether the conference came off or not.

o

I for one am hoping that there will be a dinner. Tom is going on a bicycle tour in Ireland while we have the conference, and we were planning that he would be back to join us for the dinner. Oh well, in any case he will come at the end to see old friends.

o

HRF doesn't really have "branches" or chapters; it does have numerous British members. Rosa Mundi and the in-between newsletters are the main products; otherwise we have these delightful meetings. Rosefolly, I'd think there will be a dinner, but if not, we GW folks could certainly create an event of our own! No one will go hungry...

o

Wot, no dinner? I'm only going for the dinner!

Best wishes,
Jon

o

Jon, you are one of the old friends Tom will be coming to see!

Rosefolly

o

Jon, you are one of the reasons that I am going.

o

Someday.... Sigh! :-)

o

Slight realignment of the dates (1 day later) due to the hotel not being able to do the original plan. I hope that doesn't mess with anyone's already made reservations. But these dates should be final

June 22 -- evening reception
June 23 -- lectures in Winchester
June 24 -- a day of tours and workshops at Mottisfont Abbey
June 25 -- bus tours. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: HRF website with conference info.

o

Hmmm... I am not sure I want to go all the way to England to stay in a Holiday Inn for 4 nights - the last time we were there we stayed inside of the gates at Stourhead, which is a National Trust property which has old parts of a village still there, so there are places you can stay. It was amazing to be able to get up in the morning before they opened the gates and go for a run around the ornamental lake & gardens with no one around except ducks.

I still am thinking about this, but yesterday my DH got an offer to go to Hawaii for a week and race sailboats in a gorgeous venue, so we are now considering 2 competing vacations. I hope we get all of the details about the HRF conference soon, so we can do a real comparison. 11 hours in a plane vs 5 is also a consideration...

Jackie

o

We are thinking of going. The air fare is expensive, but hubby has a free companion ticket coupon, so we might be able to swing it. And then do a few days in London.

o

Hello everyone!
I'll be there!! A big BIG thank you to Stephen & Co. for inviting me :)

Maurizio

o

Just came across this blog by the Craftsman Gardener at Mottisfont and thought I should share.
Nik

Here is a link that might be useful: Mottisfont Gardener Blog

o

jealous, jealous, stuffed with envy...... if you don't all come back with huge numbers of pictures there will be serious trouble.....

Ingrid

o

Looking forward to meeting you, Maurizio!

By the way, Mendocino Rose pointed out to me that it is now possible to register. Just in case anyone has been waiting with bated breath.

Folly

o

Yes, register at heritagerosefoundation.org

If you are a UK National Trust member or a member of Royal Oak, you can get the discounted price; otherwise, choose the "nonmember" pricing (which means not NT or RO member, rather than whether or not you are a HRF member). Or join one of those organizations first (UK residents would do NT; we in the USA would join Royal Oak). If you plan to visit numerous other National Trust properties while in the UK, it can save money. If you don't then it's probably cheaper to pay the non-member registration price.

If you book the official Holiday Inn in Winchester, be sure to tell them up front that you are with the Heritage Rose Foundation conference, and if the clerk seems a bit clueless, assure them that we have a block of rooms already set aside. Do NOT let them transfer you to a call center in some unknown country on some unknown continent!

This post was edited by malcolm_manners on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 16:39

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here