Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shopshops

Raised bed for bare roots

shopshops
10 years ago

Well well it's bareroot rose season again. As usual I have ordered more roses than I have the time to plant before the "hell temperatures" arrive in North Texas. I have a couple bare roots that should arrive any time soon. For the curious Mollineaux and Marchessa Bocella (not bare rooted from ARE).

I plan to use a cedar raised bed kit that is 10 inches deep.Will I have enough depth if I clear the grass and plant them only in the amended garden mix and compost that I normally use? Or will I actually have to dig into the Earth to at least 8 inches making a total of 18 inches deep?

Please tell me nice things :-) :-) I garden in Texas clay. And I have 8 more roses to plant. I will place the others in the ground no problems. These will be potted from ARE. But I have to hurry with the bare roots because of our crazy quick warm up in Texas. Much thanks and Happy Rose gardening!!!

Comments (14)

• Evenie
    10 years ago

Roses have rather deep roots, and that should be encouraged as they will be more drought tolerant. I would amend the soil as deeply as possible.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

I am not at an expert level, but have grown roses in raised beds, and definitely agree with Evenie. I would dig deep; at LEAST 8", and also amend that soil underneath the raised bed kit with compost or whatever you generally use as an amendment for roses.

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 13:18

• shopshops
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dessert garden and Evenie for saving me from myself. I guess this will teach me .ot to bite off more than I can chew.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Shopshops, I agree with the others. I think you've got clay and caliche somewhere under your raised beds, so I'd dig down into native soil and amend a bit, mixing in whatever your personal secret amendment formula happens to be. Eventually your rose roots will hit clay and such, but soil transistion and gradual adjustment is helpful. This summer you'll be glad you scraped together enough time to do the prep. It will save you months of wilting roses and frustration and gallons of water! Carol

• shopshops
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Carol. I so treasure the advice I get on here from my rose friends. Rightyho!! No more laziness will be out there tommorow if the freezing rain doesn't stop me.....

• Evenie
    10 years ago

Garden gypsum breaks up heavy clay nicely, and is an excellent buffer if your pH is off.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Best of luck, Shopshops! Post pics when your beds are in? Carol

• nikthegreek
    10 years ago

I always dig down to 50cm (about 20") when I plant roses.
    Nik

• shopshops
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Evenie, Carol and Nix. I pledge to be a poster of pics this year!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Raised beds for me. Line them with newspapers. They will work through the newspapers and the newspapers will help to enrich the soil below. Make sure you have several layers of newspaper, an inch thick if possible. You can also use magazines. Dyes in slick ads now are no problem.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

The deeper you dig, the more weeds you are bringing up. I don't need any more weeds than I already have. My newspaper blocks the sunlight from the weeds and in the time it takes the roses to reach down to the other layer of soil, my newspapers have killed off a lot of weed seeds. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

• shopshops
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love your story as well Patricia. I have awful Bermuda grass. So I will remove the grass before I lay the newspapers. My bareroots came on Saturday. Its warming up here in Texas. Got to get them in the ground.

• shopshops
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love your story as well Patricia. I have awful Bermuda grass. So I will remove the grass before I lay the newspapers. My bareroots came on Saturday. Its warming up here in Texas. Got to get them in the ground.

• BettyJSmith
    9 years ago

Just asked this question on the HGTV site and received a reply from "The Gestalt Gardener" Felder Rushing. He said that I should turn the soil at least a shovel depth, incorporate compost and top with an additional inch of mulch to dress the bed and, of course, to conserve moisture. Then either add material to hold the soil in place, such as either boards or stones. I would love to go out and find some, but here in my part of MS, we just don't have them naturally, at least not to any size.
    I also overdid it this year with the roses. I have 30 outside right now resting in mulch till I can finish the rose beds! And I have another 11 coming sometime this week! Going to be busy this week, but I know how happy I will be to see my roses bloom!