Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linjon54

Identification of Rose Bush

linjon zone 5
10 years ago

I have a rose bush that my mother in law had. It is a climber. I would like to
know if anyone can tell me what this rose is. I don't know how long she had it only that she moved it from her old home to this one when she moved here. It does have a nice scent and only blooms once in the spring.

This post was edited by linjon on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 11:23

Comments (19)

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Does it Have any scent?

Does it bloom just in spring? Or bloom all season?

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Yeah, how does it smell? First glance made me think climbing Crimson Glory, an old favorite, still loved. Very nice fragrance.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I think it very possibly could be Dr. Huey. Dr. Huey is a root stock rose that has been used extensively for many decades.

• User
    10 years ago

my first thought as well (Huey) even though it is never used for rootstock over here, I have seen it growing as a perfectly OK climber (until the PM hits). If the blooms lasted a bit longer, it would be a rather good rose in the UK (especially since vigorous red climbers are not that easy to come by). Certainly healthier than the weedy Souvenir de Claudius Denoyel, which, despite having a few lovely flowers, is still a sadly gaunt and leggy specimen for me (although I take the blame for neglectful care).

linjon zone 5 thanked User
  • linjon zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for responding so quickly to my inquiry. This rose does have a scent and blooms once in the spring.

This post was edited by linjon on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 12:13

• linjon zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some of the photos on the Dr. Huey site look a lot like my rose so it is probably that. Seems to be a nice rose anyway and it was my mother-in-laws so I will be keeping it anyway.
    Thank you so much for the info.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Dr. Huey puts on a spectacular display in yards and fields all over the country.in the spring. It can be quite lovely. The reason it gets a bad rep is because it's sort of a thug and will sometimes take over what ever rose was grafted to it and it is rather disease prone. If you like it keep it!

linjon zone 5 thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • roseseek
    10 years ago

It's frequently joked around here, Dr. Huey is our "state rose" due to all the suckers left in the ground from plants poorly taken care of. Often it seems immortal. Where it's climatically suited, it can be spectacular, but that's mainly in hard, cold winter areas with short summer growing seasons. Just the type for which it was bred and selected. Historically, it was a milestone rose, providing the first "hardy" darker colored door yard rose for the North East. Kim

linjon zone 5 thanked roseseek
  • linjon zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess that it suits my area then as we usually have cold winters and short summer growing seasons. This year though it is hard to figure today it is in the 50s and for this area 50s in Jan. are not the norm. We put it on the side of our garage and it gets sun all day. Seems to like it there. As for being a "thug" it has a lot of room to do so where it is. Thank you so much for the information.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

You're welcome Linjon. It just shows most roses are good where they are well suited. I think you'll enjoy it. Kim

linjon zone 5 thanked roseseek
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

If you decide to keep it, you can make it prettier after its done flowering by planting a Type-3 clematis at its base, turning the rose into a living trellis. The clematis will bloom after the rose through the Summer, and cover any mildew which the rose may get. Just remember that Type-3 clematis bloom on new wood, so give it a hard pruning every Spring.

:-)

~Christopher

linjon zone 5 thanked AquaEyes 7a NJ
  • linjon zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really like that idea Christopher and will check into doing so this spring. Right now I have another rose growing next to it. It is another one that I do not have a name for. It has small pink roses. When I was growing up a next door lady to my parents had this rose. She was very special to us and like a grandmother. I keep this rose in her memory. Maybe someone can identify this rose. It also only blooms once in the spring. I don't think it has much of a fragrance. and don't know how old it is. Though I do know she had it as long as I can remember so it would have to go at least back to the 50 or 60s.

This post was edited by linjon on Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 23:42

• linjon zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A photo of the thorns.

• linjon zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another photo of the rose bush.

• linjon zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One more photo.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Looks like Excelsa.

linjon zone 5 thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I had some left-over Dr. Huey's growing on this property when I bought it (many years ago)--I let it grow for several more years and thoroughly enjoyed its spring display. However, you need to be more strongly warned. After its spring display, it becomes a disease-magnet--blackspot will devastate it and you will have nothing but bare sticks growing out of the ground for the rest of the season. I don't think even a healthy clematis will be able to disguise that problem!

I'm talking MAJOR bs problems. I eventually dug up my Dr. Huey and planted some disease-resistant roses in its place.

Kate

linjon zone 5 thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
  • linjon zone 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My mother in law brought this rose here when she moved here in 1990. So it has been living here since then. It's never been bothered with black spot much since then. I did have a problem one year with mildew on it. Usually if I spray that is taken care of. The reason I have kept it is it was my mother in laws and I like the blossoms on it.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville