Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adam_harbeck

Hugo Roller - full bush

Adam Harbeck
9 years ago

Does anybody have any pics of a mature Hugo Roller bush?
I'm trying to decide where in the garden to plonk him.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• jannorcal
    9 years ago

Hugo isn't available in the US. So probably not many on here have experience with him.

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh really? That's a shame.
    Hopefully some fellow Aussies will be able to help.

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    9 years ago

Sorry Adam, I don't have a photo. Ross Roses in S.A. describe it as a medium sized bush, and I see from Margaret Furness's pic on HelpMeFind that it can be kept pruned short. (There are 4 of them planted in a row at the Adelaide Botanic Gardens - I expect you've seen that photo.)

I know I've seen it at Ross Roses, before their display gardens were destroyed by the drought, but my only, pretty hazy, memory, is that it wasn't very full and leafy - a bit straggly in fact; although that could've been due to some stress or other - a lot of their roses hadn't seemed too happy, I thought, for some years.

I wonder if the reason the ones in the photo were pruned short was to make them branch out/ fuller? That might back up my hazy recollection. Anyway, presumably they didn't resent this treatment.

Perhaps someone else will have a picture. Alternatively, you could try the Roses in Oz forum, or perhaps you could contact/post a question for Margaret Furness on HelpMeFind? - I see she grows it in her own garden too.

BTW, did you manage to come to any decision on a rose for your kumquat tree? Please tell us on that thread if you did - it's always nice to hear when there's a conclusion to these dilemmas!

I know, I should get a life! LOL

Comtesse :ì)

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Comtesse. I might have to treck back up to Araleuen to see what he looks like up there. I'm sure they have one.
    Hes in a bit of a sorry state at the moment, so I'll leave him to recuperate in a pot for the rest of the warmer months.

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here he is two days after potting on in a shady spot. The flowers are almost completely ivory, but will turn cerise when he gets put out in the sunshine.

• clpsonoma
    9 years ago

Hugo Roller - I love it. I picked some from my dear friends garden and made this flower arrangement with only hugo roller roses. Why can't you grow this rose in the USA?

• nbncx2
    9 years ago

adamharbeck -- you don't have a copy of TEA ROSES -- OLD ROSES FOR WARM GARDENS? It was written in Australia by Australian rosarians and contains photos and important info on 'Hugo Roller'. Rush out post haste and get a copy, Chop chop . . .

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have it! I refer to it on a weekly basis.It'ss a great book, but the height and bush descriptions can be a little vague and like hmf, most of the photos are flower closeups. I was going through my phone and found a photo of Hugo I took at Araluen Botanic park. He's a big boy.

• Adam Harbeck
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine has some growing to do. ..

• ozmelodye
    9 years ago

Adam, in Botanica's Roses HR is described as a compact bush, whose low growth makes it a good choice for borders,where it should be planted in groups of three! I can only find 1 photo of the bush in a copy of Trevor Nottle's book " Growing Old-Fashioned Roses in Australia and New Zealand"(1983) It seems to be quite a hefty rose in this, but there is no other comment in the book except the general description of teas which can often reach 2.75m if left to their own devices. After all that, I did have it in my garden, but it was when Melbourne was wetter, so it really didn't like it AT ALL. It stayed low ( under 1 m), very sparse foliage, the flowers,which hang down, invariably balled in the rain,so wasn't too upset when it finally carked it. However, looking at your photos I think he will be a big boy for you and I really envy you the flowers, which are truly beautiful when they can open properly.

Melodye